Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Worried book industry gathers for convention

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-OSmQD98E10700
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Rick P.
Rick P. began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
It's an interesting article. With regard to printed books, I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I know that in the UK the current market is placing a huge amount of pressure on publishers. Supermarkets are now stocking printed books and forcing prices down, which leaves smaller margins and less money for the publishers to invest in new talented authors.

I believe ebooks will save the day for publishers. As reader's habits change ebooks might become the predominant market over the printed book market. This will take control away from the supermarkets (in the UK at least) and, across the world, it will save the publishers printing costs meaning that they have more money to invest in new 'up and coming' authors.

At the end of the day the book buying customers will decide the way things go. If people prefer ebooks then I believe that we can expect a revival in the mid-list authors and a greater variety of new authors. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Will ebooks become the predominant form of books?

Rick Parussel
The-Plot-Thickens fiction ebook retailer
Rick P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick P. View Post
It's an interesting article. With regard to printed books, I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I know that in the UK the current market is placing a huge amount of pressure on publishers. Supermarkets are now stocking printed books and forcing prices down, which leaves smaller margins and less money for the publishers to invest in new talented authors.
Yes, that's often what they say. It's more accurate when you leave out "talented" though.
Quote:
I believe ebooks will save the day for publishers. As reader's habits change ebooks might become the predominant market over the printed book market. This will take control away from the supermarkets (in the UK at least) and, across the world, it will save the publishers printing costs meaning that they have more money to invest in new 'up and coming' authors.
Meaning: it will lessen competition. I somehow doubt they'll be able to "lower" costs; or at least they will claim the costs aren't going down.
Anyway..:
Quote:
There won't be many major celebrities, but a good number of minor ones: Kathie Lee Gifford and Mary Jo Buttafucco, Oliver North and the Amazing Kreskin, Emeril Lagasse and "Sneaky Chef" Missy Chase Lapine.
Is this a joke? Otherwise the article says little that seems particularly interesting to me.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Anyone who wants to write a book now can, and put it up on a fan fiction site.
If they are good, there will be accolades of a sort, and they will develop fans.
No matter how small the niche. And fans of niche genres will find as much of what they enjoy to fill their time.

Competition is in no way going to lessen in the coming years.
Indeed, writing is going to fragment just as music has.

And all the publisher's horses,
And all the publisher's men...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote