Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #106
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvier View Post
How unfortunate... would it be possible with some kind of 3rd party app ?
On the Android threads some Nexus 7 users installed an app do this since at the beginning USB OTG was unsupported... Stick Mount was the one most often mentioned but it requires "root".
Also mentioned was an app developed for the Nexus but working on other Android tablets (3.2+) without root.
It hasn't been tried on an Arc that I know of.
Link to thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=USB+otg
QUOTE:
Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, or other Android 3.2+ devices with USB Host support. This is the only non-root solution for devices that do not provide native support for external flash storage. Requires the following hardware:

1) An Android 3.2+ device. Examples include Google Nexus devices or the Motorola Xoom.
2) A USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. Cost approximately $1 USD on Amazon), see screenshots for examples.
3) A USB Flash Drive or USB SD Card Reader and SD Card, see screen shots for examples.

To use:
-If you are using an SD card reader, put the card in the reader first.
-Attach the OTG cable to the Nexus or other device.
-Attach your USB device to the OTG cable.
-The application will launch automatically.
-Select the file. The selected file's path appears in the preview window (currently only photos show preview).
-Click the play icon to stream or the save (disk) icon
-If save is successful, you can click the download notification to view it or see it in the Downloads app.

Technical Notes:

-DOES NOT REQUIRE ROOT!
-The USB drive/flash card must be formatted as FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS (currently no exFAT or extN support). FAT & NTFS are the most common formats for SD and USB Drives.
-Read Only. You can not write to the attached device, only copy to the Android device.
-This a media streamer and file copy utility. It requires third party software to view multimedia content and read documents. Many formats are supported directly by Android, but other are not. In particular, "MKV", "AVI" and most doc. types require additional software. There are many excellent free and paid apps. in the Play market. For example: http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...spandroid.free

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #107
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvier View Post
How unfortunate... would it be possible with some kind of 3rd party app ?
No, or at least, probably not.
OTG require a USB (micro usb do) with host capacity.
It need to have the hardware to do it, it need the kernel that accept it and then it need the software to support it.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #108
dan27
dan27 began at the beginning.

Device: arc
got my arc 10 days ago, loaded a few movies, some epubs, photos, and mp3s.
It took a while to figure out how to use the supplied apps but all seemed to be working and I was begining to like the ARC. Then I started having problems side loading, ARC would appear in my win7 explorer window and files would start to copy, and then the arc would dissappear from the explorer window! A shut down and restart would get it back and then files would copy but sometimes it would take 2-3 restarts for it to keep working. OK I can live with this for a while, then yesterday NO SOUND! I played with the volume switch and the settings menu to no avail. In the settings menu for notifications if I changed to different sounds then I could hear that sound but no sound from any app. Called KOBO support today and after several suggestions we did a factory reset. Had to start right from the beginng and go thru the update and the rest of the start up crap. Still only notification sounds and no sounds from the mp3 player or screen touches. Apparenly their is no Tier two help available on the weekend so the rep I had could not help me any further.
I have not loaded any apps and only side loaded a few mp3s to use to see if I had any sound so it is not a app conflict unless it is one of the preloaded apps. Also had the ARC dissappear from my coputer screen while downloading the mp3s. tried a new usb cable to make sure that it was not the cable.
Getting very frustrated, regretting buying the ARC.
dan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #109
Artepru
Artepru began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Dont give up yet...

Hi Dan 27. I bought my wife a new Nexus 7 32Gb 3 weeks ago and she was so frustrated with it that she made me return it to Costco.....my wife has a patience level of 3/10....
So, my daughter-in-law who has a Kobo and happy with it , 'convinced us' to try the new Kobo Arc. The wife is super happy with it compared to Nexus 7.
Persist with your Arc, and you may have a defective unit or compromised OP system. Return to the seller/dealer and demand a replacement. No one should have to endure what you have with a NEW unit !
Hope it works out for you.
Artepru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #110
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Like Artepru said, don't give up. Faulty hardware can happen to any device no matter who makes it. The Nexus 7 had it happen when the screens pulled away form the units on an early batch of units. It's well within the warranty period and I'd return it and get a replacement unit.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #111
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
got my arc 10 days ago, loaded a few movies, some epubs, photos, and mp3s.
It took a while to figure out how to use the supplied apps but all seemed to be working and I was begining to like the ARC. Then I started having problems side loading, ARC would appear in my win7 explorer window and files would start to copy, and then the arc would dissappear from the explorer window! A shut down and restart would get it back and then files would copy but sometimes it would take 2-3 restarts for it to keep working. OK I can live with this for a while, then yesterday NO SOUND! I played with the volume switch and the settings menu to no avail. In the settings menu for notifications if I changed to different sounds then I could hear that sound but no sound from any app. Called KOBO support today and after several suggestions we did a factory reset. Had to start right from the beginng and go thru the update and the rest of the start up crap. Still only notification sounds and no sounds from the mp3 player or screen touches. Apparenly their is no Tier two help available on the weekend so the rep I had could not help me any further.
I have not loaded any apps and only side loaded a few mp3s to use to see if I had any sound so it is not a app conflict unless it is one of the preloaded apps. Also had the ARC dissappear from my coputer screen while downloading the mp3s. tried a new usb cable to make sure that it was not the cable.
Getting very frustrated, regretting buying the ARC.
Hi Dan, I'm sorry for your headache. I would recommend exchanging the Arc for a new one. It definitely sounds like a hardware issue.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #112
yem2411
yem2411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
Hi everyone.

First of all, I'm not usually one to go out of my way to be one of the first to get a certain product, but the Kobo Arc was exactly what I was looking for. And partly because of this thread, I ordered one from Canada and had a relative send it to me all the way here in New Zealand since I could not bear the wait till we get it in Jan/Feb (according to Whitcoulls).

Anyway... I love it. But I had one concern about the screen. Is it normal to be seeing a grid of little pixels all over the screen when you hold it at different angles. I admit you have to really focus on them to see them but it's a bit distracting. Now that I've seen them, I always see them. Is this a screen defect on my unit or is it just the Kobo's screen quality? I may just be accustomed to my iphone's retina screen...

Any response would be great! Cheers guys!
yem2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #113
yem2411

Also, while I'm here, is there a way to get pdfs into the kobo library? I can do it on the iOS kobo app, but not on the arc. I have quite a few books in pdf format which I have tried converting but the illustrations and layout get a bit messed up so it would be cool to have them left as pdf's but readable in the Kobo library.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #114
skouly
skouly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, HP TouchPad
Hi yem2411. If the dots you are describing are visible when the screen is off and they are all over the screen display at equal distances from each other, don't worry, they are the screen's touch sensors. They are usually only visible at more extreme viewing angles.
skouly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #115
yem2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouly View Post
Hi yem2411. If the dots you are describing are visible when the screen is off and they are all over the screen display at equal distances from each other, don't worry, they are the screen's touch sensors. They are usually only visible at more extreme viewing angles.
Yup they're exactly as you described. Phew. Thanks for that!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #116
skouly

Hi Kobo-Robin: Is it possible to get the battery specifications for the Kobo Arc in mAh or Wh? I have only been able to locate a usage spec of 10 hours of battery life for reading/viewing videos or 336 hours (14 days) for standby. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #117
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Hi Kobo-Robin: Is it possible to get the battery specifications for the Kobo Arc in mAh or Wh? I have only been able to locate a usage spec of 10 hours of battery life for reading/viewing videos or 336 hours (14 days) for standby. Thanks.
I believe its 44000 mAh.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #118
skouly

44000 mAh? That's incredible! That should get us 100 hours or so of online/video playback time..lol...I'm sure you meant 4400 mAh and the extra "0" was a typo. 4400 mAh is pretty good and right up there with the Nexus 7 at 4325 mAh and the 4400 mAh of the Kindle Fire HD. Thanks very much for such a quick response Kobo-Robin!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #119
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
44000 mAh? That's incredible! That should get us 100 hours or so of online/video playback time..lol...I'm sure you meant 4400 mAh and the extra "0" was a typo. 4400 mAh is pretty good and right up there with the Nexus 7 at 4325 mAh and the 4400 mAh of the Kindle Fire HD. Thanks very much for such a quick response Kobo-Robin!
Lol. 4400. Yikes. Thanks for that.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #120
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I'm in need of an ereader that is backlit, and:

- can highlight and make annotations, both of which need to be saved;

- (I read mainly non-fiction Epubs) that will clearly show diagrams and illustrations and maps

- and that can be pinch squeezed in and out in order to be able to see things like maps etc in a clearer and larger manner;

Can the Arc do these things?

I read an MR thread earlier today where the Glo can't successfully do any of these things.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote