Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
anyone tried medical textbooks on kindle yet? any docs here?

http://www.amazon.com/Harrisons-Prin...8263814&sr=1-1

I am considering getting this. Has anyone tried it? there are no reviews for the kindle edition on amazon.

Anyone tried any other medical e-textbooks?

TY
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
That's not a bad price on Harrison's. They don't have Kaplan and Sadock's Textbook of Psychiatry, yet. Can't imagine it would be any less eye straining as the paper version. On a K2 the illustrations might not be too bad.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I haven't tried it; I'd be interested to know what you think. You can always get it and return it if you don't like it; I've returned a couple of things that didn't translate well to Kindle and Amazon customer support was really good about it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
med007
Enthusiast

i bought the book.
It's ok - the figures are a little light in terms of contrast but viewable.
I'm really bummed that the search this book isn't working.
but the TOC and text to speech work
if you are able to listen to tachycardia pronounced ta - CH (like chuck) - ycardia.

i called customer support about search this book not working. They said they will do quality control on it. I think it is because the book is so dang big - 128 or so mb.

the bible is the book they use saying it will download in about 1 min. The guy on the phone said it would download in about 30 min. better to dwnld to computer and transfer over (to the documents folder).
Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
i bought the book.
if you are able to listen to tachycardia pronounced ta - CH (like chuck) - ycardia.

i called customer support about search this book not working. They said they will do quality control on it. I think it is because the book is so dang big - 128 or so mb.

the bible is the book they use saying it will download in about 1 min. The guy on the phone said it would download in about 30 min. better to dwnld to computer and transfer over (to the documents folder).

We were all joking about TTS on romance novels, but now I'm dying to hear a medical book
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
i bought the book.

I was listening to the first Temeraire (fiction: British view of the Wars of Napoleon with dragons) book. Every time it got to "hatchling" it pronounced it "hatckling." Took me a while to figure out what that meant.

Quote:

Man, that's huge. I wonder if it's a topaz book. (If it is, it will have a .azw1 or .tpz file extension (or maybe .azw2; I've heard of those but not seen one yet.)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a huge book. Weighs about five to seven pounds in paper. Search fucntion won't work until the Kindle has indexed it, which will take a while and lots of battery. Best to let it sit overnight on power and then try it.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I've read some medical student forums a little while ago, and more Kaplan books should be added very soon to Kindle.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
I've read some medical student forums a little while ago, and more Kaplan books should be added very soon to Kindle.
That's cool! I hope they have the full version and not the synopsis. When I have to look something up, these days, it's about some of the finer points and not what the medical student would need for casually passing a test.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
med007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
It is a huge book. Weighs about five to seven pounds in paper. Search fucntion won't work until the Kindle has indexed it, which will take a while and lots of battery. Best to let it sit overnight on power and then try it.

are you sure that is how it works? According to the amazon tech guy on the phone, the kindle does NOT store an index similar to spotlight or google desktop for later searching later. He says the search starts fresh each time.

He also said that the storage space is all RAM (solid state) which doesn't make sense to me.

Please post a link explaining the technical details on how the kindle2 searches a book.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
med007
Enthusiast

the index is not useful in the kindle version of harrisons.

It just is a list of the words in the index - NO HYPERLINKING. such a shame.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
pshrynk

Well, the "search" function is more about the ability of the kindle to find certain words by scanning all the files on the kindle when you search. It's not a real index.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
med007
Enthusiast

we are talking about 2 different things.

google desktop indexes files to pull them faster when you do a search.

I'm upset that the digital version of the textbooks index (the list with page numbers at the back of a text) is not useful because there are no hyperlinks or page numbers for the kindle edition. It is just a list of words.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
med007
Enthusiast

i'm also curious to know exactly how the kindle 2 searches.

does it need time to "index" all the words in the book before it can search it?

if so, how long would it take to do that on a 128 mb file?

My guess is that is not the issue with the Harrisons 17ed not searching. I think it is either a kindle software problem where it can't handle files that big, or something with the text itself that is causing the error.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
pshrynk

Quote:
i'm also curious to know exactly how the kindle 2 searches.

does it need time to "index" all the words in the book before it can search it?

if so, how long would it take to do that on a 128 mb file?

My guess is that is not the issue with the Harrisons 17ed not searching. I think it is either a kindle software problem where it can't handle files that big, or something with the text itself that is causing the error.
A very long time would be my guess. When i first got the Mobipocket Guide from here on MR, it took two days and that is very small compared to Harrison's.

to get the K2 to search, click "menu" then down to "search", type in the term you're looking for, then select one of the options , click. Wiat for it, then click on Harrison's and look through the locations it offers.