Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
any opinions on att.net email vs gmail?

I've had att.net and am just so tired of the endless flashing ads on the side of the email screen. Gmail seems much more subdued. Ads yes, but subtle and non-flashing.

I would like to get some feedback before I switch because it's going to be a pain switching over all my social network stuff to the new email. Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd advise you to either negotiate for greggbell.com, or register greggbell.me or greggbell.org, or choose some other word that's relevant to you, and get an email address with your own domain.

There's no point in going through the pain of an email address change to another email address that you don't own.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Exactly. Once the domain is yours you can access the e-mail however you wish to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd advise you to either negotiate for greggbell.com, or register greggbell.me or greggbell.org, or choose some other word that's relevant to you, and get an email address with your own domain.

There's no point in going through the pain of an email address change to another email address that you don't own.
I was going to give exactly the same advice Domains aren't expensive, and you can just forward emails to wherever you like, so you don't need technical expertise.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes

Quote:

You know, that's exactly what I've been trying to do but I haven't heard back from the guy and my last two emails got returned with the 'mailer daemon' message. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

one more thought

Quote:

I've actually got greggbell.net but I've been really hoping to get greggbell.com. I did hear from the owner once, but then, like I said, I got the failure notices. I don't know. I'm going to keep trying to get the dot.com, but do you think it's such a huge disadvantage (because I will be selling e-books) to have the .net instead?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. Once the domain is yours you can access the e-mail however you wish to.
thanks Harry
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I was going to give exactly the same advice Domains aren't expensive, and you can just forward emails to wherever you like, so you don't need technical expertise.
Thanks avantman
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
I've actually got greggbell.net but I've been really hoping to get greggbell.com. I did hear from the owner once, but then, like I said, I got the failure notices. I don't know. I'm going to keep trying to get the dot.com, but do you think it's such a huge disadvantage (because I will be selling e-books) to have the .net instead?
It's probably worth trying a bit longer for the .com.

glavdner@netsoftengr.com seems to be the person you need. Alternatively, the current registration expires on 24 July 2013. If he's not answering emails, he might not be renewing registrations!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

glavdner@netsoftengr.com seems to be the person you need. Alternatively, the current registration expires on 24 July 2013. If he's not answering emails, he might not be renewing registrations!
But some domain reseller might have it on his watch list.

But, I don't think it's going to expire any time soon as http://www.gregbell.com/ is a car dealer.

However what could be done is to also use the middle have or initial.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:

Yeah, that's (it was actually glavender@netsoftengr.com) the one I got through to him (and the guy is the other Gregg Bell's rep) the first time. And it's the official contact email for the entire company website so you think it would go through, but I keep getting the failure notices. Anyway, the other stuff you gave me is great. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

But, I don't think it's going to expire any time soon as http://www.gregbell.com/ is a car dealer.

I don't know, JS. The glavender guy was brief but open. He just said he'd check with his client and get back to me. But that was two weeks ago already. I've got some new info. I might be able to reach him by though. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed.) Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

That's not the domain that the Gregg Bell here wants, which is greggbell.com (count the gs)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's not the domain that the Gregg Bell here wants, which is greggbell.com (count the gs)
OOPS!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Once you have your own domain, you can use gmail to host it. Their spam fighting is the best I have found. By far. I used to run my own mail severs but really it is a big headache and very little benefit. I sill have my own domain, my email address has not changed in over a decade, but gmail handles the mail for my domains.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/app...cts.html#gmail

Not free, but for me it was worth it. I have 2-factor auth set up with it, and etc. All with almost no work on my end.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote