Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
By the way, why are you formatting SDHC in a PC?

Hello, I just remembered I've been meaning to mention this for awhile. When it comes to formatting a SDHC card, I format it inside my digital camera, not the PC. The reason is because for whatever reason, PC's don't format them properly which _may_ be related to possible issues. Also, the camera is fast.

Panasonic makes free SDHC formatter software for Windows http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The PP doesn't support the ability to format SD/SDHC cards. I think it is actually better to have a device support formatted memory cards from a PC as you can switch cards between readers without hassle. I know some cameras are funny if you plug in a memory card from another camera. Using a standard base such as a PC for formatting relieves this potential problem.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thumbs up Because our manual did not mention it.

Here is the "Official" SD card association download link.
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

Both locations have a FAQ

The software only works on Windows.. No Mac or Linux

The software should not be used to format other than SD, SDHC media

Great find
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
The PP doesn't support the ability to format SD/SDHC cards. I think it is actually better to have a device support formatted memory cards from a PC as you can switch cards between readers without hassle. I know some cameras are funny if you plug in a memory card from another camera. Using a standard base such as a PC for formatting relieves this potential problem.
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/ FAQ inferred that this was not a Camera specific requirement, but a CARD level requirement.

BTW A camera that is fussy is non-compliant with the SD spec

My Nikon Coolpix plays nice with my Wife Cannon AND my PEz (you can view photos on you PEz, just in Grey scale.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/ FAQ inferred that this was not a Camera specific requirement, but a CARD level requirement.

BTW A camera that is fussy is non-compliant with the SD spec

My Nikon Coolpix plays nice with my Wife Cannon AND my PEz (you can view photos on you PEz, just in Grey scale.
Well bugger me, thanks theducks, I had no real idea. I know a SD card is recognised as a block device, but I would have assumed that Windows would have formatted the card within specifications of the standard. Is this limited to Windows and an inability to handle flash memory correctly?

Learn something everyday.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well bugger me, thanks theducks, I had no real idea. I know a SD card is recognised as a block device, but I would have assumed that Windows would have formatted the card within specifications of the standard. Is this limited to Windows and an inability to handle flash memory correctly?

I assumed Windows and Linux knew how to format it also.

I was aware of the "block" nature of flash. It did not dawn on me that Windows/Mac/Linux could not detect and format correctly

RobertB
Another important request for the factory.
On the Settings Menu: Format Storage (With appropriate warnings, and security code keypresses required)

1. Format SD Card
2. Format internal

Not everyone has a Windows PC to be able to run the official SD formating program.

While we are at it, why not have options to check the storage for errors (dosfsck)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
For Duckey... anything!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I assumed Windows and Linux knew how to format it also.

I was aware of the "block" nature of flash. It did not dawn on me that Windows/Mac/Linux could not detect and format correctly

RobertB
Another important request for the factory.
On the Settings Menu: Format Storage (With appropriate warnings, and security code keypresses required)

1. Format SD Card
2. Format internal

Not everyone has a Windows PC to be able to run the official SD formating program.

While we are at it, why not have options to check the storage for errors (dosfsck)
Dear Duckey:

OK. Will bring up to the factory and try to get that Format Storage option added. Agree we need it. Just cannot promise as factory keeps saying "who pay engineering dumb you?". I think they pronounce Robertb and "Dumb You" the same way.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Duckey:

I think they pronounce Robertb and "Dumb You" the same way.

You can gently remind them that every Camera that uses a SD Card can do this out of the box.
And they end up with a better product line (should be on all SD Card models)

Last edited by theducks; 03-24-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:

I wouldn't worry excessively. A plain FAT format will work fine in nearly every situation. The SD card manufacturers are probably covering themselves, and ensuring the greatest chance of compatibility in every situation.

I have seen examples where one device formats it one way, and then it doesn't work so well in a second device - but then format it in the second device - and it works well in both. Luckily these situations are rare. I have a little folder with about 20 SD cards that I regularly swap between cameras and music players and other things. Some have been formatted in Windows - even set up as bootable devices for my netbook. They are very reliable.

Formatting internal flash memory with an external operating system worries moe more.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote