Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Anyone know how to write a widget?

Like many I use aiplane mode to manually control wifi, and thus have an airplane widget on my homescreen. I was thinking it would be nice to have a widget that looked like a wifi button but controlled airplane mode. So green would be wifi on (airplane off) and red would be wifi off (airplane on). I doubt such a thing exists, could someone here make it happen?
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

? Why would you want an airplane mode widget that looks like a wifi widget ?
There is a wifi widget and there is an airplane widget and the two widgets do different things.

?

However, it should be easy. Google around for apktool and signapk, then replace the image inside of the widget (airplane with wifi), build it up, sign it, install it.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
The regular power widget lets you turn wifi on and off. What else do you need? It isn't quite airplane mode but wifi is off.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
NDRisk

Using the wifi toggle widget creates issues with the wifi driver apparently, and half the time wifi won't turn back on when using said widget. Using airplane mode alleviates this issue, why I don't know, but it seems as though others have found the same. I think it the wifi toggle issue is related the the issue with the wifi not turning on after sleep.

Honestly I'm fine with setting wifi to always stay on, and then manually turning it on and off when I want it (via airplane mode). It just confuses me slightly because it's a sort of double negative, airplane mode is off, so then that means wifi is on.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Oh! Although I don't understand much of the second paragraph the Always On + Wifi Toggle solution sounds promising!
But leave the bugs to the Kobo guys :-) This stuff should just work.
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
NDRisk

What I was trying to say was that by setting the Kobo to keep wifi on even when you put it to sleep, and using airplane mode to turn the wifi on and off, there are no issues. Doing the same thing, but using the wifi on/off toggle, creates issues where the wifi won't turn back on after it has been turned off. Also, the default setting of having the Kobo turn the wifi off when put to sleep creates the same issue, where many times wifi won't turn back on.

So that's why I think it would be cool to have an airplane toggle widget that looks like a wifi toggle widget.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
You may want to try Beautiful Widgets from GetJar, which is free for you and has an airplane toggle built in.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
NDRisk

That is what I'm using... but still that misses the point I was trying to make.

It isn't a big deal really, I would just like a wifi toggle system that worked by using the airplane mode, but with an interface or button that looked like wifi. It's really hard to explain, haha!

I'll just live with the airplane toggle button.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
My question is, what's the difference if it has a plane image or wifi image? It does the same job.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
hieronymos
Groupie

I find the nicest thing about airplane mode is that I can access it from the power button. No need to go out of the application, tap widget, find application again.