Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
stexxe
stexxe began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
CBR conversion to pdf

Hi all,
since last two version (actually I have the 0.8.23) I'm non more able to perform CBR --> PDF conversion. When I start the job and go to the "show job details" I have the following info:

Spoiler:
Convert book 1 of 1 (Le mura di Blackwall)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.23
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': 'left',
'chapter': None,
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'colors': 256,
'comic_image_size': None,
'comments': None,
'cover': 'c:\\users\\stexxe\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_ 0.8.23_tmp_907uhd\\w02xjx.jpeg',
'custom_size': None,
'debug_pipeline': u'C:\\Users\\Stexxe\\Biblioteca di calibre\\Le mura di Blackwall\\Le mura di Blackwall (235)\\debug',
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'despeckle': False,
'disable_font_rescaling': True,
'disable_trim': False,
'dont_add_comic_pages_to_toc': False,
'dont_grayscale': True,
'dont_normalize': False,
'dont_sharpen': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x04D07610>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_aspect_ratio': False,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'landscape': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 0,
'margin_left': 0,
'margin_right': 0,
'margin_top': 0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_process': False,
'no_sort': False,
'orientation': u'portrait',
'output_format': u'jpg',
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.TabletOutput object at 0x04D07AF0>,
'page_breaks_before': None,
'paper_size': u'letter',
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': 'c:\\users\\stexxe\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_ 0.8.23_tmp_907uhd\\cdie2a.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'right2left': False,
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unit': 'inch',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2,
'wide': False}
InputFormatPlugin: Comic Input running
on c:\users\stexxe\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.23_ tmp_907uhd\fa1zwm.cbr
Found comic pages...
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg

I also enabled the debug function, but in the folder is created only the file README.txt and nothing else.

Currently the job is running since 3 hours...

Is there someone that can give me any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Stexxe

Last edited by theducks; 10-23-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Wrapped long log in spoiler
stexxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Please use the Spoiler (the Eye with red X) for long log listings. THNX

3 hours is not long for a really complex convert.
If it has not crashed or hung (use task manager for process status), then let it run overnight (12-24 hours)
BTW a single convert will probably only use a single core, no matter how many you have.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
stexxe

Ehmm still running (5 hours...) and the cbr is really a simple one of 33 pages... previusly it was performed very quickly (15 mins).
The other strange thing is that the debug folder doesn'y contains anything except the readme file.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexxe View Post
Ehmm still running (5 hours...) and the cbr is really a simple one of 33 pages... previusly it was performed very quickly (15 mins).
The other strange thing is that the debug folder doesn'y contains anything except the readme file.
The file may not be written until Calibre (ab)ends
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BTW: why are you converting again? A setting change may be the cause of the time issue.
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
stexxe

I'm converting it because ibook doens't support CBR ^_^ (and all my library is managed with iBooks)
About the single core utilization now I have 8 processes named "calibre-parallel.exe" that are using a huge quantity of mem but no CPU time...
Now I will wait a bit more and try to restore an old version of calibre... is there a specific procedure in order to install an older version?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexxe View Post
I'm converting it because ibook doens't support CBR ^_^ (and all my library is managed with iBooks)
About the single core utilization now I have 8 processes named "calibre-parallel.exe" that are using a huge quantity of mem but no CPU time...
Now I will wait a bit more and try to restore an old version of calibre... is there a specific procedure in order to install an older version?
Simply UN-Instal first via the Windows Control panel.
(I like to re-boot: for a clean slate.)
Install the slightly older version.
Calibre updates the DB structure, so I don't know how far back you can get away with. Kovid would have to answer that. Backup your Library (at least Metadata.db if you put back this version and make no changes to the data)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
stexxe

I found that the problem is related to the "Output Profile".
I have selected "Tablet" (and we are talking about 33 images 1024x1350) and requires more than 5 hours... (I quit after 5 hours...)
If I select "Default output profile" it complete in 2 minutes...

Is there any solution?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
comic conversion does a lot of processing on the images. The amount of time taken by that processing depends on the size of the images. The output profile controls the size.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
stexxe

I download all the portable version from 0.8.19 to 0.8.23 and I think that something happened between the calibre-0.8.21 and the calibre-0.8.22.

On the 21st I'm able to convert the CBR to PDF in 39 seconds, on the 22nd the conversion simply hung (starts 6-8 parallel processes that use a huge quantity of memory but no CPU).

For now I will keep the version 21
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
stexxe

But I'm wondering if is there any changes in the pdf conversion engines between versions 0.8.21 and 0.8.22...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

see the whats new page, for mentions of pdf, that will tell you if there were any changes.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
stexxe

seems that the 0.8.22 doesn't change the pdf conversion engine... but I still have the problem even with the latest version.
Is there something else that I can provide in order to have a better understanding of the problem?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a bug report and attach a file that demonstrates the problem alongwith details about your operating system and calibre version.

Tags
cbr, conversion, pdf