Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Samuel
Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Replacing an Iliad Screen, possible?

Hello everyone.

Yesterday, when I take out the Iliad of a shoulder bag, noticed that the screen was messed up. The glass is in perfect condition(not even a scratch), but it seems that somehow the eink sustrate has been broken.

I've seen that's not an uncommon problem, and the fix costs 275€, which is almost half of the price of the device. I wonder if someone has tried to replace the screen, or at least has taken apart the Iliad, and if the eink display can be bought by individuals.

The torx screws on the back seem easy to remove, but I don't know if openning the device is as easy as that.

I know it's risky, but I found the cost of the fix it's way too much, and it may be worth a try.

Thanks in advance.
Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Once again its the shoulderbag that is the iLiad killer. I don't think you can buy the screen yourself, and even if i don't think it would be much cheaper. iRex stated several times that the screen is with quite some distance the most expensive part of the reader.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
i presume you have the irex bag that comes with the iliad?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Samuel
Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
i presume you have the irex bag that comes with the iliad?
No, I don't own one since it's a v1 Iliad which was sold "naked", but it was a similar one.

As it seems, there are little chances of avoiding sending it to the repair center... I almost cried when I saw the screen. I have owned it for only two months! And it had become my most loved gadget(well, the last you buy always is...)
Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I am so sorry for you. I had the same experience.

Cant this be said in a sticky threat?: New iLiad Users pay attention to your screen. It breaks easily and will cost you a fortune.

As a protection: look here

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
I've seen that's not an uncommon problem, and the fix costs 275€, which is almost half of the price of the device. I wonder if someone has tried to replace the screen, or at least has taken apart the Iliad, and if the eink display can be bought by individuals.
Even if you could, it's going to still cost you about the same amount. The screen is the most expensive component, and that 275€ repair is pretty close to the cost of the screen.

I remember a thread a long time ago where somebody did actually contact the manufacturer and inquire about the cost for a screen. I don't remember the actual numbers, but I do remember that you weren't really going to save much money compared to having iRex repair it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote