Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Just ordered an Opus...any important things I need to know?

It's a white Opus from newegg. Besides charging it, I presume the first thing I need to look at/update is the firmware? I did buy it as a secondary reader to my K1 for epub formats, so I don't plan to change it to the mobi firmware (if you can even still do that).

Besides the firmware is there any thing I really need to take care of?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
It's a white Opus from newegg. Besides charging it, I presume the first thing I need to look at/update is the firmware? I did buy it as a secondary reader to my K1 for epub formats, so I don't plan to change it to the mobi firmware (if you can even still do that).

Besides the firmware is there any thing I really need to take care of?
Not that I can think of. My Opus has pretty much been a trouble-free, maintenance-free device.

The only thing that I've done with it is keep it up to date on the firmware and load it up with eBooks.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! Hope mine will be trouble-free as well!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
It will make your K1 feel huge and heavy
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

Probably! But we'll see how I adjust to a smaller screen.

How is your comparison of the nook vs. opus going?
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
Quote:
I had a Gen3 before my opus and I thought the smaller screen would be annoying. Well my conclusion from several months of intense use is that it is not. The size and lightweight of the Opus makes it perfect to carry around.

In addition, the new firmware brings the 1 second mode that allows you to switch on and off without the bother of a boot each time.

By the way, unless it is a used model not updated by its previous owner, the Opus you will receive will most probably be up to date with 2.1 firmware.

And I agree with rlauzon, it is maintenance free.

Have fun with it
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:

How is your comparison of the nook vs. opus going?
I love them both for different reasons

The Opus is really a fantastic portable reader with lots of memory for those who have large collections. It's instant-on, battery life and ability to organize beat the Nook hands-down. If it was $100 or less, I think Bookeen would sell a lot of them. I got mine used, but I would never have paid full price.

The Nook has new, spiffy features like connectivity and color covers, for a fair price. But its battery life and inability to organize ANY of your collection is a major weakness for anyone who has a large library or likes to re-read (like me). And I personally think it weighs too much for in-hand reading - I only use it with an easel case.

Unfortunately for the Opus, I already have a portable reader - my iPhone. Depending on how B&N handles my button cracking issue, I'll probably sell the Opus and keep the Nook (relying on Calibre to store my collection) until someone comes out with a device with both their strengths.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Opus works great. The only time I really had problems was when it first came out it was locking up. With the newer firmware I've had zero problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but I'm a little concerned because the UPS tracking system does not show it moving since an arrival at a hub yesterday at 1:30p.m. I would normally have expected to see it depart that hub to move closer to me by now! So, we'll see.

It sounds like a great reader so I'm glad I grabbed it as it appears Newegg was just trying to ditch their remaining stock (you can no longer search for it on their site!).
Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru

Got it! And as expected, I think it is definitely a case of NewEgg ditching stock. It was in what I understand to be the "old" packaging...completely opaque box and you could not see the device. And the firmware...at least what I assume is the firmware...version (Boo Reader?) is 1.9.

So I have it plugged in and charging right now and I will look into how to do the firmware flash.

I did find it odd that there were 168 books on it...not odd that there were some preloaded, but odd that 2 of them that I saw were a couple of the Harlequin freebies that have been free since some time last year...one by Maureen Child and one by Michele Hauf? Also odd because the box said "75" free books.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Got it! And as expected, I think it is definitely a case of NewEgg ditching stock. It was in what I understand to be the "old" packaging...completely opaque box and you could not see the device. And the firmware...at least what I assume is the firmware...version (Boo Reader?) is 1.9.

So I have it plugged in and charging right now and I will look into how to do the firmware flash.

I did find it odd that there were 168 books on it...not odd that there were some preloaded, but odd that 2 of them that I saw were a couple of the Harlequin freebies that have been free since some time last year...one by Maureen Child and one by Michele Hauf? Also odd because the box said "75" free books.
I've got an "original" and mine had the Harlequin books on it as well.

1.9 is the very first firmware so I'd definitely update it (2.1 for ePub or 1.6 for Mobi). You'll need a micro SD to flash it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Charge the Opus often and never let the battery go dead. The battery meter is unrealiable at first because it takes the battery some charging cycles to be calibrated. The meter may still read 20% or even 80% with an empty battery. See the datails in this thread, where I found about this.

I am telling my experience as a new Opus user in the BOOKEEN page on Facebook.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
texasnightowl
Guru

OK, we're back to charging but I did stop it long enough to get the firmware flashed...so I'm now at 2.1 build 1198

The hardest part was figuring out to hold down the center button after powering on to access the flash. I could have missed it but didn't see any instructions on how to flash on the Bookeen website. Finally found another thread here where it was mentioned.

Last edited by texasnightowl; 08-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #14
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
http://www.bookeen.com/uploads/files...w_16_21_en.pdf

On the download page for the firmware, you have all the explanations including a downloadable version in pdf. You probably have missed it as you need to scroll down to see it
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru

You nailed it. I skipped right over that pdf link which didn't look obvious that it was instructions and then I didn't scroll all the way to the bottom either...guess I thought the instructions would have been above the "new features". Oops!