Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
ADE Download?

The official ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) webpage is down and it hasn't come back online all day long (since 6 am this morning). I reformatted my PC over the weekend and forgot to backup a copy of the ADE program. I have some new books I want to upload but now can't since I can't get ahold of the ADE program to unlock the books and re-authorize my PP.

Anyone know of another place that offers the ADE Windows 7 download?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
The official page is up for me. Maybe you want to try again? Maybe it's another problem?
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just my luck. The page comes back up as I'm about to give up on it for the night. Thanks animedude01 for pointing out it's back up!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
You can download off-line installation program from ADE also. (for next time)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
You can download off-line installation program from ADE also. (for next time)
Oh? You happen to know the path to it? I can't seem to find the standalone installer.
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Oh? You happen to know the path to it? I can't seem to find the standalone installer.
It's in the support section of the site.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403051.html
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is also the way to get ADE if you run Linux. (You do a Wine install of ADE. It would not discover my PEz so I had to install ADE on Windows to authorize my PEz)

ADE is a PIG for CPU cycles, it severely bogged my 3.2G P4 while it cataloged all the books on my PEz (slower than Calibre and much more piggy in resources).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question Question about ADE

I have yet to install ADE on my Windows Vista. I am resisting because when ADE first came out (~Adobe 7) I installed it and had a lot of problems.

I DON'T want to install ADE, so: what would happen if I downloaded a DRM epub without ADE installed? Would it not download because I haven't authorized ADE? Would I get the file (I understand I couldn't open it) OK, and would be able to perform "magic" on it (i.e., de-drm it)

Is there any other software that reads DRM'd epubs?

Thanks,
AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I have yet to install ADE on my Windows Vista. I am resisting because when ADE first came out (~Adobe 7) I installed it and had a lot of problems.

I DON'T want to install ADE, so: what would happen if I downloaded a DRM epub without ADE installed? Would it not download because I haven't authorized ADE? Would I get the file (I understand I couldn't open it) OK, and would be able to perform "magic" on it (i.e., de-drm it)

Is there any other software that reads DRM'd epubs?

Thanks,
AJ
Don't blame you

You speak as if DRM was a single entity. It is NOT.

It is like tires: There are all kinds from Roller skate to huge earth-mover versions. They are not interchangeable.

If you want to read an Adobe Digital editions e-book, you need to install it just to authorize your PEz (just did mine this weekend).
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

You mean there is actually another DRM scheme currently being used with EPUB?

ADEPT is the primary reason that EPUB is my last choice as a format for a DRMed book purchase.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
is ADE something that will add a Process running on my Windows PC?
-and is it included somewhere in the PP package cuz I didn't get a CD to install anything?

ps- is ADE needed to be installed on the PC ONLY for DRM epub and pdf ?
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Don't blame you

It is like tires: There are all kinds from Roller skate to huge earth-mover versions. They are not interchangeable.

If you want to read an Adobe Digital editions e-book, you need to install it just to authorize your PEz (just did mine this weekend).
DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is, if I understand it, an encryption of the file. Epub is a format for ebooks. I imagine (though since I don't have ADE, it is supposition) that ADE will read non-DRM'd epubs. I'm assuming that ADE also reads DRM and non-DRM pdb. (Is there any other ebook format they read?)

(Egad, I'm talking in alphabet soup....)

I also understand that Barnes and Noble are working with Adobe to using their own proprietary DRM scheme for epubs.

One of my questions was is their any other software that will read DRM'd epubs besides ADE?

The other question was can I buy/download a DRM'd epub WITHOUT having ADE installed and authorized on my PC?

Incase you didn't catch my aim, I don't like being forced to use a particular program just to read purchased books. I dare say a great percentage of the MR members feel the same.

Meanwhile, as opposed to buying books, I'm scanning all my favorite books that I've had for 30-40 years. Books out of print but not public domain. It's basically the only way I can get them on my PP. This is approximately 80% of the reason I bought a PP.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
One of my questions was is their any other software that will read DRM'd epubs besides ADE?
Not at the present time that I know of. Adobe seems to have a stranglehold on the DRM EPUB business. In fact, the ADEPT DRM method seems to be designed to ensure that stranglehold.

Quote:
The other question was can I buy/download a DRM'd epub WITHOUT having ADE installed and authorized on my PC?
Not at this time. All you get from an eBook vendor is a "receipt" file that ADE will use for you to download the actual book.

Quote:
Incase you didn't catch my aim, I don't like being forced to use a particular program just to read purchased books. I dare say a great percentage of the MR members feel the same.
Agree with that sentiment 100%
It is like if you buy a Ford automobile you can only drive it on Ford roads.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is, if I understand it, an encryption of the file. Epub is a format for ebooks. I imagine (though since I don't have ADE, it is supposition) that ADE will read non-DRM'd epubs. I'm assuming that ADE also reads DRM and non-DRM pdb. (Is there any other ebook format they read?)

(Egad, I'm talking in alphabet soup....)

I also understand that Barnes and Noble are working with Adobe to using their own proprietary DRM scheme for epubs.

In case you didn't catch my aim, I don't like being forced to use a particular program just to read purchased books. I dare say a great percentage of the MR members feel the same.

Meanwhile, as opposed to buying books, I'm scanning all my favorite books that I've had for 30-40 years. Books out of print but not public domain. It's basically the only way I can get them on my PP. This is approximately 80% of the reason I bought a PP.

AJ
AFAIK the whole point of Adobe, is the Publisher pays them to use their exclusive DRM software. FUD plays a big part in the sales pitch. "Someone might rip you off if you do not encrypt with or product"

I don't know how to authorize your PEz without installing ADE.
Catch 22.

I suggest you do not buy books with DRM

The problem is that so many people roll over and DO buy DRM infested books that you voice is lost
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

The way the books are stored in most ebookstores, you need ADE installed in order to read the encrypted file which then lets you download the book.

Honestly, I still hate ADE since it locks up on me if it starts scanning my PP and then if I decided to download a new novel. But I'll stick with it since quite a few of my novels are in DRM'd ePUB/PDF format (and they cannot be had without the DRM).