Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #3901
Lizzzzie
Lizzzzie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
@Analogus
Hi there!
I've installed the latest Zork version on my PRS-350, there are some really awesome features, congrats, but unfortunately sice I installed it the highlighting tool in notes doesn't work anymore. I tried getting it back by tweaking some PRS+ settings, it works once or twice and then stops working. It worked fine with PRS+ (I used it for a year before I intalled Zork). Given I use this tool on a daily basis, it really annoys me. Do you know if it's fixable? If not, how can I uninstall Zork?
Thanks
Lizzzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #3902
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Lizzzzie

Welcome to MR!

Please give us your workflow using the "highlighting tool in notes", as to my knowledge, ZORK-Edition doesn't change anything in this code. So the problem may also exist in more recent versions of PRS+

OTOH: uninstall ZORK by
A) install any other version of PRS+
B) run the uninstaller form the project-page (giving you an stock firmware again)
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #3903
Lizzzzie

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Lizzzzie

Please give us your workflow using the "highlighting tool in notes", as to my knowledge, ZORK-Edition doesn't change anything in this code. So the problem may also exist in more recent versions of PRS+
While reading a book, I press the "options" key, then "notes", "create/edit". I then select the highlighting tool (or marker as it is called in the manual, first on the left) and tap and stroke to select words/sentences. The pen tool works fine, the eraser too. I can still highlight words outside of the "notes" menu, to use a dictionnary for example.
As I said before, it worked fine with PRS+ alone, before I installed Zork. I'm not saying Zork is directly responsible, but I'd like to know if that kind of problem has been reported before, or if it's just bad luck.
Hope that helps
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #3904
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thank you.
I just tried with a PRS-650 and latest nightly form the default-repository (it is near but not identical to ZORK), and I found no problem.

Though it was reported before, and there might be a problem with "highligthing" see issue 342 on the project-page.
Maybe it interferes with some of the Tap- and/or Swipe-Options.
Try to reset them all to default.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #3905
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Just a view words (more later):

I have this problem too. Highlighting or using dic sometimes is not possible. I think the reason could be a not closed invisible overlay.

A
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #3906
Lizzzzie

The symptoms of my reader are indeed identical to those of the issue you mention Mark, except they happened with Zork. A reset of the tap and swipe options did nothing (I did that several times already), so I just went with uninstall. I then installed PRS+ 2.1 alpha, and everything is fine again.
Edit: thank you Analogus, I feel less alone I hope you'll be able to figure it out without too much trouble.

Last edited by Lizzzzie; 10-27-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #3907
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Lizzzzie

Yes, I WILL find it out. At least because it's 'my' version and I want it to be as good as possible. Sadly I have had not much spare time for tracing this glitch in the past. But I love my 2 PRS350 as much as at th first day and so I will continue to improve them.

Mark:

I will upload my brute altered files (they are narrowing your changes) and maybe you could have a look at them and find the glitch. Will do it in a view days.

A.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #3908
Lizzzzie

I will wait for another version then
By the way, the "Navigating with tapping onto the black bar at the top of the page" part is pure genius, I already miss it very very much.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #3909
Analogus
Fanatic

Mark:

I think it's an issue of PRS 2.1 Alpha. So far as I can remember I have had no problem until I merged my Zork with alpha.

The glitch is quite strange. It's not possible to highlight or use a dic SOMETIMES. It depends on the page of a book you are using. Say, the first page might be ok, on the second page you only coul use the last 3 lines, on the next page line 9-13 is unusable...

After playing quite a while I may clearly say, this behaviour is connected to SINGLE PARAGRAPHS (Absätze)!
Roughly each second paragraph is not working. If one word is not working, the whole paragraph is not working. Most of the time, the next paragraph is ok, the following refuses to work, ...

A.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #3910
Lizzzzie

I wasn't using 2.1 alpha, I was using 2.0.18.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #3911
Analogus
Fanatic

Lizzzzie:

You're right. Mentioned behaviour is present in 2.0.18 too. After a couple of tests I found out, that some epubs make problems and others not.

A.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #3912
Analogus
Fanatic

Hi all

Concerning problems highlighting and using dics:

I left comments in the issues list.

I have no glue what the reason fo this glitch could be. But it affects all downloadable versions at least for the PRS350 and my ZORK-edition. It's clearly constricted to (some, not each) epubs.

If an epub is affected, roughly every other paragraph is affected (not possible to highlight words, phrases, using dics).

You can remove this behaviour by converting the EPUB into RTF and convert THIS file (be carefull with callibre, it may convert it from the original epub-file to a new epub file and the result will have the same bug) back to EPUB.

I think this bug is a real dealbreaker for 'normal' users and should be removed as quick as possible.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 11-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #3913
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Hi Analogus,

have you also tested with unalterd Sony-FW (PRS+ Save-Mode)?
Please see PM, too
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3914
Analogus
Fanatic

hi mark

Testfile will be uploaded this evening. have to test it in save mode.

A
Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #3915
drmtiede
drmtiede began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs350
page autoturner

Hi, first of all, great work you did!

second: i use the auto-pageturner option reading in bed, snuggled up under my blanket but would like to modify the time: 40 sec is to fast, 50 sec annoying slow. i would like to se it to 45 sec but it's not included in the list. is there a way to set it manually maybe changing a file with gedit under ubuntu - maybe sacrifying the 120 sec button?

thx
drmtiede is offline   Reply With Quote