Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Battery Drain

I am having a weird battery drain issue. Not real sure when it started but it seems to drain without me using it (I know crazy but I have been reading a couple of DTB recently) but when I take a look at it, it has the battery warning up.

I checked the indexing and no problem there. Only things I can think of is:

1 - could a book cause a problem like this? I have downloaded a couple of converted books.

2 - there was an update a while back and maybe? Any way to check that?

Any other ideas out there.

Appreciate the help.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
I am having a weird battery drain issue. Not real sure when it started but it seems to drain without me using it (I know crazy but I have been reading a couple of DTB recently) but when I take a look at it, it has the battery warning up.

I checked the indexing and no problem there. Only things I can think of is:

1 - could a book cause a problem like this? I have downloaded a couple of converted books.

2 - there was an update a while back and maybe? Any way to check that?

Any other ideas out there.

Appreciate the help.
you seem to have focused on the most logical, that some book is stuck. other than that, checking to make sure you are completely charged up, making sure your cord is in good shape, perhaps doing a hard restart. I'm sure some of the other more technically inclined will have a brilliant answer. good luck!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You've checked the indexing which is very often the culprit.

I've certainly had a couple of books which were corrupt and would freeze up my kindle - the only solution is to delete books causing an issue.

Could you perhaps delete the books you suspect might be causing an issue and see if that makes a difference.

Updates to your kindle by Amazon cannot be removed - at least not at the user end as far as I know.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I had similar. A poster recommended deleting everything in the index folder (connect via usb & set your file options to view hidden files for this). Then leave it plugged in while it re-indexes everything. Worked for me - I was getting 5 days max, my last charge lasted 2 weeks and would have gone longer if I hadn't used it for 10 hours that day.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Amazon's non-lighted (and for a very few people, the lighted) cases for the Kindle 3 also can cause this behavior.

If you're using one of them, that's probably the cause. Amazon did pull them and will refund your money even if you're past the 30 day window, as it's a known issue, and one that often takes awhile to start happening.

(Presumably it's due to the paint on the hooks being or wearing thin, causing a short in the Kindle.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Should have mentioned that I have the K2i.

Thanks for the tips and I will give them a try. If anyone else has an idea that would be great as well.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Ah, well, then...

Hmm... I strongly doubt this is it, but if you try the above suggestions and determine it's none of those things, and if you're a somewhat heavy user, then I'd start to wonder if the battery could possibly be at the end of its life.

K2is are only around 18months old, iirc, but age doesn't matter so much as how many cycles it's spent. Temp extremes, particularly heat, will also shorten its life.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote