Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #31
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I ordered the Touch 3G SO and purple lighted cover.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #32
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm torn between the K3 Keyboard and the new non-touch Kindle. On the one hand, I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the keyboard on my K1. On the other hand I like the darker grey color of the K3.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #33
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
That $99 Kindle Touch is really attractive, nice price and look. Maybe when my Kindle 3 dies, I'll get that one. I don't have a use for the Fire right now since I'm rarely without my laptop.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
...I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the keyboard on my K1....
I can count on one hand how many times I've used the keyboard on the K3—if we've only counting since this morning, that is.

That number would be three, or perhaps four times.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #35
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I just don't take notes or annotate. I read a ton of fiction and there is nothing I need to "write down."
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #36
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I ordered the 3G with Special Offers. My K2 has been getting pretty non-responsive lately, losing its charge quickly, and I rarely use the keyboard, so I've been waiting for this. I like having 3G so the only real decision was special offers or not, hopefully I don't find them too annoying.

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-28-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #37
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I haven't decided whether I'm going to buy a new Kindle yet. The choices are a bit overwhelming at the moment.

For others who may be interested, here are prices and links to all the Kindle models:

NO KEYBOARD BUTTONS:

$79 – NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$109 – NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$99 – Kindle Touch wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$139 – Kindle Touch wi-fi only with no ads – 6" display/e-ink

$149 – Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$189 – Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$199 – Kindle Fire – wi-fi only – full color 7" multi-touch display

KINDLE WITH KEYBOARD:

$99 – K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$139 – K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$139 – K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$189 – K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$379 – Kindle DX free 3G only – 9.7" e-ink display
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #38
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
I ordered the $79 Kindle SO.. It will be replacing my heavily used K2 3g.

I debated about getting the touch... but in the end i didn't want to have to worry about touching the screen. I want something i can 'handle' without loosing my place (watching the videos online.. a single tap will change the page)

Something i haven't seen anybody mention..

1) The 'non-touch' kindle does not have 'Read-to-Me' (text-to-speech)
2) The 'non-touch' kindle has 1/2 the battery life listed as the touch (1 month vs 2)

These points don't bother me... since i never used text-to-speech on my K2 and after 3 years im lucky to get 2 weeks of battery
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #39
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
some questions regarding the new kindle touch

I believe many of us use ereader for academic reading. Here are some questions important to us:

1. does the device have pinch-to-zoom function?

2. does it allow for file storage/transfer via SD card?

3. does it support folder/directory structure?

4.how is the pdf annotation?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
I believe many of us use ereader for academic reading. Here are some questions important to us:

1. does the device have pinch-to-zoom function?

2. does it allow for file storage/transfer via SD card?

3. does it support folder/directory structure?

4.how is the pdf annotation?

1). No
2). No
3). No
4). Touchscreen keyboard on a 6" display.. so its painfull.

all this leads to... Buy an iPad or other full function tablet.

The kindle ($79) and kindle touch ($99) are more like a 'paperback book' then a 'text book'.
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
worsel60
worsel60 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've ordered the Fire. Delivery estimate 11/17. I haven't convinced myself I need to replace my K2 with a Touch yet.
worsel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #42
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've gone from Kindle 1 to 2 and now I have the 3. I'm going to wait next year and see what else is in the electronic pipes. I'm happy with my K3 for now and have an iPad for color viewing.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #43
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
I bought a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Touch 3g. Fire due on the 16th and the Touch due on the 22nd.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #44
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
DreamWriter! Thank you for the price & configuration breakdown! A separate, printable sticky would be great!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I ordered the Touch 3G, but then changed my mind and got the basic non-KSO Kindle, once I saw it still has the nice side page-turn levers, as on the K3. It's also a little lighter, and without 3G I'll be less tempted to use the web browser. The rounded edges mean it will be more comfortable to rest in my palm over the K3. My only disappointment is they added gizmo features like X-ray but still have the same old limited font choices, whereas all the competition offer multiple font options now.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, android, fire, kindle