Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Sorry. My fault. After opening the command prompt (black screen) type first: cd "My Documents" (with the quotes)
Then type this line: mobidedrm04.py name-of-ebook your-PID
AARRGGHHH!!!

This is what I get when I type cd "My Documents":

Parameter format not correct - "My

And back to the prompt.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
AARRGGHHH!!!

This is what I get when I type cd "My Documents":

Parameter format not correct - "My

And back to the prompt.
Let's got through this step by step by step.

1. Copy both the mobidedrm04.py and the ebook to your "My Document" folder.

2. Go into start->run-> type: cmd and press enter.

3. Inside the command prompt type: dir

4. Do you see the words "my documents" anywhere? if so, continue.

5. Type: cd my

6. Press the TAB key. See the sentence complete itself to cd "my documents" Then press enter. You should now be inside your my document folder.

7. Type: dir

8. Do you now see your mobidedrm04.py and your ebook? If so, continue.

9. Type: mobidedrm04.py name-of-ebook your-PID

Hope that works.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question. The Python program I downloaded came with something called PythonWin Editor. What is that--and would using it make this any easier???
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Question. The Python program I downloaded came with something called PythonWin Editor. What is that--and would using it make this any easier???
Nope. I think that's for editing the source code not for running the completed script
Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Wallflower75: I suspect your problem is that you need to work your way through a tutorial on using a command shell to boss your computer around. (Hint: read the first intro which explains the difference between a graphical user interface and a command shell like the DOS command prompt, then skim ahead to section 20 -- reading stuff that's unfamiliar -- which is where the introduction to using the command line begins.

MobiDeDrm is a command line tool; you need to know where it is, how to invoke it by pathname (and if necessary by telling Python to run it), and how to tell it the name of a file to convert (and where it is). You're not going to get anywhere with it unless you acquire the basics of using a command line (be it the Windows command.exe one, or the Linux shell).
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:

6. Press the TAB key. See the sentence complete itself to cd "my documents" Then press enter. You should now be inside your my document folder.

Hope that works.
I was doing great until the end. Everything came up the way you had it (I was typing "command" instead of "cmd" to start, which was a big part of the problem). But when I typed step 9 in (I have mobidedrm02.py, not mobidedrm04.py--wasn't sure where the latter could be found), all I got was a repeat of the MobiDeDrm prompt, as if I hadn't typed anything at all.

I can see the other side, I really can...I'm just not there yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If all you have is MobiDeDRM.py 0.02, then you will find that this version will not work on all Mobipocket eBooks to remove the DRM. There is a bug in the code. There is code posted someplace on MR to fix that and convert it to 0.04. But you'll have to search for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #23
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
But when I typed step 9 in (I have mobidedrm02.py, not mobidedrm04.py--wasn't sure where the latter could be found), all I got was a repeat of the MobiDeDrm prompt, as if I hadn't typed anything at all.

I can see the other side, I really can...I'm just not there yet.
Try running step 9 as: python mobidedrm02.py name-of-ebook your-PID
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Hope that works.
Wallflower, these instructions above may lead you into trouble if you name the folder "My Documents" because you are essentially using DOS commands here and DOS will not recognize the "blank" in that name. Better to use a simple & short name like "MyDocs".

Also when the command tool window opens if you see something more than "C:>", you are starting in a sub-folder and need to go back to the root folder before using the "cd" command to reach your desired folder.

A basic knowledge of DOS is very useful here.
  1. If you are not in the root folder you can type "cd \" to get there {Note that is a back slash "\" not a forward slash "/".
  2. At that point you can type "cd mydocs" to get to the "mydocs" folder. (Note: these names are not case sensitive so "MyDocs" is the same as "mydocs".
  3. Step two depends on the "MyDocs" folder being at the root level and not further down, i.e. "mydocs" can not be a subfloder in say "MyStuff". Also none of these names can have blanks in them.

An yes I know that Dos commands require "exact" syntax. You can not make any errors in the typing and get the correct results.

Hope this helps and isn't talking down to anyone.

Oh, and when you get done with the "command tool" window, it prefers that you type in "exit" instead of closint the window as you normally would.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Try running step 9 as: python mobidedrm02.py name-of-ebook your-PID

Actually, that is the wrong command line.. you need to type:

mobidedrm02.py name-of-ebook.prc name=of-ebook_free.prc your-PID

You need to specify the output file name as the second parameter. As, if you installed python from python.org then you don't need to type the word python, however typeing it will not hurt anything.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #26
wallflower75
Groupie

I got it!!! There were two things I was doing wrong: I didn't know to include the output file name and I didn't realize that the file name (which was a long string of numbers and letters) included two underscores instead of just one. Once I corrected those two things, the program worked just fine!

Thanks for all your help--and thanks for not losing patience with me! I owe you guys one!

And now that I've converted my Mobipocket book into an lrf file, I'll be off to do a little of this ====>
Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
Ireadfreely
Ireadfreely began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
I got the dark reverser txt etc.

However, it says my PID is wrong.

Error: no key found. Maybe the PID is incorrect

Last edited by Ireadfreely; 10-27-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Ireadfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #28
Skyblue
Skyblue doesn't litterSkyblue doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
If you are unsure of your pin, go to the place where you downloaded it, and it should be on that site. For example Fictionwise, just check out your bookshelf, and the pin is under the Secure Mobipocket ID. Otherwise you should be able to find it in Mobipocket Reader. Hope this helps.
Skyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This sounds like you have an unserialised eBook. Some eBook stores let you download a book without any embedded PID. You have to open it in Mobipocket Reader, which will connect to Mobipocket and generate a new version of the eBook with the PID for your copy of Mobipocket Reader embedded in it.

So - open the book on Mobipocket Reader. Now find the new copy that has been created, presumably in some folder in the "My Documents" folder.

Now try with that eBook instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireadfreely View Post
I got the dark reverser txt etc.

However, it says my PID is wrong.

Error: no key found. Maybe the PID is incorrect
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #30
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The easiest way to use mobidedrm is to automate it with a couple of batch (command) files -- once you do this, you no longer have to use the command line to run the program at all (plus it will do all the files in a directory at once, moving them to a "WithDRM" and "NoDRM" directories (or the names of your choice) as it works. Not only is it easier to use for a power user, it's useable by anyone that can save a file to a specific location on their desktop and click a mouse (those two skills will probably be a minimum requirement that can't be worked around). I can post the batch files and setup, if anyone is interested (and there is some permanent place it will be easily found by those looking for it).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote