Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Getting my T1 in a few hours - root it immediately?

Hey all,

I'll be holding a brand spankin' new PRS-T1 in my grubby hands tonight. After mucho reading on this forum and others, I am convinced that I want to root it with AMR and use the alternative homescreen.

So, as soon as I have the T1 I'm planning to:
1. fully charge it
2. make a comprehensive backup of the initial state (not sure how yet, will check again)
3. root it!

Is this a really bad idea? Should I register at the sony store first even if I doubt I will be using it, at least for the foreseeable future?

Any thoughts? Comments? Hit me!
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First thing to do is to charge the T1. Then make sure the firmware is fully updated. Those are the two most important things to do in that order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Play with it a little after it's charged and updated. Then root it! It's great.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I would wait to make sure the device is functioning correctly before doing something that might invalidate the warranty. Give it a couple of days.

On another note, I still haven't rooted my T1. Is there a dummies guide anywhere?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I followed the steps in the mobilread wiki. I used porcupan's simple root. and then later I put on morkl's modified home screen. It was fast, easy, and I have been very satisfied with the result. I've had the T1 since March and rooted it soon after I got it.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies guys (and gals?).

So yeah, I have my shiny new toy!

Been messing around with it and upgraded the firmware
Now I'm trying to figure out the calibre metadata plugboards.
This will take a while...

Meanwhile, back to my rooting question. One thing I want to be sure about:
should I authorize my reader before or after I root, or doesn't it matter?
Or should I absolutely NOT authorize it if I'm going to root it?
(the main reason I would do it is to borrow library books)

Neither the wiki, the directions on the-ebook-reader.com or the original rooting thread say a word about this issue.

I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, but I can be paranoid like that
Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
You could do in BEFORE or AFTER - quite successfully...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Can I ask WHY you want to root it ?
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Just be aware that Sony will consider that you have invalidated the warranty, my buddy rooted his T1.. a week later the power switch stopped working, it was an obvious hardware problem, but the Sony store just sneered and basically said "tough titty" now my buddy had done his best to restore the device but obviously not well enuff... so just be careful....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Can I ask WHY you want to root it ?
To add android apps. I have Coolreader on mine, which is fabulous for file organization.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
MCSmarties
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. The #1 reason I wanted to root it was to change the homescreen to something more useful.
After that, see booklover6 above!

After some going back and forth with rooting, restoring, rerooting (the Wiki is really a mess for this!) I have now successfully rooted mine.

Two questions from an android noob:

- I installed the Android Market by following these instructions (german, sorry) but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever I launch the "market" app, it remains stuck on "loading..." Could this be because of the Android Market -> Google Play switch?

- at the risk of sounding extremely stupid - do I need to keep the *.apk files where I put them even after installation?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
MCSmarties
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
To add android apps. I have Coolreader on mine, which is fabulous for file organization.
Care to explain a bit more? I can't find any in-depth description of Coolreader other than many comments that it's "great".
Can you do hierarchical collections with it?
How does it "interact" with Calibre (i.e. how do you send books to your T1 for use with Coolreader?)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well I am by no means an expert at any of this. I will just relate what I know. The root package I got came with ADW launcher, FBreader...can't recall what else (it's in the wiki). I added Tune-in-radio in case I want to listen via the headphones. I had Pandora on too. But I think I took it off. I also removed FBreader (oops...no idea how to put it back on). Oh it came with dropbox installed too. So anytime I want to add a book without hooking it up via USB, I can add it via drop box.

There are ways of exploring files, but the one I like and use is Coolreader. Yes you can do hierarchical collections, at least I do, however, I use Calibre and my computer file manager to create and set them up the way I want them. I don't know how to do it on the device.

Now that I have it it set up this way, with morkl's home screen, I have a 3 page home screen that looks very similar to the original Sony home screen. On the first page, I have a picture of the last book I opened. Under that, a row of the 3 books I opened before that. Below that on the left is a Books square. If I click on that, I go to a list which I have set to show in most recent order. Below the books is a box that shows my collections. Either of those features can be used to browse through my books, and to access the search function.

Almost every book I tap, will automatically open with Coolreader. From there I can tap menu, open file, and then browse my file system. Coolreader has a "recently read" file, which I love. Below that, I can go to my SD card, where I have 26 files A-Z with all my files by author sorted, and in some of the author files, I have series sub folders.

I haven't had any problems with the Sony, although today I did. For some reason it froze up. I restarted it via menu command. Then when I should have set it down to refresh, I didn't. (I was out of the house). When I got home I had to use the reset button! So glad it has one! IT is refreshing now, I am not going to touch it til it's done, this time! (Takes a long time b/c I have over 5000 books on the SD card)

And one more plus--you can tap to turn pages. I don't think you can do that on an un-rooted device.

One more thing, and I don't know if this is specific to Coolreader or not. But when I am browsing through my Coolreader files, the books that I have added via Calibre show their series name and series number under each title. That is invaluable!!!

Last edited by booklover6; 06-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
One more thing, and I don't know if this is specific to Coolreader or not. But when I am browsing through my Coolreader files, the books that I have added via Calibre show their series name and series number under each title. That is invaluable!!!
You don't need to root for that option. My (unrooted) T1 shows the same info. Jackie_w posted detailed instructions on how to set this up in Calibre.

I actually don't miss the folder organization I used to have on my Boox at all. The horizontal scroll bar on the T1 works faster than picking through pages of folders.

Quote:
Coolreader has a "recently read" file, which I love.
And you also don't need to root the T1 to sort your books by latest read.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Joette
Joette began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Post So much to learn!

I never realized all that Calibre can do! I'm going to study what I've found here, and see if I can follow the directions. I'm amazed at how much we can do to make our ereaders work the way we want them to.

Until then, I'll just have to keep using the "create a catalog" option, that gives me all the authors in order, with their books, the series, the publish date, etc., and load the catalog into my Sony. That way I can look-up my "next book in series" as I finish one, and am ready to go to the next.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rooting, rupor, sony, warranty