Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
keenanpepper
keenanpepper is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
This PDF doesn't display on Kindle 3

The attached PDF (the first page of a 1029-page encyclopedia volume) shows up as completely blank on my Kindle 3, even though it works fine in both Evince and Adobe Reader. I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue why.

The only thing I can think of is that it uses JBIG2 compression. Does the Kindle support PDF files with JBIG2? It's part of the PDF standard...

I can send anyone the full PDF file if they want, but it's slightly too large to upload here so I just cut out the first page to demonstrate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-firstpage.pdf (1.33 MB, 671 views)
keenanpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

You are right: it shows a white page in my Kindle DXG and my Sony 505 and reboots my Cybook Gen3.

Interesting enough, it opens without a problem using it in Duokan on the Kindle DXG.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
It shows a complete black page when opened with FoxIt (PDF-Reader) on my PC. There must be something wrong with this PDF.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
I must say it's an absurdly huge size for a one page black text on white page image!
azit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yeah, this doesn't show up on my Kindle either. I think that the file is too big with weird formats. Why don't you export it to a series of images (since they are images already) that will be more Kindle friendly?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Or download Adobe Acrobat Trial, go to PDF Optimization and in the section black-white-pictures, choose JBIG2 (lossless) as compression. Size now: 10 KB and it works on the Kindle
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
keenanpepper

Ah, I see I've confused everyone by cutting out the first page. The file I attached is so large because it contains the whole JBIG2 symbol table which is used for the rest of the 1029-page file as well. But you only need to store the symbol table once for the whole file, so the size of the file as a whole is quite small.

Here are the first 800 pages of the file, which fit in 20 MB. If you can do better than this (either as a different PDF or as images), by all means speak up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-800pages.pdf (18.29 MB, 476 views)

Last edited by keenanpepper; 01-03-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
keenanpepper

Well, I figured it out if anyone's curious. The PDF file I was trying to use was a totally valid (and efficient) PDF, but since the whole 1000-page volume was compressed together as one unit, the JBIG2 symbol table at the start was quite large. Probably the Kindle doesn't have enough memory set aside for that, which is why it didn't display.

I compressed the file again, but this time compressing each page separately and stitching them all together at the end. The file is slightly larger, but now it displays fine on the Kindle (and pretty fast too).
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
boweser93
boweser93 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
i have just recently got my kindle and have been reading a series of book but amazon only have half the series, so i have been downloading the pdfs to read them however when i went to put the most recent on i am having the same problem as you it is only showing the first 5 pages. i am not very good when it comes to computers and stuff so i was wondering if you could fix it for me as (if i upload the file, if u tell me how) i do not understand what to do from ur last comment. please please HELP ME x
boweser93 is offline   Reply With Quote