Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Google. How utterly mundane and at the same time indicative of the web at the moment.

The reason I stayed? This is simply the most friendly,helpful, literate and active forum I have been a member of.
Google for me also. And I noticed that discussing books and gadgets was fund. Also this is the only forum I have used that works. It is fast and it never forgets what you have read and no other forum I have used has both of these properties.

I am trying to use internettablettalk and is is very slow and it takes so long time to jump to the last unread that you get fooled and press space. It also regularly marks items as read when I have not read them. I think it is because I google for something and end up in the forum and then I loose the unread information. This forum does not have any of these problems. Maybe somebody could write the guide of how to setup a working forum that other people could use...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #32
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Google. How utterly mundane and at the same time indicative of the web at the moment.

The reason I stayed? This is simply the most friendly,helpful, literate and active forum I have been a member of.

Thanks all
Ditto, on all counts! I was looking for info on the Kindle, and comparisons between that and the other available devices. Found this site, *great* comparisons, helpful people, lots of books, daily activity ..... and so I stayed. And find myself compulsively checking back often!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #33
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Bob, I [thankfully] found this wonderful site while searching for 'ebook hardware' or somesuch input on Google. I was getting a bit desperate to find a replacement for my Rocket reader, which I felt sure would die on me sooner or later - the battery that is, rather than the rest of the hardware. The information I received on here eventually led me to purchase a CyBook first-generation reader, which I'm very happy with. In fact, my Rocket and my CyBook are still going strong. I'm now looking to buy an E-Ink device [ don't scold me JS if that is incorrect phraseology ], with the hope of weaning myself from backlit devices. I'm glad to see that the Sony reader is just about to become available over-here [UK]. Hopefully some site like Ebuyer will buy a gigantic job-lot and drive the price down. Unfortunately, given Sony's propensity for controlling every aspect of their goods that's obviously not very likely. However, we can live in hope.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #34
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
This site was cross reffed on Kindle Korner on Yahoo and I wandered aimlessly over. Got snookered into a conversation with a robot and a squirrel, lost consciousness, and woke up the next morning with this big red L tattooed on my chest. Now I find that I can't leave...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #35
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i was searching for more info on ebooks on google and here i am!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #36
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I had read about the Iliad and thought it was interesting but too expensive. Then I saw the *Huge* ad about the Kindle and remembered reading about other eink devices. I then did the standard Google search to see if there were other options for Canadians. I very quickly ended up at MR and stayed because of the great information available here.

If it wasn't for MR I wouldn't have bought the Cybook Gen3 just in time for Christmas 2007. I wouldn't have known that Cybook Gen3 take 2 was coming out and bought that one too.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I was looking for a book on Amazon, saw the kindle and wound up doing some research. Voila! Here I am.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #38
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing all the nice comments . It's very interesting to hear all the stories about what people were looking for and how they ended up here.

Keep 'em coming!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #39
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Pretty much through Google the first couple of times. But those were more of a just dripping in to check something visits.

Became more active after deciding to get a e-ink reader, and followed a lot of links down from blog's like JKontheRun, etc. when trying to decide which one to get.

Still, Mobileread has become the No 1 site I send people who show an interest in E-books and readers to.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #40
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
My favorite gadget for reading used to be my Palm Zire. I used it for my contacts (sync with Outlook), and for reading books. I found out about it when I saw someone else with one at the airport. Before then, It never occurred to me that you could read books on them.

I was using Mobipocket on my PC and on the Palm. I loved it because it could fit in my pocket, Hated that the battery life was such that I could only read for a couple of hours without charging.

My new favorite is my Cybook. It was quite a search for a cover that would protect it well enough to toss in my purse . . . but I found one--Levenger compact Circa Zip Folio. I put my contacts in a PDF document (thanks to a tool from Microsoft). I take it everywhere with me.
I found out about it on Baen's Bar forum.

So the Palm is now relegated to the nightstand, where its backlight is a distinct advantage and I can operate it plugged in if I have to.
Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #41
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I'm don't recall how I first discovered MobileRead.

My favorite gadget is my Tapwave Zodiac 2 PDA. I got it when my old Palm Tungsten E PDA was failing, and the E in turn replaced a Handspring Visor Pro, which replaced a Handspring Deluxe that failed the Drop Test (tm).

The Handspring Deluxe came from a former employer, who decided all IT staffers should have PDAs. I went looking for things that would help me do my job, and discovered that I could take electronic versions of the documentation for systems I dealt with and convert it to a form usable on my PDA. I could carry a documentation library in my pocket.

I didn't see myself reading fiction on the device, but discovered soon enough I could do that, too. One thing led to another, and there are now about 3,500 ebooks on the Zodiac, in a wide variety of topics and genres.

Interest in ebooks in general eventually led me to MobileRead, which is the single best site I've found dealing with ebooks and the associated technology.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #42
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I really did NOT need this thread. In reading it, I found myself over at the Fujitsu site ... looking at the new tablet PCs and one ultra micro tablet pc that is soooo sweet (although with only a 60GB HD ... I'm thinking that a regular tablet might be nicer).

Just what I needed .... the urge to upgrade my tablet.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #43
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
I just finished my semester exams of my engineering degree two weeks ago (still two more sems to go). And i had already started using my computer to read books and to browse almost 17 hours a day.

As i was going through my ebook collection (mostly comprising of PDF books), i had to take short breaks in between reading hours though, mainly to avoid sour eyes. Also this process provoked a thought in my mind about researching more about mobile forms of reading ebooks. I knew about e-ink technology before, also had seen Sony reader, Kindle over the internet. But had never given a serious thoughts about getting atleast a petty ebook reader, mainly because of my misconception that no mobile readers are feasible for me.

But this time, as i had searched for ebook reading devices similar to Sony eareader, Kindle i started bumping pages which showed me devices other thank actual e-ink devices.

I found several webpages showing me PDAs, Palmtops and even portable gaming devices such as Sony PSPs being used as mobile readers.

And the important thing was, whenever i found a device like PDA being used as reader, i googled particularly for that device along with some extra tags. For example, "PDA as ebook reader or iPaq as ebook device"...

And i started bumping mobilereader forum again and again. At first, even though i went through the pages which showed me details of the devices, i wasn't quite impressed by the first looks.

As i continued my search for mobile readers, the frequency of bumping MR increased a lot, and that was the time when the goodness of MR really hit me (positively). And since then, i have started seriously going through different sections of the forum, haven't finished yet.....

This is how i found MR......

About my favorite device:

I don't own many gadgets at the moment, however i have owned four computers till today. I don't think it can be considered as a gadget, however as i use one of my computers very much i will just mention the specifications of my computer...

It's an Intel Core 2 duo - e2160 processor (overclocked to 3.8GHz) based computer with 2GB of G'skill 800MHz RAM.

Apart from this, among the gadgets i currently own, my favorite is my MP3 player Philips GoGear SA1335 which has a gigabyte of memory and gives very good quality sound output coupled with a Creative ep630 headphone...

Well, i hope i haven't bored you friends. That's all for now.
Regards........
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #44
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't remember how I first heard about eInk, but pretty much from start all I could think about that was WANT (I think it was in a short review of that very first, japanese market only Sony Librié in a computer magazine.) After a few years of pondering the question whether an eInk-reader would be too expensive or not, and whether I could use it to carry some reference books and papers for my studies around on it, I finally decided that I couldn't know if it was useful unless I bought one. At that time, I pretty much only knew the Sony Reader. Googling around a bit on device specs I ran across the ebook reader matrix on the MR Wiki and found out about the Cybook, which seemed to be the device best suited for my needs. It wasn't until after I had ordered the Cybook that I found out MR isn't just a wiki, but a community.
That's about it...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #45
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Amazon.com while I was looking for information on the Kindle. In the forum there was a listing of sites that provided ebook information and also some free books to download.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote