Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
gorman
gorman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3g
Unhappy K3 frozen, looking for advice

I have a Kindle Keyboard 3g (D00901) that is frozen on the update screen (person sitting under tree with a load bar under that). The situation first occurred when I hadn't used the device for some time, and booted it after a full charge. It booted then flicked to the update screen and has remained there ever since. Skip forward about a year, and we are in the present.

The battery didn't appear to be charging (remained on orange light after a very long charge cycle) so I swapped it out (for a known working battery), but still doesn't appear to be hitting full charge (still no green light).

The numerous reset instructions don't work (hold power switch for 0-60 seconds not plugged in/plugged into wall/plugged into computer). They produced no effect, screen remained exactly the same (did not flicker or reload or change), and the light remained in the same state as previously (did not flicker or change color).

I used the Kubrick Live CD to attempt to unbrick it (I was a bit doubtful because of the power LED), and although Kubrick happily unbricked it, the problem was not fixed. Firstly Kubrick was very fast, I'd heard that it should take a few hour to flash the K3. During the process the light remained orange only, and at the screen did not change. Upon attempting to reboot at the end of the process, there was no response.

Previously it is reporting as 'SE Blank ringo' when plugged into a computer which I believe is USB bootloader mode. After the Kubrick processes I get no response (other than the orange light turning on) when plugging it in to a computer.

I removed the backing to check that no ribbon cables had come out and that the battery was seated properly (not sure if it's even possible to put the battery in wrong, but can't hurt to check). I couldn't see anything lose or damaged.

So from this situation I assume there's some hardware fault. It could be screen, but that wouldn't explain the LED behaviour, so I'm inclined to say it's just straight up dead. Anything else I should do before calling it?

gorman is offline   Reply With Quote