Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PDFs, metadata and conversion on a Mac

I'm currently using Calibre on my Mac to manage my book library and transfer it to my PRS-505.

I've just recently got a selection of PDF files which I want to use on it, but they have pretty screwy metadata ... if I just import them directly into calibre some end up with author and title swapped and some have complete garbage in them.

The files are all named as "<author> - <title>.pdf", so I am thinking the best solution would be to find a CLI PDF metadata editor so I can do do a batch re-tag on them, assuming there is any such thing on the Mac ... or can I force calibre to set metadata based on filename rather than content?

Once I've got this sorted, is it best to leave them all as PDFs, or should I convert them all to LRF?

Ta
Iain
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just change the setting in the Advanced Configuration dialog*. By default it expects Title - Author, not Author - Title, which explains why they're getting swapped.

(?P<author>.+) - (?P<title>[^_]+)

should do the trick.

*the Configuration dialog is accessed through the small hammer icon to the right of the search field

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson View Post
I'm currently using Calibre on my Mac to manage my book library and transfer it to my PRS-505.

I've just recently got a selection of PDF files which I want to use on it, but they have pretty screwy metadata ... if I just import them directly into calibre some end up with author and title swapped and some have complete garbage in them.

The files are all named as "<author> - <title>.pdf", so I am thinking the best solution would be to find a CLI PDF metadata editor so I can do do a batch re-tag on them, assuming there is any such thing on the Mac ... or can I force calibre to set metadata based on filename rather than content?

Once I've got this sorted, is it best to leave them all as PDFs, or should I convert them all to LRF?

Ta
Iain
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Oops, I usually go through all the settings on any software I use, just to see if there is anything useful. I didn't do that with calibre!
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote