Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
raptir
raptir began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza/Kindle on iPod Touch
Adding chapter breaks by number of pages/lines

I have a few PDFs that I want to convert to ePub to use with Stanza on the iPod Touch. Unfortunately, the chapter divisions are simply in the format of:

(CHAPTER NUMBER):

(CHAPTER NAME)

In the same font and size as the rest of the text. As a result, when it is converted to HTML, the chapter titles take on the same attributes as the rest of the text, and none of the filters I can think to set up will catch these chapter titles. Stanza seems to need chapter breaks, as any file that has long chapters will take a very long time to load every time. Is there any way to add a chapter break every certain number of pages or lines? Or any other way to arbitrarily break down this document so that it will load faster in Stanza? Thanks.
raptir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
change your output profile to sony reader. calibre will automatically split the epub file into smaller chunks internally
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
raptir

That unfortunately did not seem to change anything. There's still no TOC, and opening the book in Stanza still causes it to freeze while trying to load.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in that case its not because of the size.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
raptir

Well, if I cut the book down it loads fine.

EDIT: And by that I mean cut just a chunk of converted book using Signet and transfer that to my iPod. Also, when I use Stanza Desktop to convert it, which does automatically throw some chapter breaks in, it loads fine. The only problem with Stanza Desktop is that it completely mangles the formatting.
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can manually force chapter breaks using the various chapter/page break detection options.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
raptir

Well, I found a decent work around. After converting it to an ePub, I extracted it and edited the HTML. I changed the chapter titles to class='chapter', and then converted the ePub again. That split it up, obviously.

I did have one other question, and I don't want to clutter up the forum with a new thread. When converting the PDF, it added in paragraph breaks at every point where there was a new line on the PDF, even if it was just due to word wrap. Is there a way to correct that without editing it manually?

EDIT: I figured out the "line unwrapping" for PDFs. I chose 0.5, since it said it was the default, and that seemed to work. Will that work in most cases? What would a value of 1 do?

Last edited by raptir; 10-19-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
raptir

Is there a way, using the built-in options, to add a chapter break every 20 pages or something? I've found a few books that I want to convert that do not lend themselves well to editing the class to chapter.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not by 20 lines but certainly by every 2nd paragraph or whatever. Just use the page break XPath expression. You will have toread up on and understand XPath however.