Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
monkeylytics
monkeylytics began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, ipad, kobo, htc hero, sony daily reader
Kobo freezes after power button pressed?

I received my Kobo from Borders a few days ago, and I can't figure out if my Kobo is borked or if I'm doing something wrong.

When I press the power button to suspend the Kobo, the cover of the book I'm reading at the moment shows up on the screen as the Kobo is suspended. At the bottom, it says to press power to start reading. So far, so good.

But if I hit the power button to start reading again, nothing happens. It's only if I hold the power button down and basically reboot the device can I get anything to happen. So, that's say 40 seconds on the reboot, then I have to reload the book, etc. Interestingly, resetting the device with a paperclip in the back doesn't work when it gets in this state.

I'm guessing this isn't how things are supposed to work. But unlike when my Nook would freeze all the time out of the box before the firmware upgrade, I haven't been able to get an answer out of Google on how to fix these Kobo issues. Any help here?

TIA
monkeylytics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Nope, that's how it works... You really are turning it off, and have to wait for the reboot.
Yep, it sucks. I put it on the wish list for the firmware update, but I doubt that it will be changed this time around.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
monkeylytics

Yikes. That's a real pity as overall I kind of like the minimalist approach of the Kobo vs. the other major ereaders. But that's a tough thing to look past. I guess I'll be doing most of my Kobo reading on my iPad and Android phone.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylytics View Post
I guess I'll be doing most of my Kobo reading on my iPad and Android phone.
It sounds like you have too many toys as it is. If you need to unload your Kobo, my wife has really taken a shine to mine and could use one of her own.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
monkeylytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
It sounds like you have too many toys as it is. If you need to unload your Kobo, my wife has really taken a shine to mine and could use one of her own.
I'll just hold it to my chest, rock back and forth, and say "gotta believe!" while I wait for the mothership to make everything better.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
How often do you have to turn it off? I just leave mine on.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
I also just leave mine on. I went 8 days when I first started leaving it on all the time, then I powered it off/on to check the battery - it was down 7/8ths so I recharged it. Since then I recharge it overnight every two or three days.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Yep, it's not ideal. That's why a sleep mode (hitting the power button once) is in the upcoming firmware upgrade. Although the device will auto-power down every 30 minutes of inactivity (you will have to boot it back up).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
monkeylytics

Leaving it on is something I am going to test. I guess I've been conditioned to suspend devices to stretch out the power for when I'm ready to pick it back it up again.

Just saw Sameer's note. That's great to hear. But any particular reason why the device will require a reboot after 30 minutes of inactivity? Given the long reboot time of 35 seconds (never mind the book load), why not extend the timeframe to say a few days or a week?

Granted this is a data point of one, but if I haven't touched my eReader in a few days or a week, my frame of mind of waiting for a reboot might be ok. Not ideal, but it might not bug me.

But if I haven't touched it in say a few hours, the reboot would bug me, particularly if my frame of reference consists of other ereader devices which don't exhibit this sort of reboot requirement and load up pretty fast hours (or days or even weeks) later.

Last edited by monkeylytics; 06-20-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Yep, it's not ideal. That's why a sleep mode (hitting the power button once) is in the upcoming firmware upgrade. Although the device will auto-power down every 30 minutes of inactivity (you will have to boot it back up).
Is that actually a smart move, having the device auto power down? A big plus with current ereaders is the ability to read, put it down and pick it up hours/days later and keep reading without drain on the battery. If after 30 min people are required to turn it on and wait 40 seconds + book loading time....kind of a downer!!

Secondly, is there any actual reason why the Kobo needs to power down at all?? The screen wont use power and the reader should be in an idle state drawing next to no power at all. Does the Kobo run background tasks, such as book indexing etc?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Secondly, is there any actual reason why the Kobo needs to power down at all?? The screen wont use power and the reader should be in an idle state drawing next to no power at all. Does the Kobo run background tasks, such as book indexing etc?
In his recent announcement about the firmware update MichaelT said:

Quote:
The bug: in some states, power consumption wasn't tapering off as much as it should have when the device went into sleep mode. We found the bug and fixed it
But from what we are being told, it sounds as if the "fix" simply entails turning the Kobo off after 30 minutes. I have already taken to powering down my Kobo between reading sessions to conserve battery life, but I was hoping after the firmware update that this would no longer be necessary.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo