Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Mike L01
Mike L01 doesn't litterMike L01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
data transfer not happening

I have just replaced my PRS-505 with a new PRS-T1. Usually use Calibre but am OK with sony reader software and digital editions is set-up OK.

When the usb cable is connected (tried in two seperate computer ports, 1 front port and one rear port, not via hub and also tried with a spare cable) the reader screen shows "USB connected." At this stage "My Computer" shows icons for three extra drives in my case G, H & I. Double clicking any one of these brings up a dialog screen asking me to insert a disk in G,H,I . If I then enable Data Transfer Mode through the reader the data transfer screen comes up on the reader but other than that absolutely nothing changes. I am using Windows XP SP3. I have tried resetting the reader and reformatting the memory via the reader format control, again no change. The usb cable through either port seems to charge the reader OK but the computer just will not recognise the reader.

I have also downloaded the latest firmware to my computer and tried to sent to the reader but I get a dialog screen asking me to enable data trasfer mode whether or not it is actually enabled on the reader. Existing firmware is 1.00.09270.

I am thinking about sending this back for replacement (a christmas gift from the wife) is there anything dumb I've missed?

Regards

Mike
Mike L01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Are you using the new or the old Sony Reader software on your computer? The old Sony Reader Library does not recognize the new T1's. You have to use the new Sony Reader for PC software. it has its own set of quirks that some people can work with & enjoy while others hate it for various reasons.

Be forewarned - if you use the new Reader for PC software it defaults to sync everything you own onto your new device.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Mike L01

Hi Shopaholic

I've tried it with both my old reader software and the new "reader for PC" software. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to get as far as any software on the computer. Similar problem with trying to upgrade to new firmware, the reader is just not communicating with the PC other than showing empty drives.

Regards

Mike
Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Edit- I see Mike already has Data Transfer mode enabled and that did not work.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
You probably already know you don't need ANY specific software on your PC (I never installed any) to transfer files to/from the PRS-T1. Before doing anything else, just try on another computer. Sometime, weird things occur with USB ports: bad chipset (inconsistent hardware compatibility), bad drivers, unexpected installed software incompatibility. I remember another complain about the PRS-T1 (forgot the thread) where the problem was insufficient current from the USB port (on a portable computer I believe). Also, some people complained about micro-USB cable incompatibility, did you used the cable that came with your PRS-T1?
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You cannot use the old Sony software with the T1 so don't. Open the new Reader for PC software. Let it open. It may ask you if you want to import your books from the other program or not. That's up to you. If you do, it'll take a while. If you want to do that then wait until it finishes before connecting your device to the computer.

Connect your device to your computer. On the device when prompted select Data Transfer Mode. (touch the device screen) It should only take seconds.

Then wait.

The software should pick it up. Don't go into explorer or anything like that yet. By the way, when you formatted the device you erased all the screensavers & audio files on it.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Mike L01

Thanks for the replies

Shopaholic. I've tried everything you suggested. Loaded and run the new Reader for PC software and imported all my old books, which took some time, then connected the T1 and enabled data transfer but again the software did not see it.

I've just reconnected my old PRS505 and that is also giving connection problems now with two different cables, I've tried the T1 with 3 cables. I think as seabee suggested I'll look into the USB issue. First I'll try to connect on my daughters new laptop.

Watch this space for more!

Mike
Old 12-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Where are you looking on the Reader for PC to 'see' your device? This is not like the old software. In the new software look at the tabs at the top. You'll see My Library, Store & Reader or Device or something like that.

I don't like using the software with my device because it tries to sync it everytime & removes everything I have on the T1 which infuriates me. So....I'm not doing that again!! LOL
Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Mike L01

Hi Shopaholic

On the tabs I have Library and Store only. The reader seems to be happy on my daughters laptop so it seems to be a USB issue. Looks like I'll have a busy day tomorrow

Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Mike, did you ever figure out the USB issue? It sounds to me that maybe XP SP3 isn't recognizing your device.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Mike L01

O.K. Problems solved. But what a weird solution.

The old PRS505 had a problem starting in Calibre but It seems using reader for PC had left a helper folder not shut down. Dissabling this in "Task Manager" solved that.

Now to the problem with the PRS T1.

Every time I connect the reader to the computer "Device Manager" throws up a new folder called "Storage Volumes" and assigns 3 Generic Volumes. This happens before data transfer is available to select. In "My computer" I see three removable discs G,H & I.

If I then go to "Device Manager and uninstall each of the three generic drives they immediately rescan and rename in "My Computer" as "I:Settings" and "G:Reader". From this point the reader works fine with both Sony Reader for PC and with Calibre.

If I then disconnect the reader I have to go through the whole process again.

If anyone knows a more elegant solution I would be very grateful.

Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Tried on an old XP PC, doesn't have to go to Device Manager and uninstall the generic drives for two of them to rename to READER and SETTING when accepting data transfer on the reader (the third being for the micro-sd card and I don't have one yet).
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I also use Windows XP SP3 with no connection problems at all. When I connect the T1 and press the 'Data Transfer Mode' button Windows Explorer automatically sees 3 drives:
READER (V: ) - int memory
Removable Disk (W: ) - microSD card (which I don't have)
SETTING (X: ) - I think this contains the Sony PC s/w (which I never bothered installing)

You said in your OP that you normally use Calibre -- have you tried it with the T1? Does Calibre think your T1 is connected? It's never had any trouble seeing mine.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L01 View Post
Now to the problem with the PRS T1.

Every time I connect the reader to the computer "Device Manager" throws up a new folder called "Storage Volumes" and assigns 3 Generic Volumes. This happens before data transfer is available to select. In "My computer" I see three removable discs G,H & I.

If I then go to "Device Manager and uninstall each of the three generic drives they immediately rescan and rename in "My Computer" as "I:Settings" and "G:Reader". From this point the reader works fine with both Sony Reader for PC and with Calibre.

If I then disconnect the reader I have to go through the whole process again.

If anyone knows a more elegant solution I would be very grateful.

Mike
Mike why would you do that? That's completely unnecessary. When you connect the T1 to the computer you'll get those windows popping up. It sees it like any other external hard drive. You don't uninstall them and you certainly don't rescan & rename them. Just close those windows that pop up that says device found.

What OS are you using on your computer? If Windows 7 just right click on the Explorer folder and select Close Windows. Doing this will then allow it to freely communicate with the Reader for PC.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Mike L01

Maybe this describes part of the problem a bit more.

I open "My Computer " then connect the reader to windows. Three drives are seen, all as removable drives. When I press data transfer mode these drives do not change and the reader is not seen, also if I double click on any of the three drives I get a dialog screen asking me to insert a disc into the drive. No pop-ups have appeared at this stage because the computer still does not see any content in these drives.

Only by uninstalling the drives do they then rename to "setings" and "reader" and only then does the computer recognise the reader. The pop-up windows Shopaholic refers to only pop-up after the uninstall process above because until then the computer only sees blank drives.

I understand this procedure should not be necessary unfortunately my computer has other views on the matter.

The problem seems to be that the computer initailly sees the reader as three distinct drives but all empty. Once it has decided this it will only see the drives for what they are after the uninstall descibed previously.

It seems my old PRS505 is also behaving the same way now. I have used that for about 18 months without any problems at all so it seems this is definately a computer or software problem I am just trying to understand what that problem may be.

I have tried the reader on a borrowed laptop and that works fine so I am happy the reader is OK.

Mike