Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #31
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely if you don't want a light, it doesn't really make sense to buy a device that has one, does it?
I bought the Paperwhite thinking I would like the light, but found I did not. Between shadows, washed out fonts when the light is turned up, I prefer the light completely off. If I were buying a new Kindle--most definitely without the light.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #32
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The main reason people give for not wanting a frontlit reader is that the light diffuser somewhat lowers the screen contrast, by interposing an additional layer between the text and the reader. That's a valid argument, to be sure.

However, by buying a reader with a frontlight and then turning the light off, you're in the worst of both worlds - you still have the light diffuser reducing the contrast, but you no longer have the light to improve it again. It just seems crazy to me . Either buy a device without a light diffuser, or buy an illuminated reader and use the light for what it's there for!
To me the Paperwhite fonts are both darker and crisper sans the light. Yes, the diffuser is still there, but there is a big difference when it is lit up vs not in use. You would see the difference and understand what I'm saying if you saw a Paperwhite with the light off. I think those with perfect vision might not really care, but my vision is not what it was 20 years ago, and even small difference in print/e-ink quality matter to me.
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@conan50: To be fair, the PW1 was terrible, so I understand you qualms. That said, the PW2 is much, much, much better; and I assume the PW3 continues that trend .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Hmm...
PW-1 and PW-3 side-by-side, as seen by three-score and ten eyes - -

The PW-1 'Kindle' is silver, the PW-3 'Kindle' is black.

Front light off, screen off - both devices -
The PW-1 appears to be a bit more brown than the PW-3.
sort of like sun-aged paper vs. new paper.

Same book page, same font (well, same stock font selection anyway) -
try to match backgrounds by adjusting front light -
doesn't happen -
the PW-3 background is always lighter in color.
Blacks look the same on both.

- - - -

Keep in mind that the PW-3 has the same 300dpi screen as the Voyage.
With a font that takes full advantage of that dpi difference, they could look much different from each other than they do.

Last edited by knc1; 10-16-2015 at 01:51 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The frontlight is noticable. Even in the lowest setting. I think it's nerve ranking.

After the jailbreak I will fix it for my Paperwhite 3, too.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #36
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
To me the Paperwhite fonts are both darker and crisper sans the light. Yes, the diffuser is still there, but there is a big difference when it is lit up vs not in use. You would see the difference and understand what I'm saying if you saw a Paperwhite with the light off. I think those with perfect vision might not really care, but my vision is not what it was 20 years ago, and even small difference in print/e-ink quality matter to me.
Install a bold font. I prefer bold caecilia. There is even a heavy caecilia which is serious. As it stands, you have to recompile the books with font embedded. However a new jailbreak is coming and you will have more flexibility with custom fonts with that (use Koreader?). But turn off wifi now, before Amazon patch it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #37
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@conan50: To be fair, the PW1 was terrible, so I understand you qualms. That said, the PW2 is much, much, much better; and I assume the PW3 continues that trend .
I'm glad to hear the PW2 is better. It is possible I would be happy with a Voyage, but it is a bit pricey for me. That light layer between my eyes and the fonts has always bothered me on the PW1.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #38
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Install a bold font. I prefer bold caecilia. There is even a heavy caecilia which is serious. As it stands, you have to recompile the books with font embedded. However a new jailbreak is coming and you will have more flexibility with custom fonts with that (use Koreader?). But turn off wifi now, before Amazon patch it.
I might be happier with it if it had more font choices and size choices. The last largest font is too huge, and the second to last font a bit small for my eyes.
I like to use Overdrive and get books sent to my Kindle. If this was jailbroken, the wifi would have to stay off?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #39
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
I might be happier with it if it had more font choices and size choices. The last largest font is too huge, and the second to last font a bit small for my eyes.
I like to use Overdrive and get books sent to my Kindle. If this was jailbroken, the wifi would have to stay off?
No, the suggestion of turning your WiFi off is to ensure that Amazon can't update your Kindle BEFORE you jailbreak it. If you haven't already done so, check that your firmware is at the 5.6.5 level. If it isn't, upgrade it immediately and THEN turn off WiFi until AFTER you jailbreak it.

This will not be a problem even with Overdrive, as you can always download the book to your PC and transfer it to the Kindle via USB.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Skip down about 5 titles in the index to the 'non-jailbreak' font hack.
You can set the font scaling by a file in USB storage:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93&postcount=3
Old 10-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #41
conan50
Fanatic

Thanks guys!
Edit/Update: Resetting my font sizes with that hack actually gave me enough control to set a proper size font for my eyes so I can use the on board light again. Gotta love Mobileread Forum

Last edited by conan50; 10-16-2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #42
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did someone find the exact (device) file on the Linux root fs which controls the *front*light?

Last edited by joblack; 02-12-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Did someone find the exact (device) file on the Linux root fs which controls the *front*light?
Easiest way is to install the KUAL extension here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #44
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Easiest way is to install the KUAL extension here.
Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Paperwhite 3.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Paperwhite 3.
No fair.
You introduced a fact not in evidence with the original question (that you want it for a PW-3 when your info box lists more than one model).