Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Availability in Canada

Hey. First post so hello all.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get this in Canada? Since it launched in Canada in April it has been impossible to find. Sony stores aren't taking orders for them, websites selling them have been told to sell them only to educational customers, the Sony Style site has a huge backlog of orders and not expecting stock for a long time. Great launch Sony. So anyone know where I can obtain one from? If it helps I live in Toronto, but am willing to buy off the net (but am cautious about importing form the US due to duty.)
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Why not just drive down to Buffalo and buy one at a Border's there? If there might be a problem driving over the border with it when you return home, buy a Sony PSP car charger (or wall charger) for $20 at a Best Buy or other electronics store, charge the Reader, and put the Reader in your backpack so it looks like an already-used personal item which you brought with you when you entered the U.S.

It might be a lot quicker than waiting for the online sources.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast

Not an option. I don't drive so it would cost me a couple hundred dollars to hire the car and I've never been to Buffalo. Would be much cheaper and more convenient to order online from the US and even pay the UPS charges. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Jeeves
Jeeves has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS 505
I've seen them in Sony style /I guess it's a Sony store/ in Calgary, so they are here....
I ordered mine from the States from B&H, but that was the last year... Good luck
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Jarery
Jarery began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I bought mine at the Sony Store in vancouver.
Jarery is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
My brother-in-law bought two for me at Pacific Centre in Vancouver and brought them over to China.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast

All the Sony Stores appear to be sold out now, and they even are having a lot of trouble getting stock of them. I really wanted one before I head off on vacation in a weeks time but looks like I'm SooL.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
All the Sony Stores appear to be sold out now, and they even are having a lot of trouble getting stock of them. I really wanted one before I head off on vacation in a weeks time but looks like I'm SooL.
My local Sonystyle store said if I get on the waiting list they can have one for me in about a week.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Gamma6
Gamma6 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I called Sony in Canada directly and was told that they don't expect to see any new ones before the end of July.
So, I got mine from CDW. Last week they had considerable stock.
I'm going to try to paste a link here: http://www.cdw.ca/shop/products/defa...px?EDC=1318852
They shipped it to me in 2 days for the same retail price as you'd get in the Sony store.
Gamma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I ordered one through the 'next-in-line' option at sonystyle.ca. The estimated delivery date was June 30, but my reader arrived on June 13. I guess they're shipping them out as quickly as they can.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast

Actually thanks for the suggestions but I got mine today. Seems all the Sony shops in Canada have received them in the last couple of days. 2 months after launch stock has finally made it to Canada. Yippee.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
KamikazePanda
KamikazePanda began at the beginning.

Device: ____
I've been having significantly less luck getting a hold of one. I've been on a local sony stores waiting list for around two weeks and they still say they have no idea when they'll get more in It's almost like sony doesn't want my money
KamikazePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
The Sony Style Stores in Calgary are special ordering them for people (me included). The guy I dealt with said they haven't been able to keep them in stock - people are buying multiple copies for an entire family.

But special orders comein fast so it isn't a huge deal.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
HAC
HAC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I ordered my online June 13, it shipped yesterday (June 19).
Cheers
Harold
HAC is offline   Reply With Quote