artisticforge
artisticforge began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iPad and calibre

hello;

i have been using calibre several months to manage the e-books
on the imacs and the macbook pro laptop. i have never intended
to use calibre to manage the e-books on the iPods and iPads. i use
iTunes to manage the e-books on the iPods and iPads.

today, i wanted to add some music to the iPad. i attached the iPad
to the imac. i was unpleasantly surprised to discover the calibre was
indexing the books on the iPad. calibre then proceeded to load all 671
e-books onto the iPad and into iTunes. that is definitely not what i wanted
to happen. if i want e-books added to iTunes i will add them to iTunes.
if i want e-books added to the iPads i will select them to be
added by iTunes.

i waited for iTunes to finish syncing with the iPad, then i proceeded
to delete all the e-books that calibre had added to iTunes and the iPad.

i do not understand why calibre did what it did today. calibre was running
in the background to provide the web server for stanza. i did interact
with calibre today until calibre decided it knew more about how to manage
the e-books on my computers and iPads than i did.

today, calibre burned me and i have learned that when attaching the
iPads to be sure that calibre is not running and after detaching the iPads
calibre may be started.

as far as continuing to use calibre for managing e-books, that remains
to be seen.
artisticforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you please do us a favor and not hit return in the middle of your lines? It makes your post somewhat harder to read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
artisticforge

hello;

sorry that my manner of posting does not meet your criteria.
i post so that i am able to read it clearly.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can disable the iPad driver in preferences so that calibre will not interact with your iPad.

I don't know what would have triggered what you describe; the driver is designed to require a selection of one or more books and clicking Send to device. If you post more information about your sync settings maybe we can determine what happened.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not send books to your device unless you click send to device. So what happened is simple, you clicked send to device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticforge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you please do us a favor and not hit return in the middle of your lines? It makes your post somewhat harder to read.
hello;

sorry that my manner of posting does not meet your criteria.
i post so that i am able to read it clearly.
It could make it harder for me to read, but it sure is a pain in the patookie when I try to reply to folks that do this. I always thought it was the software they were using that was causing this. It never occurred to me that in a time of various size monitors, reflowable text and font size changing at the flip of the wheel that someone would actually do this on purpose.

Please take a look at the attached image and tell me you think this is a format that we should all aspire to.

Back on topic: What you experienced is not the normal operation of calibre with an iPad. Please get the info to GRiker to figure out and correct the anomaly. Minus any added info I have to agree with Kovid, calibre does what you tell it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badpost.png
Views:	393
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	53443  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-15-2010 at 10:22 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
artisticforge

hello;

i have no idea why calibre did what it did today.

in iTunes the sync settings for the iPad are to sync selected audiobooks
and all Books. the books in iTunes before calibre added the 600+ books
was 25 books. Those 25 books were from the gutenburg project or the
internet archives. calibre setting are whatever the defaults are. i downloaded
calibre 0.7.2 for macosx and installed it.

iTunes and calibre were both running when i attached the iPad. shortly
after attaching the iPad the calibre icon in the dock started to jump up and
down indicating that it required attention. i clicked on the calibre icon and
noticed that the jobs section of the calibre main page was active. clinking
on the jobs section brought up the detailed jobs window. in the top information
window next to where the number of books in the library is given showed
an iPad icon and indicated that there was 7.5 gigabytes free. the jobs window
showed that calibre was reading the iPad for the books list. next it showed
that it was loading all the books onto the iPad. during this time the imac would
become non-responsive for close to a minute at a time. with the iPad containing
the entire e-books collection of 679 books caused iTunes of add the entire collection
to the "Books" category.

to prevent this from happening again i have disabled all device plugins.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
artisticforge

iPad and calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not send books to your device unless you click send to device. So what happened is simple, you clicked send to device.

No, i did not. I did nothing to calibre.
i did not interact with calibre until calibre was adding the
entire collection to the iPad.

i know that i did not click on calibre to send any books to the iPad.
whatever calibre did , it did without any input from me.

that i know to be a fact.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
in iTunes the sync settings for the iPad are to sync selected audiobooks
and all Books. the books in iTunes before calibre added the 600+ books
was 25 books. Those 25 books were from the gutenburg project or the
internet archives. calibre setting are whatever the defaults are. i downloaded
calibre 0.7.2 for macosx and installed it.
I don't have an iPad but I find this interesting. You had itunes set to sync all books and calibre sync'd all books. I wonder if this is a bug or a feature?

[offtopic]So you really are happy with posting in this manner (see attached)? Unbelievable, I would have thought once it was pointed out that you may have thought better.[/offtopic]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badpost-2.png
Views:	320
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	53444  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
artisticforge

reading and formatting posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It could make it harder for me to read, but it sure is a pain in the patookie when I try to reply to folks that do this. I always thought it was the software they were using that was causing this. It never occurred to me that in a time of various size monitors, reflowable text and font size changing at the flip of the wheel that someone would actually do this on purpose.

Please take a look at the attached image and tell me you think this is a format that we should all aspire to.

Back on topic: What you experienced is not the normal operation of calibre with an iPad. Please get the info to GRiker to figure out and correct the anomaly. Minus any added info I have to agree with Kovid, calibre does what you tell it to.
i am not making any comment concerning how anyone else should format
their posts to any forums. i am just stating as to why i format my posts in
the manner that i do. that is all i am stating nothing more and nothing less.
as to how others format their posts is entirely up to them. as to whether
or not i read their posts is entirely up to me.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
i am not making any comment concerning how anyone else should format
their posts to any forums. i am just stating as to why i format my posts in
the manner that i do. that is all i am stating nothing more and nothing less.
as to how others format their posts is entirely up to them. as to whether
or not i read their posts is entirely up to me.
I agree with you, but if I was looking for assistance I would try to post in a manner that was easily viewable by all, even those reading via a mobile device. The only reason I attached images is because it may be hard to envision how your posts are viewed by those interested in helping out.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
No, i did not. I did nothing to calibre.
i did not interact with calibre until calibre was adding the
entire collection to the iPad.

i know that i did not click on calibre to send any books to the iPad.
whatever calibre did , it did without any input from me.

that i know to be a fact.
And I know to be a fact that calibre does not have any code to spontaneously send books anywhere. Since the calibre code is open source, my claims are subject to verification. Your memory is not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have been using Calibre with the iPad ever since the 0.7.x series of Calibre came out with an iPad/iTunes driver and have certainly not had it send any books unsolicited. With default settings Calibre WILL now show what books are already on the iPad (assuming you have not disabled the calibre iPad driver) when you plug it in but that is all I have ever seen it do. I have been able to add books either via ITunes, or via Calibre and in both cases only those that I have explicitly added have ever appeared.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
artisticforge

hello;

in the interest of resolving the anti-social behavior of calibre yesterday
i would be willing to setup my jvc digital video camera to record the screen
of the imac and document the behavior of calibre while attaching the iPad
to the imac. at least in doing so those who are still convinced that i clicked
on the 'send to device' button will see that calibre did it all by itself with
no input from me.

let me know what you decide.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you decide to do this, can you also include shots of the iTunes settings. I would have thought that there has to be something that is different from the norm in your settings that is triggering this behaviour as you are the first to report anything like this behaviour.

There is a bug in the 0.7.2 release where it will also include any audiobook files (corrected for 0.7.3) among the books listed. This is unexpected but should be benign. I guess not many people have both ebooks and audiobooks on the iPad simultaneously. I reported this issue and was given a fix to test very quickly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad thing, ipad, itunes