Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #61
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
Just got the Frieq Bubble Case. I ordered it Thurs night and got it today (Sat). It's a nice chance of pace from Kobo's snail pace.

-The case has more padding than I expected.
-The Aura HD fits with room to spare.
-I love the pink. It's not too much that I feel girly, and the shade of it reminds me of candy.
-It'll work awesome as a stand while I'm reading at night.
I agree -- it's a great case (got it in blue) and knew you would like it.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #62
DannyY
DannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
WARNING

DON'T buy a case on ebay described as "Extra Strong Purple Case For KOBO Aura HD eReader w/ Inner Storage & Hold Strap" (other colours too). It has "Dura Gadget" stamped on the front.

This does not fit the Aura HD, it is too narrow and too tall. It fits a generic 7" tablet and has just been advertised as fitting the Aura HD because of the lack of alternative cases.

I received mine today and am in negotiation for a refund.
DannyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #63
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
FRIEQ/Aura pics

This is a pic where the Aura is pushed all the way into the FRIEQ case:

[Image exceeds guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Here you can see the Aura propped up with the tabs in the case. The Aura is kinda chunky at the top, and isn't really secure.

Here you can see how the top tab lays almost flat across the top, instead of hooking over like the botton tab does. I've fiddled with it, and it's about as good as it is going to get. It's secure enough right now, but I think with use the upper tab will no longer hold the unit at all. Not a big deal, as the most important thing for me about the case was protecting the screen.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-22-2014 at 12:19 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #64
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I think the tabs will function well over time. I have also been testing it with a (heavier) Nexus 7 and it seems plenty secure with repeated use. I use it for reading on hard surfaces but it seems to be stable enough for reading in bed.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Actually, I think the tabs will function well over time.
You may be right. I just looked at the pic on the Amazon product page, and I see that the top tab is in exactly the same position as it is in my pic. From Amazon:

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #66
Skydog
Wizard

Time will tell but I find it to be much better than similar cases I've tried.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnow View Post
I have not seen the new sleepcover for the Aura hands on, but I probably will not buy one and save the 50 dollars plus tax. I think with the extra width of the unit and the shaped back I just prefer to hold it without a cover. I found that the neoprene case that came with my Blackberry Playbook fits perfectly. I never used it for the Playbook so it is brand new. Sliding it in sideways does not pull on the power switch either, but the only drawback is the blackberry logo on the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnow View Post
Thanks. I just picked this one up at Staples for 6.97 on clearout which I like better. I looked online and found some for 6.99 on Amazon. I think the original retail was something ridiculous like 49.95.
I ordered this one (the zip-up), and it turned out to be bigger than I was hoping for. Comparing the specs on the devices I was expecting a snug fit width-wise and a bit extra length. But it's bigger both ways than I'd hoped.

It's fine for tossing in a bag, but I'm having a hard time jamming it in my jacket pocket, which is what I need. Can't really complain for the price, but just FYI. Unfortunately I'd passed on one I found in a store that was a really snug fit, because it cost more and was even a bit too tight. Now I'm thinking that might have worked better.
Pierre Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #68
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Case Logic Universal 6-7" eReader Folio

I received my Case Logic Universal 6-7" eReader Folio and thought I would pass along some early observations. I'm using it for my Kobo Aura HD. YMMV.

1. It's a snug fit! The top of the Aura comes to the very top of the case. As a result the 2 adjustable corner loops have to be pulled all the way up to attach the reader, which could be cumbersome if you have big hands/fingers. The Kobo takes up all the width of the case as well. The pull loops do not cover the power/sleep button! However, the left side stabilizing clamp that holds the bottom of the reader does cover the micro USB input connection (but not the micro SD card slot). Therefore you won't be able to connect via USB with the case attached. Finally, the case closes nicely with the elastic band.

2. It's not a sleep cover case, and it's not advertised as such.

3. The inside of the case (right side) has a "grippy", almost non-skid type surface. However, and some folks will no doubt not like this, the design of the case does add bulk to the overall package. Doesn't bother me.

4. The kick-stand seems very stable as long as the surface you have it resting on is also stable. This is a great feature I see myself enjoying.

Even though it's bulkier than the Kobo Sleep Cover, I do like the Case Logic folio slightly better due to the build quality and additional features included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case-Logic 006.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	105897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case-Logic 005.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	105898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case-Logic 004.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	105899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case-Logic 003.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	105900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case-Logic2 001.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	105901  

Last edited by 93terp; 05-14-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add pictures
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #69
johnsnow
Fanboy
johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Sorry it didn't work out for you Pierre. The zip up case is definitely a bit roomier than the sleeve but to tell the truth I never even noticed it until I read your post. I would say the fit is similar to the picture of the pink frieq case posted earlier. I find it snug enough for my needs with a bit of room top to bottom.

I do however wish Kobo would release a sleepcover for the Aura similar to the Glo case which is my all time favorite.
johnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #70
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Wow, the Aura Sleepcover is sold out at Chapters and Kobo!

Now I have really have to rely on a alternative case.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #71
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I'm using the Frieq Bubble case as a stand for when I'm reading in bed which is perfect. I wouldn't trust it on a table where it is likely to be bumped because the stand isn't very sturdy and it could easily slip out of that top tab like what pidgeon said.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #72
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Here's a skin and screen protector for the Aura. I wonder whether the latter is glossy or matte:

http://www.skinomi.com/sk12524-kobo-...protector.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Wow, the Aura Sleepcover is sold out at Chapters and Kobo!
Yes, and it happened while I was waiting for a Kobo rep to confirm whether or not Espresso cases would be available ever again. Perhaps I shouldn't have waited.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-15-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #73
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
A skin and a case are not equivalent in terms of protection. The skin protector gives no protection to the screen and only scratch protection to the rest of the device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #74
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Does anybody know if the Aura will fit in these Griffin Cases?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/k...-fire-ereaders

The concern is the width of the case measures 12.3 cm (4.8"), while the Kobo Aura measures 128.3 cm (5.05") so it would a tight fit.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #75
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
A skin and a case are not equivalent in terms of protection. The skin protector gives no protection to the screen and only scratch protection to the rest of the device.
Yes, I'm aware of that, and when I started this thread, I actually thought about starting a second one for skins and screen protectors. But that seemed excessive to me when neither was available back then and the Aura seemed unlikely to be supported by the usual suspects (Zagg, Decal Girl, etc.).

However, many of the alternative cases we're using don't offer the same level of protection as the official SleepCovers. An example of this is the M-Edge leather sleeve which I've been using.

For some of us, tracking possible skins and screen protectors is necessary to balance the drawbacks of the case selection we've been offered.

Since I'm using a sleeve, I'd definitely benefit from a skin and SP -- if I knew that both were good quality and fit well, and that the company which made them was reliable.

Currently, I don't know any of those things -- the product information doesn't even make it clear that the protectors are or are not anti-glare.

I can't be the only Aura owner who owns an alternative case and is interested in knowing about skins and SPs.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-16-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote