Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
Reboots?

My HDX has now rebooted twice while reading a book. I have looked at the OS and it has not changed from the original load date (July). Is any one else experiencing what seems to be random reboots?
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

It could be apps automatically updating in the background. I'm not sure about the Fire, but on my Nexus 7.2 I turned off auto updating of apps in the Google Play Store because occasionally an app update would result in a reboot. The Fire of course doesn't have the Google Play Store but it does have the Amazon Store, so check the settings on auto updates for apps.

The problem might also be an app or widget that runs in the background.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Lyor
Enthusiast

Thanks. When I get home I will see about turning off autoupdate. This is my first Kindle of any sort so I am not sure what can and cannot be done.

Last edited by Lyor; 11-04-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 11-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

That is just one of many things that can cause reboots. Android does a lousy job of policing what apps can do in background and foreground, so occasionally an app will do something the hardware does not like and then you get a reboot. So it could be a rogue app as well. Or even a hardware issue.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...so occasionally an app will do something the hardware does not like and then you get a reboot.
This is very unlikely. Apps do not have access to the hardware, they are sandboxed and access the hardware via the framework's APIs. Reboots are caused most likely by bugs in the framework or in the drivers, an app having a bug will crash the app, but unless it is a system app, it can't bring the system down.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
This is very unlikely. Apps do not have access to the hardware, they are sandboxed and access the hardware via the framework's APIs. Reboots are caused most likely by bugs in the framework or in the drivers, an app having a bug will crash the app, but unless it is a system app, it can't bring the system down.
I've had apps cause a reboot on my Nexus 7.2. Perhaps in a "perfect world" in another universe the sandbox works, but it doesn't seem to be 100% in this universe.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Lyor
Enthusiast

OK.. I have turned off application auto updating. Additionally, the system updated to version 13.3.0.5. Now I can only wait and see what happens.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyor View Post
OK.. I have turned off application auto updating. Additionally, the system updated to version 13.3.0.5. Now I can only wait and see what happens.
It sounds like it was a firmware upgrade but if it happens again after the upgrade then call support. Random reboots are a bad sign.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Update caused the reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyor View Post
The update definitely caused the reboot. My HDX updated about 8 hours ago and took about one hour of activity to download, install and then reboot. I know it rebooted since I always leave it open on GSam and have the Carousel hidden. When I just opened it, the Carousel was on the main screen and not hidden.

My GSam Battery Monitor showed the activity since an extra hour was added to Active Battery Usage versus Screen Battery Usage. If you go to Settings / Device / System Update, you will see the exact time and date of the system update.

Be sure to leave Location Based Services OFF. If you had it on, it would have drained substantial current while the firmware was updating.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote