Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't get on with someone, don't give them anything. My sister and I reached a mutual agreement along those lines long ago . We exchange cards, but that's it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
You could give her a book store giftcard and a booklight. Nothing screams love like a giftcard!!!
And here's me just asked my brother (who I like and get on well with in light of what HarryT just posted ) to give me an Amazon gift card instead of looking for a gift!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
And here's me just asked my brother (who I like and get on well with in light of what HarryT just posted ) to give me an Amazon gift card instead of looking for a gift!
Well yes, but you do get a specific gift (as in unspecified book that YOU like). Harry, I believe, meant me and the situation with my MIL.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think if I have to give up reading due to eye sight problems I would probably swallow the business end of a shot gun.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I had to give up reading for about 6 weeks, due to a closed head injury. By the time I'd decoded one word, I'd forget what the previous word had been. I've always been a heavy reader, and this was a major blow to my self-image - *seriously* upsetting.

What I did was get into audio books in a big way. Not exactly a substitute, but it worked. (then I started reading along with listening to the books, and slowly things resolved themselves. I've never regained my previous speed or retention, but I can follow along a goodly sized novel now, so it's all good.)

now I mostly just listen to books in the car or before going to sleep (bless whoever invented sleep timers on my iPod), but I'm still hooked on audio books as well as e- and paper books.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #36
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It's different if you request it, or,of course, if you are someone who has everything and hard to shop for I am getting Google store giftcards for my BIL, because he has everything - he wants something, he buys it.

I was just thinking that since the MIL is a bit uncooperative, she may refuse to use the giftcard, so they can take it back in a few months
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
No suggestions here, but I am sorry it turned out this way after all your efforts. It may be the kind of situation where you read the signs, and go with the flow.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #38
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I was just thinking that since the MIL is a bit uncooperative, she may refuse to use the giftcard, so they can take it back in a few months
Do Amazon take back unused gift cards? That's not good!
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #39
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
No don't think so, but it is still a gift card ready to apply to own account ...
Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Personally I've never met anyone who want to get rid of Amazon or Walmart gift card because they sell almost everything there's something for everyone. It's a pretty safe gift.

I love gift cards, just don't designate what they are for.

One year my MIL sent me a $100 Walmart Gift card and told me to go buy a sewing machine that was on sale. I call it the most expensive paperweight I've ever own. To this day it's up the storage room collecting dust. I'm just not a Susie homemaker type of gal. I like to cook but that's it. After the sewing machine I got a crochet and embroidery supplies for Christmas. It's the thought that counts right? Not that I didn't try to learn for her sake but I don't have the coordination needed for that type of craft. It took me 21 years to learn to tie a bow correctly. Now I can put a PC together with no problems or fix Somebody Else's if needed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #41
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Personally I've never met anyone who want to get rid of Amazon or Walmart gift card because they sell almost everything there's something for everyone. It's a pretty safe gift.

I love gift cards, just don't designate what they are for.

One year my MIL sent me a $100 Walmart Gift card and told me to go buy a sewing machine that was on sale. I call it the most expensive paperweight I've ever own. To this day it's up the storage room collecting dust.
You could have bought it, nobody said you had to keep longer than 90 days - show her you bought it and then on day 89 exchange the paperweight for store credit.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You could have bought it, nobody said you had to keep longer than 90 days - show her you bought it and then on day 89 exchange the paperweight for store credit.
The problem with that is she looked for it when she came to visit 5 months later. The other problem with that hubby wouldn't let me do something like that. He's very big to keeping to people's wishes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
No, silly, I meant they can take the gift card back from their mother/MIL and use it for themselves
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Q: Is a K4NTB right for older person?

I am trying to find an e-reader for my mother-in-law. She is in her low 70's, retired, and used to read a lot (and I mean a lot). A few years back her eyes got bad enough as to make reading her (mostly) paperbacks very complicated. She stopped reading, and now my wife and me are trying to get her to read again - mainly for something to do and for improving her disappearing memory. My theory about it is: Don't use it, you lose it. (brain, memory, thinking, ...)

I showed her the KT, and she can comfortably read it even without her glasses at 4th or 5th smallest font-size. She likes the idea of beeing able to read again. Not so sure about a touch screen though - the most advanced technology in her house is a cd-radio and the remote of her tv. She got no idea what to do with a computer, tablet, smart phone, internet. Is a K4 intuive enough to figure out how to look for a book, open it and read it if we were to show her what buttons to press? The books she likes we would need to preload for her and put in some kind of collections. The Kindle would just be standalone, no wifi no computer to charge it.

What are your thoughts - is that a feasible challenge, or am I better off not trying to bring her into this century? Anybody has experience with seniors like mom, that read on ereader, but are otherwise oblivious of electronic gadgets / computers? Does the K4 have a similar range of fonts and sizes as the KT?
Forget the touch interface for seniors (think early Parkinsons or Coffee nerves ).
The NT is better for less steady hands.

I finally got Mrs Duck to use (a reader) the NT (fits your age profile)

Get ANY 1Amp+ USB Wall charger adapter (you don't need the white one )
Without having the Internet (WiFi), you will need to preload and stop by with a Laptop (with a bigger Library OR Sender her to the local WiFi hot spot.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Forget the touch interface for seniors (think early Parkinsons or Coffee nerves ).
The NT is better for less steady hands.

I finally got Mrs Duck to use (a reader) the NT (fits your age profile)

Get ANY 1Amp+ USB Wall charger adapter (you don't need the white one )
Without having the Internet (WiFi), you will need to preload and stop by with a Laptop (with a bigger Library OR Sender her to the local WiFi hot spot.
Well thank you very much. I will keep that in mind once we are on good terms again. Looks like it might be a while though.