Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
How does the 5" model compare, overall size-wise, with a PDA?
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
Call me paranoid, but so far we have:

- some working 5" readers
- semi-working 6" reader

...and a word of marketing people that it will get better.

So far, vapourwave. It doesn't sound like they're going to start selling them soon. I'm not holding my breath. (Actually, I stopped holding my breath as soon as I heard they use Windows, but I digress ... )
You're paranoid. I said before that they had told me they were only bringing the 5" because the others didn't work. They have always been forthcoming about the status of their readers. I don't think this qualifies as vaporware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
How does the 5" model compare, overall size-wise, with a PDA?
Well, according to the web site, the measurements are 7.5”(H) x 4.75”(W) x 0.35”(D). My Tapwave, which many already consider too big for a PDA, is 5.6" x 3.1" x 0.55", smaller but not as thin. For comparison, the Palm TX is 3.08" W x 4.76" H x .61" D.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Well, according to the web site, the measurements are 7.5”(H) x 4.75”(W) x 0.35”(D). My Tapwave, which many already consider too big for a PDA, is 5.6" x 3.1" x 0.55", smaller but not as thin. For comparison, the Palm TX is 3.08" W x 4.76" H x .61" D.

Jack
Don't trust the measurements for the 5" model since they show them as the same as the 6" model (which are correct). The 5" model is smaller than the measurements they quote.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Nate;

Thanks for taking the time to snap these pics and give us more info from someone who doesn't work for the company.

I'm pulling for them to be able to bring these to market at the prices they've alluded to and really hope to be able to walk into my local Target to try one out and take it home.

Cheaper e-readers for the world!
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
Someone in the other thread mentioned that the design of the 5" model in particular leaves something to be desired.

I'm not sure about that. It looks relatively uncluttered and, unlike the Kindle, the buttons seem to be in a reasonable place.

I bet we'll hear complaints about one-handed reading...turning pages and all. You know, for all those that seem to require a device that will allow you to read easily while you're driving or juggling chainsaws.
Perhaps I am not seeing something that is there, but I do have a complaint about the button placement for page turning. I am simply unable to use my left thumb for page turning, and the 5 inch model does seem biased for left hand page turning.

All the other eReading hardware I have used has been configurable to right handed page turning. Actually, the eBookwise 1150 has the best design, in that the screen and button configuration is able to be completely reversed 180 degrees. But the Sony Readers do have easily used right and left page turning ability.

Thanks for the Astak update Nate!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. View Post
Don't trust the measurements for the 5" model since they show them as the same as the 6" model (which are correct). The 5" model is smaller than the measurements they quote.

Thanks for the correction!

So... who has the time/skills to take the photos, the known measurements of the 6" unit, adjust for perspective, and extrapolate the correct measurements for the 5" unit?

This would be a special challenge since the 5" and 6" units are never in the same picture! I suppose, knowing that the screen is 5", you could ratio out from there... Owww, headache.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 05-15-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Perhaps I am not seeing something that is there, but I do have a complaint about the button placement for page turning. I am simply unable to use my left thumb for page turning, and the 5 inch model does seem biased for left hand page turning.
This is an assumption, but I expect that you can use the Left/Right arrow buttons on the 4 way button to turn pages also, just as you can on the Jetbook which has a very similar button layout.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and indeed on the Gen3 too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #25
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
I was really looking forward to read some details on a working model but by the sounds of it they are not nearly ready to mass produce these. I do hope that they take the time necessary to address all the software bugs before they decide to roll out some units still in 'beta' to the general public.

As for the price of the units I am confident that they can hit their targets. If you look at other handheld technology and what it offers for the price, a 9.7" eBook for $350 sounds reasonable. Currently a top PDA like the iPaq 210 can be purchased for under $350 and it has significantly more features than an eBook reader does. By mass producing devices for giant retail chains like Wal-Mart this should bring down the price of eInk to something more reasonable.

If Astak delivers on their promises then they're likely to cause a snowball effect and every other manufacturer will follow suit. The great thing about this is that we, the readers, are clear winners.

Cheaper devices, more selection choices, more features? Bring it on!
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #26
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is an assumption, but I expect that you can use the Left/Right arrow buttons on the 4 way button to turn pages also, just as you can on the Jetbook which has a very similar button layout.

BOb
That would certainly fit my needs.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. View Post
I think the metric measurements are correct. The imperial measurements were the same for all three units last time I looked.
Metric? Who reads metric!?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Metric? Who reads metric!?
Basically everyone but us, er US.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Which one is the ETI model?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
None of them. The ETI model is over in the other thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak, idpf