Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The Importance of Being Ernest (or even someone else)

I've been thinking about the opportunites that have arisen for the indie author in our current turbulent and exciting times, and I wondered what are your takes on the pseudonym in fiction?

I use them myself. My own name I keep for experimental stuff, the kind of fiction I know wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of being published. There i keep my original name and that writing becomes a playground of sorts, where I can let go completely.

But I've written in the past under various psedonyms when I thought the work might be more commercially viable, or if I just want to take a break from myself. In the past the pseudonym was almost a given, especially in the pulp days where practioners such as Max Brand would regularly publish under dozens of different names. Even the mighty Stephen King has done this with his Richard Bachman alter ego.

So my question to you, fellow writers, and readers, what do you think of the pseudonym? Does it put you off the fiction if you know that one author has produced many different works under different names? Do the writer's out there see any benefit to the pseudonym, do you use one yourself or are you considering using one? Do you write in multiple genres (as I have) and use a different pseudonym for each?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I am considering using a NDP from now on just because I think having amy real name attached to anything fictional could be rather - bad - for my full time job.

I have no problems with them personally, Up until like two years ago, I still thought Robert Jordan was born Robert Jordan.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I am considering using a NDP from now on just because I think having amy real name attached to anything fictional could be rather - bad - for my full time job.

I have no problems with them personally, Up until like two years ago, I still thought Robert Jordan was born Robert Jordan.
I learn something new every day, I had no idea about Robert Jordan before.

At the moment I'm thinking of playing the ressurrection trick on the 10 or so complete novels I have, and using pen-names on them. Haven't yet figured out how I'll do it, but it should be a fun experiment.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Haven't really thought much about this subject before, but as a reader I thought of Ruth Rendell also writing under the pseudonym of Barbara Vine. Never bothered me, and I knwo 'Barbara Vine's' writing is a bit different from 'Ruth Rendell's' so it makes sense.

A different pseudonym would certainly not put me off, but it might hinder me in recognising the author. If you really feel it's best to seperate between two styles, why not?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It would make sense from a marketing perspective if Bob writes only cyber punk splatterhouse type books and then suddenly says hey now i want to write romance

Bob's readership would only pick up his latest work and then the nerd rage would begin. Now if Bob says his name is now Mary, no one would know any different - readerships can remain their loyal fan base without worrying about author A jumping the shark or becoming author B or selling out or any of the other fun and exciting things kids on the internet think of these days =)

Moe - I say go for it if you want to try and sell something, why not - i mean whats the worst thing that could happen

Last edited by jaxx6166; 03-08-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Fingers / Brain / Netbook are not getting along..blame DST!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
It would make sense from a marketing perspective if Bob writes only cyber punk splatterhouse type books and then suddenly says hey now i want to write romance

Bob's readership would only pick up his latest work and then the nerd rage would begin. Now if Bob says his name is now Mary, no one would know any different - readerships can remain their loyal fan base without worrying about author A jumping the shark or becoming author B or selling out or any of the other fun and exciting things kids on the internet think of these days =)

Moe - I say go for it if you want to try and sell something, why not - i mean whats the worst thing that could happen
Extra points for 'Nerd Rage' But I think you're right. Looking over the stuff I have, and the stuff I write now, it's an odd clash. Whereas I write more lyrically, and probably less marketable now, it's a lot more fun, and truth be told, easier. The other stuff is crammed full of what I thought at the time - you know the usual stuff about what sells and the like. Most of it was aimed at markets and agents I thought it would sell to.

I'm going to mull it over some more before I make any final decisions on where to go with all this stuff.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-08-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Appaling grammar :)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have no problems with pseudonyms, especially if they help an author experiment beyond the confines of expectations from previous works. Whether this is transparent or not...no, it still doesn't bother me, unless I am a significant fan of a writer and would like to know, simply from a desire for completeness on my "read everything by..." list. I like how Iain Banks very slightly alters his name on his books, dependant on content, as it helps with expectations (and I like his work both without and without the "M.").

For me, I'd possibly use a pseudonym if only to avoid the possibility of being confused for either a well-known bookie/sports handicapper, or someone responsible for a few appalling movies, in the latter case, likely to the of annoyance of both his fans and detractors.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
pseudonyms are fine, they should be able to allow an author to experiment with different genre, much as you seem to want. as long as the main name is retained perhaps for the 'best' work and as long as there is an aka back-association it wouldn't overly worry me as a reader....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I considered a few pseudonyms when I started writing... after all, Steve Jordan is almost as common as John Smith! Someday, maybe I'll rebrand the novels under a more unique name, to separate me a bit more from the crowd. (If I think of a name I want to use, that is.)

Some change their name to protect themselves from those who would denigrate them through their work, subject matter, or style. However, I haven't written anything that I wouldn't want associated to me, so there's been no reason for me to do so. Now, when I start writing my gay bondage nazi druglord series...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I considered ... a more unique name, to separate me a bit more from the crowd. (If I think of a name I want to use, that is.)
How's about Chesty L'Amour?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
How's about Chesty L'Amour?
>BRAAP!< Oh, sorry! Try again!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry about hijacking the thread with a stripper pseudonym for Steve.

Honestly, between work, reading, and MRing (not necessarily in that order), I don't have time for the (as the kids nowadays call it) "fanboy" stuff. Who on earth cares enough to keep up with a favorite author's assorted miscellaneous names? Just pick an NDP and stick with it.

Of course, if you bomb badly enough, you may be justified in choosing a new name in order to "make a fresh start." Just don't bomb and you will be fine.

Last edited by DixieGal; 03-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

In order to make amends for hijacking a serious thread, I have a serious recommendation for you all. Dragon Naturally Speaking. It is speech recognition software. Tim is using it to write his book, and it is very good. There is a bit of "training" of the software to get started so that it can understand your jargon and accent.

Saves wear and tear on the keyboard.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
In order to make amends for hijacking a serious thread, I have a serious recommendation for you all. Dragon Naturally Speaking. It is speech recognition software. Tim is using it to write his book, and it is very good. There is a bit of "training" of the software to get started so that it can understand your jargon and accent.

Saves wear and tear on the keyboard.

Make sure you only use it in a quiet environment, though - people whispering in the background, and telephone's ringing do play havoc with results ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

If there are any Mac users out there, Dragon have a product called Dictate: http://WWW.NUANCE.COM/naturallyspeak.../macintosh.asp Not tried it out, but the idea of speaking stories is interesting me a whole lot.