Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #46
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question about the device while it's plugged in

a) can you still read and
b) does the device start to charge automatically when plugged in via USB?

Because that is an annoying trait of the PRS-505. One that would shorten the life of certain type of batteries.

I know I would be using the device throughout the day as a third screen for reading documents, and on the train ride back home... So the plug-in, plug-out would be quite frequent...
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #47
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien View Post
a) can you still read and
b) does the device start to charge automatically when plugged in via USB?

Because that is an annoying trait of the PRS-505. One that would shorten the life of certain type of batteries.

I know I would be using the device throughout the day as a third screen for reading documents, and on the train ride back home... So the plug-in, plug-out would be quite frequent...
I believe in the Manual which was posted earlier it says you CAN read while the USB is plugged into a computer and charging. It just doesn't charge as quickly.
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #48
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
Yes you can read while plugged in. Unfortunatly, it comes with a standard usb mini b plug that gets in the way, but I am going to order a low profile right angle mini-b that will be less in the way.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #49
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
To say that the DR1000 is an accessory to a computer is sort of like saying a book is an accesory to a bookstore. Yes, it does need power, but a $10 AC to USB adapter works fine. The DR1000 is a book. In fact, it is all books. It has some features a paper book does not have, like you can scribble on any PDF and (with some added software) convert the scribble to computer text, but why in God's name would you want to print documents from the DR1000? Indeed, the whole demographic for the device is business people who are to use it instead of printing reports!!

Personally, I don't plan to buy another paper book (including sheet music) as long as I live. I won't be using a DR1000 for the rest of my life, but the PDF and CHM files I am accumulating are here to stay, and the 60 pounds of technical manuals, 30 pounds of sheet music and 20 pounds of random personal reading I like to keep around, those are going out the door.

The DR1000 is still a little rough and way too expensive, yes. They are still refining the firmware, and the device is a tad slower than I would like (although it mostly turns pages faster than I can when reading music, and plenty fast when reading anything else). It isn't as slick as an Ipod (or the tablet Captain Picard used to read from on Star Trek TNG) but it's pretty good, pretty easy to use, and veryt open. To me none of the smaller form factors are real products. They might be okay for reading novels, but that's about 1% of my reading. The DR is the first ebook reader in the history of the world to be light, portable, and with a large enough screen and high enough resolution to really and truely display A4 documents, sheet music, magazines and large format books. Yes it's cutting edge and you pay the price, but I carry it with be all day and to me it's worth it.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreg View Post
To say that the DR1000 is an accessory to a computer is sort of like saying a book is an accesory to a bookstore. Yes, it does need power, but a $10 AC to USB adapter works fine. The DR1000 is a book. In fact, it is all books. It has some features a paper book does not have, like you can scribble on any PDF and (with some added software) convert the scribble to computer text, but why in God's name would you want to print documents from the DR1000? Indeed, the whole demographic for the device is business people who are to use it instead of printing reports!!
Your analogy is wrong. Can you use a book without visiting a bookstore? Yes. Can you use the DR1000S without a computer to load files on to it? No.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Your analogy is wrong. Can you use a book without visiting a bookstore? Yes. Can you use the DR1000S without a computer to load files on to it? No.
The DR is a computer accessory. That's not a startling revelation - so is every other eBook Reader on the market, with the possible (and rather limited) exception of the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote