Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am waiting for the next issue of Samsung Galaxy Players.

The new 4 inch iPod Touches are superior to the Samsung screens.

The hardware doesn't really matter so much anymore because everyone's is more powerful.

The Android system has more practical choices than the iOS and is cheaper, but the use of the iPod Touch is better in the hand.

And again the screen is much better for the iPod Touch than the Galaxy Player.

Samsung has to move up from its 800x600 screen. The real estate (size) is fine, but the screen has to be made better.

If I moved from my Droid I today, I would go with the iPod Touch hardware. I don't like that.

Where and when is the next issue of Samsung Players? They have the screen technology. They make it for Apple and others and apply it to their phones. They just need to apply it to their players.

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-17-2013 at 11:23 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Why don't you buy an old Galaxy Note instead? Much better than the Galaxy Players.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Why don't you buy an old Galaxy Note instead? Much better than the Galaxy Players.
When the price comes down, maybe. I did that with the Droid I. $36 all inclusive from eBay, except I added a new battery (about $5 or 6) and used an big SD card I already had.

I think 5 inches would be perfect. Maybe 1024 or so across the width.

Samsung has to get away from the 800x600.

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-17-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Maybe having a fresh out of the box device is better for this gentleman.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Let me explain what I have been doing deciding what kind of wi-fi mobile I wanted for reading eBooks, for reading email, and the other things you can do on line.

First I like to test drive or fly a craft before I buy it. Usually they are used and I like to have them several days at least.
Second I like to look at the total spectrum.

Well, how to do that with mobile devices in a practical manner?

I found a place "www.cheap-phone.com which is a window into eBay, and also I look at eBay directly. "cheap-phone" does most of the work for me.

That is where I got my used Droid I, and also a Sanyo, a LG, a Kyocera, Archos, etc.
I look at the "Wi-Fi" phones on the site.
I buy them generally $30 or less, never more than $36 and try them for a few weeks. Return them if something is wrong, and if everything is ok, I just resell them to mostly kids that can't afford a expensive phone contract yet but would like a cheap unlocked wi-fi phone that they can use away from home. I also give them to young relatives.

I have been through more than half a dozen now. Still have the Droid and also one other to be returned, for since my Lady friend decided she wanted a new iPod Touch 5th generation (4") I (NOW) also have a 4th generation iPod, which I have always been impressed with it handling, (the hardware touch function and usability.) However the iPod is a little small.

I like my Samsung 7+ Tab, and would like the equivalent 4 1/2 inch to 5 inch hand held Wi-Fi for my pocket.

The 800x600 screen on the Galaxy Players is just too small. I have decided that after extensive testing, I don't even want anything more than 5 inches. I think 4 3/4 to 5 " might be ideal but I want a higher resolution screen.

Hopefully the next edition will be something closer to the Note. Amoled would be great. Then if I have decided on the size, I am sure Samsung will offer several models one of which will fit my wishes. Providing multiple sizes is something they are good at.

Now when I find what I want, I may indeed buy a new one, but I want to be as sure as possible about size, screen, etc. I am picky.

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

The new 4 inch iPod Touches are superior to the Samsung screens.

The hardware doesn't really matter so much anymore because everyone's is more powerful.

The Android system has more practical choices than the iOS and is cheaper, but the use of the iPod Touch is better in the hand.

And again the screen is much better for the iPod Touch than the Galaxy Player.

Samsung has to move up from its 800x600 screen. The real estate (size) is fine, but the screen has to be made better.

If I moved from my Droid I today, I would go with the iPod Touch hardware. I don't like that.

Where and when is the next issue of Samsung Players? They have the screen technology. They make it for Apple and others and apply it to their phones. They just need to apply it to their players.
With the continued push for converged devices, standalone players are no longer as popular as they once were. The smartphone market is highly competitive and so that is where the focus is. The current Galaxy player line up is 2 years old and the specs were low-end even for devices back then.

When I was looking for a standalone Android-based pocketable device, I took many serious long looks at the Galaxy players, but couldn't justify spending the $190-$220 they still sell for new.

That's when I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket smartphone... new, no contract, for $220. Overall it is a much nicer device than the Galaxy players, IMO. Better camera, replaceable battery, nicer screen, faster processor. And when put in airplane-mode and judicious use of WiFi, battery life rivals my iPod Touch 4G.

I'm running Nova Launcher on it and use it primarily as a portable music/video player. Play a few games on it. Using Moon+ can even read my epub, pdf, and cbz/cbr books.

I've hidden virtually all traces of the phone components (except for the "AT&T" stamped on the case) no one would know it was a phone.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
With the continued push for converged devices, standalone players are no longer as popular as they once were. The smartphone market is highly competitive and so that is where the focus is. The current Galaxy player line up is 2 years old and the specs were low-end even for devices back then.

When I was looking for a standalone Android-based pocketable device, I took many serious long looks at the Galaxy players, but couldn't justify spending the $190-$220 they still sell for new.

That's when I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket smartphone... new, no contract, for $220. Overall it is a much nicer device than the Galaxy players, IMO. Better camera, replaceable battery, nicer screen, faster processor. And when put in airplane-mode and judicious use of WiFi, battery life rivals my iPod Touch 4G.

I'm running Nova Launcher on it and use it primarily as a portable music/video player. Play a few games on it. Using Moon+ can even read my epub, pdf, and cbz/cbr books.

I've hidden virtually all traces of the phone components (except for the "AT&T" stamped on the case) no one would know it was a phone.
How did you get rid of that message that pop ups at boot up?

"Make a call to AT&T to activate your phone."
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How did you get rid of that message that pop ups at boot up?

"Make a call to AT&T to activate your phone."
I've never received that message.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
I've never received that message.
It isn't a real problem. I just hit the back button, but when I went through the Android I trying to cut off all the "phone stuff," that just kept coming up.

I only use it for WiFi and I feel that the phone part still takes some battery power. In airplane mode it lasts a very long time.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:

--
I like the Amoled, but less pixels than the Galaxy Players.
Strange thing is the SG Player 5 has increased its price. There are fewer models on Amazon ----> only one, the latest, shows with a lower price, the 4.2 inch.
--->>> I feel that a SG Player revision is about to hit the market.

I sure hope so.

To sum it up, I want a iPod/iPhone screen on 4.75 or 5 inch Android device! Everything else is a wash.

I don't use a phone that much. A simple cheap feature phone is fine for me. When working or at a motel/hotel or at home, I use a net book or a desktop. It is when I pause on the road at a restaurant that I want a mobile Wi-Fi gadget in my pocket.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
To sum it up, I want a iPod/iPhone screen on 4.75 or 5 inch Android device! Everything else is a wash.
As long as it is under $200, I agree.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

When is the NEXT SHOW where Samsung might announce a new Player?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
MWC is starting now, but Samsung usually announce devices at separate events so they don't have to share the public attention.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Walkman Z. Saw it at a Sony store and first impression was it blew away the current Samsung Galaxy players.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Walkman Z. Saw it at a Sony store and first impression was it blew away the current Samsung Galaxy players.
Way too expensive. Sony apparently haven't yet learnt from past mistakes.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote