Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
cloudycliff
cloudycliff began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
please help with k3g brick

I pressed 'I' in recovery mode and I think that's the reason of the brick

I followed the steps here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

but my k3g still won't startup and keep showing 'please wait a moment while your kindle starts up'

the power button + home button didn't work now and I don't know what to do..

help please
cloudycliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
cloudycliff

I use k3flasher to flash it again

here's some output (I replace SN&MAC)

# ./k3flasher-x86.bin mx35to2_mmc.bin info
I: found suitable device
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B006XXXXXXXXXX>
I: got device Wifi MAC <XXXXXXXXXX>

and I flashed kernel3.3.bin,rootfs3.3.bin,partitiontable-header-uboot.bin with k3flasher successfully

but my kindle still won't boot or into recovery mode

any suggestions?

thanks~
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Please remind me: What was "I" being described as? (I don't have my K3 here ATM.)
Otherwise it looks quite fixable, I think. Maybe one of the user partitions (/var config partition or /mnt/us partition) is in a state where the boot cannot proceed as usual?

If it's flashing and re-displaying the message, that at least should mean that the kernel is running, I think.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
cloudycliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Please remind me: What was "I" being described as? (I don't have my K3 here ATM.)
Otherwise it looks quite fixable, I think. Maybe one of the user partitions (/var config partition or /mnt/us partition) is in a state where the boot cannot proceed as usual?

If it's flashing and re-displaying the message, that at least should mean that the kernel is running, I think.
the I: under the # is the output of k3flasher, means INFO maybe..

the screen isn't flashing..it constantly displays the same screen..

and the charging light is yellow when USB is plugged in, pushing the power button for about 15sec the light is off, but after that nothing happens..home button or enter button doesn't work..

Last edited by cloudycliff; 10-12-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

Um... Erase MMC?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

:-) No, I meant what did the recovery menu present as description for the key "I" you said you pressed there. I'm quite known with what the output of k3flasher means, I wrote that tool :-)

When the screen is not flashing - odds are that the other parts might also be broken. Did you specify the corresponding offsets when you flashed the various images?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard

Twobob: Thanks, faster than my reply. OK. Well. If it really does what its name implies, then there are some additional parts that might now be wiped. On the other hand, it *did* display a valid serial number and probably a valid MAC address as well, so those did not get erased. Which leaves me puzzled about what "Erase MMC" really does...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
cloudycliff

Quote:
:-) No, I meant what did the recovery menu present as description for the key "I" you said you pressed there. I'm quite known with what the output of k3flasher means, I wrote that tool :-)

When the screen is not flashing - odds are that the other parts might also be broken. Did you specify the corresponding offsets when you flashed the various images?
sorry for that...

here's the options in recovery mode

I -> Initialize partitions
O -> Format Userstore
E -> Export over USB
U -> Update Kernel + Rootfs
Q -> Quit and Reboot

in fact I pressed everyone...

here's the command I use

./k3flasher-x86.bin mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel kernel3.3.bin
./k3flasher-x86.bin mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs rootfs3.3.bin
./k3flasher-x86.bin mx35to2_mmc.bin program 0x00000000 partitiontable-header-uboot.bin
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard

The programming at least looks fine. If you can get your hands on a working unit, it might be worthwhile to
- run a backup on your broken unit first (there's a backup script in the source archive of k3flasher, will need to be adapted for the filename of k3flasher if you use the pre-compiled executables) - at least the "devid" part, you might possibly omit the rest of it,
- run a backup on the working unit
- flash the latter backup parts to your working unit, except for the devid part which you should probably take from the backup of your broken unit

Background: There's at least some parts ("isis" waveform comes to my mind) that is not yet available on the net, AFAIK. Plus, maybe the kernel/rootfs images you've got are broken or corrupted on download or similar.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
cloudycliff

Quote:
The programming at least looks fine. If you can get your hands on a working unit, it might be worthwhile to
- run a backup on your broken unit first (there's a backup script in the source archive of k3flasher, will need to be adapted for the filename of k3flasher if you use the pre-compiled executables) - at least the "devid" part, you might possibly omit the rest of it,
- run a backup on the working unit
- flash the latter backup parts to your working unit, except for the devid part which you should probably take from the backup of your broken unit

Background: There's at least some parts ("isis" waveform comes to my mind) that is not yet available on the net, AFAIK. Plus, maybe the kernel/rootfs images you've got are broken or corrupted on download or similar.
I download the files from a Chinese forum with md5check, so I think the files are all right
I don't have a working unit now, will try when I get one, thanks for your help.

Last edited by cloudycliff; 10-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudycliff View Post
I download the files from a Chinese forum with md5check, so I think the files are all right
I don't have a working unit now, will try when I get one, thanks for your help.
Good luck
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
cloudycliff

alter flash 3.0.2 kernel and rootfs my kindle is back now

thanks for all the help and luck
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudycliff View Post
alter flash 3.0.2 kernel and rootfs my kindle is back now

thanks for all the help and luck
Great news!

I added your debricking success report to the list.

If you did not notice, the pastebin now contains URLs for a 3.4 kernel and rootfs with jailbreak and combined dev keys pre-installed. Using that instead of 3.0.2 saves you from needing to do all the firmware upgrades.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote