Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #61
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I could have sworn the part about the 350 wasn't there originally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It wasn't. I guess when eP speaks, Engadget listens! :-)

there were many folks who corrected them in the comments to the article as well.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #62
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hardware buttons (and disabling the touchscreen) are a must have features; think of all those hot tub and beach users who have their readers in waterproof baggies.

its IR touch so you dont actually have to touch the screen for most functions. probably even the long "press" is just breaking the beam path with your finger long enough.

however the plastic baggie users might have issues with the baggie it self breaking the beam paths
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #63
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I believe the point is that Kobo has separate bookstore offerings -- different languages -- in France, Germany, Italy, Spain (or, more to the point, started to open these this month with more to follow in June or July). I don't believe either Sony or Amazon are quite there yet (Amazon has the German Kindle store as I already noted).
Kobo in Spain? Not yet.. I'm quite sure Sony Spain, some books, yes.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #64
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm thinking seriously of ordering one for the missus. She has been cold to ebooks so far, but this might entice her.
But then Amazon and BN may have some stuff even sweeter later this year...
Ah well, her birthday is in November, so I can wait.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am already planning on getting a special someone this reader for their birthday, if it is released in time (mid-June).
But my birthday's not in June
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #66
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Everytime I get close to making a decision on type of e-reader to buy, another option appears! Now I have to consider this one too!

Funny, I'm not usually indecisive, but because there are so many good options in e-readers, I am paralyzed with indecision. Guess I better go read up about the Kobo now!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
Everytime I get close to making a decision on type of e-reader to buy, another option appears! Now I have to consider this one too!

Funny, I'm not usually indecisive, but because there are so many good options in e-readers, I am paralyzed with indecision. Guess I better go read up about the Kobo now!
And tomorrow, you'll have to read up on the new Nook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #68
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm not a fan of touchscreens, and I love my K3, but darn if that ain't a sweet little ereader! At a sweet price, too. I think we've got a contender here. Can't wait to see what B&N announces tomorrow, and what Amazon has up their sleeve.

I recall in the eInk "nothing new this year" thread, several people were hoping Pearl would come to more readers. Here ya go!

It's so tempting... wish I could get my hands on one and try it out. Wal-Mart is supposed to have them in-store when released, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be at my local Wal-Mart.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #69
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Someone above indicated that the dictionary in these things only works with Kobo-purchased books. That really true?? It would a deal-killer for me if true. Otherwise, this might make a very good present for someone. I already have a prs-950, so can't really justify another e-reader.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #70
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The $99 price point for the Kobo Wireless will put price pressure on B&N and Amazon. I was surprised when the Kindle with ads came out above $99, and this might push Amazon into a price cut. On the other hand, perhaps Amazon would loose money at $99 (the K3 is likely more expensive to make that the Kobo Wireless).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #71
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Very nice!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That does look really nice. Faster cpu, pearl, nice pdf support..good to see new challengers. It appears touchscreen only, which is a no-go for those who are mortified by the idea of fingerprints. I run for the microcloth whenever I accidentally touch the screen. Seems like it would have been easy, and wise, to include some subtle external page turn buttons in order to please both crowds.

Looking forward to seeing B&N's new e-ink model, if that's what it turns out to be.
I have a 650 and you don't need to run for the cloth every time you touch the touchscreen. It's actually quite nice the way it takes a while before you'll need to get the cloth. You actually see more fingerprints when the screen is off then when it's on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Looks nice.
PDF support looks very nice.
I do prefer hard buttons for page turns, though, both for fingerprints and for ergonomics.
I wonder a couple things: Is the dictionary more generally functional than in the old Kobo? Does it have wifi, and if so, is the wifi more generally functional (like for side loading) than on the old Kobo?
The ergonomics of the page swipe beats the buttons. And as for fingerprints, not to worry. You'll hardly see them.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
This is the first real competitor to the Sony 650. Plus with wi-fi!

I may pick one up as a back up.
But does it have a web browser? Without, the wifi isn't all that useful.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Looks pretty good. Now I hope that Kobo will allow indented paragraphs after the opening paragraph, and get rid of some of the vertical space between paragraphs
I'm pretty sure that's not a Kobo issue but an issue with the way the ePub is formatted.