Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
pattherat82
pattherat82 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can an international kindle be registered to a US acc if it has been shipped to AUS

Hiya

I cant seem to find the answer to this anywhere.
I have managed to somehow fly under the radar and have a US Amazon account while living in Australia and using an Aussie credit card (I originally used my amex but have changed it to my visa and have not been busted for well over 6 months) and have been happily reading ebooks using my iphone and laptop for over a year now. Touch wood.

I really want a kindle (so cheap now!) and dont want to have to be limited to
only reading books i have purchased using my Aussie Amazon account because I have spent a fortune on US ebooks.

So I realise I should just be happy that I have been getting away with it for this long but is it possible to buy an international kindle with my Aus Amazon account, have it sent to Aus and then deregister it and then register it to my US Amazon account??
Are international kindles even able to be used with US accounts?
Or will I have to buy a US one and have it shipped to one of those services and then to me?
I am quite happy to never use the 3g whispernet thing and just use my laptop to transfer purchases.

Has anyone done this sucessfully?
Or am I just pushing my luck?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer and happy reading!!
pattherat82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem. You're just an American living abroad in the eyes of Amazon - right?

When you buy it from you AUS Amazon account is there the option to buy it as a gift and not initially registered to any account?

Quote:
Are international kindles even able to be used with US accounts?
There hasn't been a distinction between US/International Kindles for quite some time now. All new Kindles sold are International Kindles.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
pattherat82

Hmmm

I think amazon thinks I am a US customer living in the US as I have a made up US address on my account (i never buy physical books from amazon).

I am just worried that when I type in the serial number of an international kindle I buy to my US account to register it that amazon will figure out because of the particular kindle that I am not really in the US.
There is a new WIFI only kindle for sale now doesnt have whispernet and I thought that might be the way to go.

Are there any Aussies out there with any experience doing this?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Yup. I have done this with 2 kindles now.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
pattherat82

really? Awesome!
So you have bought and shipped a kindle with an AUS account to a AUS address and then just registered it to your US account? No dramas?

I think I may have to order one then!
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

when u use the wifi on kindle in aus your ip address reflect that you are frm aus
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
pattherat82

what if i never used the wifi to download books?
just transferred from laptop?

I use WIFI to download books to my iphone kindle app all the time and have had no dramas.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Amazon doesn't seem to care about ISP. I have a foreign ISP, Amazon shipped my Kindle to a foreign address, but my credit card has a U.S. billing address--my sister's home--so they consider me a U.S. customer.

Last edited by patrickt; 08-15-2010 at 01:14 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I understand that Amazon does keep track of the IP address you are downloading from (and it doesn't matter if you use wifi or not). If you keep showing up as connecting from Australia, and have logged a U.S. address, they will send you an e-mail eventually. I'm not sure what happens after that, or even if they do that systematically, but just because they don't react the first time doesn't mean that they won't react at some point.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you're that worried about it, then only download to computer and use a VPN server to spoof a US IP address. Also, many pay only by gift card so as not to undergo a payment origin check.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The emails seem random in that not everyone gets them, and those that do simply wait for a month and try again. I have never heard of anyones account being cancelled. One who did get the email hadn't even bought a kindle but was using their iPhone. I've had the kindle since last October and have got over 300 books from amazon. No email. No VPN. No US credit card. But I do have a real USA address.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I understand that Amazon does keep track of the IP address you are downloading from (and it doesn't matter if you use wifi or not). If you keep showing up as connecting from Australia, and have logged a U.S. address, they will send you an e-mail eventually. I'm not sure what happens after that, or even if they do that systematically, but just because they don't react the first time doesn't mean that they won't react at some point.
Would you say that Amazon makes a distinction between 'buying' and 'downloading' books? A VPN can be used for buying, and I'll be very happy if I can switch on wifi to then download the bought books...
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
Would you say that Amazon makes a distinction between 'buying' and 'downloading' books? A VPN can be used for buying, and I'll be very happy if I can switch on wifi to then download the bought books...
I wouldn't know, mine is only second-hand knowledge anyway, but if they do track it, I would think they do it for both...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote