Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Other: Bought a Pocketbook 360 and a Jetbook Not-Lite.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 11-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I actually bought two Kindles this year, the DX and the 3, but there didn't seem to be an option for voting twice in a category. Just fyi.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
I actually bought two Kindles this year, the DX and the 3, but there didn't seem to be an option for voting twice in a category. Just fyi.
for me, only with Sony (a 600 and a 650).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I ticked Sony, but it was a 505 acquired from Ebay, rather than one of the new models.
In fact, I've actually purchased 3 x 505s this year (spreading the message to family!).
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Sorry, but at best this poll will only tell you what device less than 100 people have purchased this year. I.e. it will be inaccurate to the point of being worthless. Unfortunately, since most of the major players are not releasing hard numbers, there is really no reliable way to determine market share of devices or ebook vendors.***

Kali, we have the potential here to survey tens of thousands of users. That's the whole point. We have no 'hard numbers' from the manufacturers and sellers. If buying people from MR respond accurately and in sufficient number, we will at last get an idea of which is the most popular device. Afterwards, we can discuss why. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sorry, but at best this poll will only tell you what device less than 100 people have purchased this year. I.e. it will be inaccurate to the point of being worthless.

Unfortunately, since most of the major players are not releasing hard numbers, there is really no reliable way to determine market share of devices or ebook vendors.
Seems unnecessarily negative. There's been about 60 'votes' already.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
I bought a Kindle 2 in January for my birthday. If I had waited only a few months I could have have a K3 - but that's all right, I love my K2!
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle DXG baby. I am thinking of buying a K3 before traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

ETA: The results will be interesting but are not likely to match the general population. The folks on this board are here because they are very interested in e-readers and e-books. The people on this board are more knowledgable about the different types of e-readers out there then many people. I would expect that a less knowlegable sample would lean heavily towards the Kindle, Nook, and IPad. There would be a few Sony's and Kobo's in there but it would be a much smaller number due to lack of advertisement. The other e-readers catagory would be really, really small.

One other small nit pick, Nook Color is different then the Nook. Should people who have pre-ordered the Nook Color vote in the LCD category or the Nook category?

Last edited by ProfCrash; 11-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***In fact, I've actually purchased 3 x 505s this year***

Sorry, Dickon, there were many things the poll software here wouldn't allow me to do. One was to record multiple purchases of a single piece of hardware. I think, though, that you might be able to poll your purchase three times. The more hard and honest figures we get, the more meaningful the survey, and the more we'll have to discuss when it comes to the reasons why.

We're getting a good response so far that might provide meaningful data. I'd suggest we keep it to adding a tick to the poll at this point and saving the comments until later.

So far, I'm surprised (though encouraged) that Sony appears well ahead of Kindle.

Thanks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I made a mistake and only listed the Kobo I purchased ... and not the Sony that I purchased for my husband ...

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Kali, we have the potential here to survey tens of thousands of users.
No, you don't.

MR participants are a self-selecting group, and are not reflective of the general public. Plus, a typical poll 'round these parts might net you 100 or even 200 responses, but it certainly won't be "tens of thousands" of respondents. And, as noted, you can't even handle multiple device purchases.

If you really wanted to know what people are buying, the best chances you'd get are to hire a market research firm. Your next best bet is to look at the equity researchers, who piece together what few clues are publicly available.

In other words, while you can figure out what MR readers are buying, ultimately you can't fill the void of data with bad data.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
iPad and I am loving it.. When my girlfriend isn't using it
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is no choice for NONE.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I voted but then I thought "This matters why?"
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #30
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I voted KOBO. I also put a thread in the Kobo section asking people to come and vote here since not everybody knows about this area of MR. I didn't for the first 3 months I was posting here Maybe that's just me...
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote