Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Color eInk?

The new Sony T1 is so light, I'm thinking of replacing my old PRS-300 with it. Unless, of course, there's finally a color eInk device on the horizon...

There isn't, right? (I mean, apart from the Jetbook Color which is only going to be available for teachers.) I'm not going to lay down my hard-earned cash only to see a color eInk display in Waterstones a month later, right?

(and no, an LCD wouldn't be suitable for me. I need to be able to read in the constantly-changing light of a train. I've tried them and the glare is intolerable).

So... promise me there are no color eInk devices scheduled between now and March 2012. Promise me...
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Jetbook is said to be releasing a color eink device in December. It is suppose to be $350 and 9.7".
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
Jetbook is said to be releasing a color eink device in December. It is suppose to be $350 and 9.7".
In the US (I'm based in Ireland. We have roughly the same release schedule as the UK). And only for teachers.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
Low resolution and dull colors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Hatgirl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Low resolution and dull colors.
I think of it more as comics returning to their 4-color roots
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hF09r6XaLR...vel+comics.gif
Old 09-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
I think of it more as comics returning to their 4-color roots
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hF09r6XaLR...vel+comics.gif
I think of it as not really ready yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
The new Sony T1 is so light, I'm thinking of replacing my old PRS-300 with it. Unless, of course, there's finally a color eInk device on the horizon...
[...]
So... promise me there are no color eInk devices scheduled between now and March 2012. Promise me...
It's faintly possible that Qualcomm's Mirasol display might go into mass production and appear in an ebook reader before then. But I don't really expect that until later in 2012 or even in 2013.

And then there's Liquavista, which also looks like a very interesting display technology.

So I can't promise that there won't be a good colour eInk-like display in an ereader by March 2012. But I think it unlikely.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hands on with the current color eink at IFA from slashgear. also a mention of two devices "soon" and more in the pipe

http://www.slashgear.com/e-ink-hands-on-video-02176505/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
hands on with the current color eink at IFA from slashgear. also a mention of two devices "soon" and more in the pipe

The Triton colour eInk looked better than I expected. It's a shame we don't have a picture with both the triton and a pearl display, so we could compare white levels.

A 160dpi colour eInk display requires a 320dpi greyscale display. A 300dpi colour eInk display requires a 600dpi greyscale display.

I'd be quite interested in a 600dpi greyscale display! (But more interested in one without a glass substrate.)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Hatgirl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

Aargh! "soon"! It's that sort of comment from the manufacturers that makes me dither

OK, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the T1. It's so amazingly light...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Triton colour eInk looked better than I expected.
Here's another video of the Triton display.

http://armdevices.net/2011/09/02/lat...k-at-ifa-2011/

In the longer view is still looks a lot better than I expected. The black/white contrast seems really rather good.

They also gave figures for eInk eReader screen shipments: Last year 10 million. They expect 25-30 million in the coming year.