Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unhappy t3 - dead need help with warranty claim

my 6 week old T3 has failed, about 2/3rd of the screen is a corrupt mess & nothing will clear it. I can see from the visible bit at the bottom that page turns, home, etc are working but it is unusable. I reckon the e-ink screen has failed
Have prodded with pin, tried charging etc, plugged into PC ( can see folders & files OK) , but I can't see any way to fix the screen.

it was fine last light - opened the flap this morning & i see just this horrid mess.

So checking sony site - how much hassle am I now in for re an - in-warranty repair or replacement. I have sent an email, the UK phone lines are shut until Monday 7 are then premium rates only

there is no claim/return form as such that I can find.

luckily I still have calibre & my T2 so I can at least read while I wait...

so any tips on dealing with sony will be gratefully received. I purchased direct from their web site & I have the PDF invoice. I just belatedly went through a product registration scree also, it asked for a serial number but I don't see one on the device- I typed "none visible" in the ser no field & form was accepted. do these things have serial numbers ??? I should have the box in the attic if it is on the box...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can you post a good clear photo of the screen? A lot of the time, part of the screen corrupt is a broken glass substrate. It doesn't always have to have been dropped or heavily impacted; a twisting or bending force can do it, and it may not show up till the next time you turn it on/wake it up.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can you post a good clear photo of the screen? A lot of the time, part of the screen corrupt is a broken glass substrate. It doesn't always have to have been dropped or heavily impacted; a twisting or bending force can do it, and it may not show up till the next time you turn it on/wake it up.
it could well be that - anyway I poked & prodded the sony site some more & found a register for repair form. I also found a serial number under the back cover of the T3 so I have filled in all of that form & am waiting for them to contact me with instructions.

So hopefully it will be relatively painless & will be fixed for free.

the screen - at the top is still show the reader is in sleep mode message bar, then a chunk of a previous book cover - that then degenerates into random noise until you reach the bottom 1/4 of the screen which is working normally.
the whole image reminds me of a crashed video driver/frozen screen

when you press power button it refreshes the "good" bit of the screen only
so I can get to see bookshelves, reader store, applications icons OK but nothing higher up
so I am back to reading on my T2, This is the 1st Sony I've had that has failed.- my 650s worked until sold & the 350 is still with us, still working.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the screen - at the top is still show the reader is in sleep mode message bar, then a chunk of a previous book cover - that then degenerates into random noise until you reach the bottom 1/4 of the screen which is working normally.
the whole image reminds me of a crashed video driver/frozen screen
That definitely sounds like a broken substrate (throw up a picture if you want confirmation). Not sure how lenient Sony is, but that won't technically be covered by warranty so if you can get them to do anything be happy.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That definitely sounds like a broken substrate (throw up a picture if you want confirmation). Not sure how lenient Sony is, but that won't technically be covered by warranty so if you can get them to do anything be happy.
I shall be v annoyed it its not covered, because I have not dropped or mistreated the reader in any way. it never actually leaves this one room!

the guarantee T&C does say that you are not covered for dropping the device, but I've not dropped it. I laid it down last night before going to sleep & it was faulty this morning

I don't actually see how they can detect whether a screen failure is caused by abuse or simple component failure ?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
can a substrate become "loose" from whatever charges the e-ink particles, as opposed to broken?
If it were out of guarantee I'd be inclined to try to open it & check for anything loose, though I suspect these things are not easy to open. As it is, I plan to send it back, if allowed, & see what happens.

is this a common fault or am I just unlucky this time around ?

PS I googled "broken substrate" & the pictures I am finding confirm the diagnosis, so no real need to post a picture of mine

Last edited by cybmole; 02-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
broken screen = no warrenty
Amazon would give you a discount on a new ereader, Sony won't.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
broken screen = no warrenty
Amazon would give you a discount on a new ereader, Sony won't.
well we ill see - I find old threads on here saying that Sony have replaced a broken screen - no quibble.
IF not then I shall ask mastercard for a faulty goods refund

Surely the basic sale of goods act etc law is on my side. if a retailer sells a new item it should work for a year, and they should take responsibility if it does not.

I accept that IF I'd dropped it, than I should accept some liabiity but I DID NOT DROP IT
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Surely the basic sale of goods act etc law is on my side. if a retailer sells a new item it should work for a year, and they should take responsibility if it does not.

I accept that IF I'd dropped it, than I should accept some liabiity but I DID NOT DROP IT
As I said above: It doesn't always have to have been dropped or heavily impacted; a twisting or bending force can do it, and it may not show up till the next time you turn it on/wake it up.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

so where do YOU draw the line between mishandling and poor manufacturing. you are surely not saying that if an e-ink screen fails for ANY reason then it is NEVER the manufacturer's fault.

if I buy a Sony TV and a whole line of stuck pixels appears within 12 months that's a guarantee claim , so a " sorry you must have knocked it" ?

And finally, if they can produce the entire device for £99, then the cost of just a new screen must be far less than that ?

I am still within 90 days of original purchase so I reckon a mastercard chargeback by my card issuer because retailer refuses to refund or repair faulty item will succeed, if needs be.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Most broken screens have resulted in Sony quoting a repair cost that is not economical compared to buying a new reader. There have been others who said they left it on their night stand and woke up with it broken. It's hard to say what may have been done earlier. Sony has had other issues with screens which they have honored such as parallel lines across the screen due to broken controllers. Depends on what the issue is. Best of luck on your claim.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
With broken screens, its usually pretty obvious that there is a point of impact where the crack has originated from. Whether its been dropped or where pressure has been placed on the screen (for example a hard object leaning against the screen while in a bag). A cracked screen isn't usually a result of a manufacturing defect, and that is why its not usual for the item to be replaced under warranty.

You might get lucky, but as has already been posted, the best result you normally get is with Amazon offering you are replacement for a reduced price (which not everyone is happy with either) but its better than what you might get with Sony or Kobo, which is, tough luck, it's been damaged in some way, so you have to pay for a repair or new model.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It doesn't sound like a broken substrate. It sounds more like a defective screen controller because parts of the screen continue to work normally. Can you post images?

If it is a defective screen controller, Sony has a record of honoring warranty.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It doesn't sound like a broken substrate. It sounds more like a defective screen controller because parts of the screen continue to work normally. Can you post images?

If it is a defective screen controller, Sony has a record of honoring warranty.
i have already shipped it to Sony & I don't own a camera. but yes the bottom portion of the screen continued to work normally.
so broken substrate implies the entire screen stops working ?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
so broken substrate implies the entire screen stops working ?
Quite often, but not always, so part of the screen still working doesn't necessarily mean it's not the substrate. An angled line somewhere on the screen is usually the best diagnostic (if all the lines are horizontal or perpendicular it could be a control issue, but if there is even a small spot with an angled line that's substrate).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote