Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Ahu Lee
Ahu Lee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub readers don't render CSS the way it is in Sigil?

I'm sorry I don't really think that my question has something to do with Sigil itself, but I'm not sure where I should post it and here it is:

I'm making an epub using Sigil and when I open it in ADE or Nook-for-PC to check how it looks I notice that the readers don't render CSS correctly, the way it is\looks in Sigil or my web-browser.
For example, the both use different sans-serif font (I have set Arial in the CSS), they also have some problems with Drop-Caps (they are kinda "off the grid"). And they don't render letter-spacing property at all.

I'm not very experienced with all this ebook creation stuff, so could you enlighten me on why this might happen or what I should and shouldn't expect from the readers? Would there be a difference in the way hardware readers handle my epub?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Ahu Lee; 01-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Ahu Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahu Lee View Post
I'm sorry I don't really think that my question has something to do with Sigil itself, but I'm not sure where I should post it and here it is:

I'm making an epub using Sigil and when I open it in ADE or Nook-for-PC to check how it looks I notice that the readers don't render CSS correctly, the way it is\looks in Sigil or my web-browser.
For example, the both use different sans-serif font (I have set Arial in the CSS), they also have some problems with Drop-Caps (they are kinda "off the grid"). And they don't render letter-spacing property at all.

I'm not very experienced with all this ebook creation stuff, so could you enlighten me on why this might happen or what I should and shouldn't expect from the readers? Would there be a difference in the way hardware readers handle my epub?

Thank you very much!
Different render engines, behave different. Some, like QT used with Sigil and Calibre have known quirks.

IMHO You did good. You checked things out on the Target device(s) Those are the ones that count

Wander down to the EPUB section here at Mobilread. There you will find a lot of experiences. Be sure to read the Stickies ( hint: the one on ADE is IMHO, a must)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might also check out an epub, Three Men in a Boat which is available in the MR library and has quite a bit of successful formatting. If you see something you like, you might open it in Sigil and see how it was done.

You did do good, by checking it on the device. That is a step some seem to miss.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Ahu Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Be sure to read the Stickies ( hint: the one on ADE is IMHO, a must)
Do you mean this one (Known bugs in ADE)? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94733

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You might also check out an epub, Three Men in a Boat which is available in the MR library and has quite a bit of successful formatting.
Can you provide me with the link to the book, please? I can't find it in epub format there.
But I have found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48377 and it doesn't look very readable to my taste, besides there's some bag with the first line of each chapter, it sort of runs out of the screen.

So, there's no way to make the CSS letter-spacing property actually work in "real" readers? My CSS is free of any errors according to the W3C validator, but ADE still don't want to render that property.

Many thanks, guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So, there's no way to make the CSS letter-spacing property actually work in "real" readers? My CSS is free of any errors according to the W3C validator, but ADE still don't want to render that property.
Not all valid CSS is valid for ePub (and not all "valid" ePub CSS works as expected in ADE). Don't get too hung up on it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What we are trying to say: Is Compromise so that it is Closeon the Majority of devices (Some will be High, some low. Allow for that).

Precision is not possible except with ONE target (device), and that is fragile .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Have a look at the spec. Please inform us if you find the "letter-spacing" property mentioned anywhere

That a property is not supported in the spec, doesn't mean a book containing it is not a valid ePub, but rather that a reader not supporting it can still be called an ePub-compliant reader.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Ahu Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Have a look at the spec. Please inform us if you find the "letter-spacing" property mentioned anywhere

That a property is not supported in the spec, doesn't mean a book containing it is not a valid ePub, but rather that a reader not supporting it can still be called an ePub-compliant reader.
Thank you very much, now it makes sense.

Thanks all.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It makes it hard that there is no easy reference to the limited CSS used in epubs that I have found.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Just wait 'til you start checking your epubs in different Android reader apps! Anyway, checking in ADE is probably the best first step, if it renders well there, it's got a good chance to render OK on Sony & Nook e-ink, and will do pretty well in Android apps that support ADE.

Checking on a device is also highly recommended, just this past weekend I had an epub that worked fine in ADE, and barfed on my Sony T1. Turned out I had managed to duplicate a couple of IDs on links. I was about to tear my hair out over that one before I tracked it down.

When you get into other reader apps, like Moon+, FBReader, Coolreader and the like, expect most of your hard won styling to be less appealing than you would wish. Those apps allow the reader to customize a lot of stuff. The key is that your ebook should remain readable, even if not as you envisioned it looking.

I'm sort of a control freak, but I've learned that you have to give a lot of that up with ebooks. There's no one reading system, people have lots of choices between devices and apps.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Ahu Lee

graycyn, thank you very much for your input, It's a great addition to the topic for sure!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wouldn't use drop-caps in an e-book. Last year we had them working beautifully in the Kindle, whereupon Amazon changed line spacing (13 lines per page instead of 15 as previously on my K3) and they looked awful. Plus they become up-caps in the older e-ink devices. So I have quit using them.

I also don't specify font-face. There is a reason for the defaults (they are the most legible choice), and in the case of newer devices (Kindles anyhow) the reader has the option to change the font and likely will be annoyed if you defeat him.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I also don't specify font-face. There is a reason for the defaults (they are the most legible choice), and in the case of newer devices (Kindles anyhow) the reader has the option to change the font and likely will be annoyed if you defeat him.
There an extremely good reason to embed a font in KF8. The reason being if you have modified the line spacing of the font to be small enough, it will override the large line spacing KF8 defaults to (eInk Kindles). I've such a font I am currently asking for people to test. Also, I've upped the weight so it looks good.

Have a look at the thread on fonts and Kindles. You will find my links there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202238
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's bad enough trying to work around bugs and limitations of ePub readers, now we have build our ePub books with an ePub editors for non-ePub readers?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What is MR Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You might also check out an epub, Three Men in a Boat which is available in the MR library and has quite a bit of successful formatting. If you see something you like, you might open it in Sigil and see how it was done.

You did do good, by checking it on the device. That is a step some seem to miss.
What and where can I find "Three men in a boat"?

Thanks
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote