Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #61
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They're not late.
They are *exactly* on schedule; the T1 was first leaked two years ago and shipped in august. The T2 leaked a year ago and did the same.

It may seem like a longer time because the market moved two full technology generations (maybe 3 if you count the Kobo Aura) while Sony stayed pat with the T2.
This is what I was saying in my post. I just didn't quote the post I was replying to. My bad.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #62
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post

You are totally against the current competition in the matter, so...
One should know that we launched such a system a few years ago (the Sony Reader PRS-700 in 2008, Ed) and it did not work very well market.
Well, that's because their 2008 version was horrid. The new version used by B&N, Amazon, & Kobo is SO much better.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #63
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, that's because their 2008 version was horrid. The new version used by B&N, Amazon, & Kobo is SO much better.
Exactly, but this spokesperson didn't seem to have a clue about that. I'm hoping she didn't have a clue about whether Sony is putting a frontlight in the T3, either.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #64
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had the 2008 version, the PRS-700. It was a POS to be sure. But the light wasn't the problem! The problem was the reflective touch layer that floated a good 3 - 4mm above the screen that made the normally super sharp and matte eink screen look dull and blurred. The light if anything was the only thing that made it possible to read on the 700. And I did end up giving it back within a week. I had the PRS-600 too, which didn't have the light, but had the same touch layer, and was almost as bad.

Same problems too, glare and lack of screen contrast due to the touch layer. Which is why this Sony attitude of "we tried the light and people hated it" annoys me so much. It wasn't the light people hated, but the low quality of the touch layer.

The PRS-600 went back to the store also, and I stuck with the PRS-550 until the 650 came out.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
We are speculating because, according to various reports, a Sony representative flatly stated they would not be going in the front-lit direction because their previous effort was such a disaster.
a) It is pretty standard PR to say that anything you don't sell is useless and no-one would want it, only to change your mind once you do start selling it. See iPad Mini.

b) Head of IT for Sony France? That is pretty far down the food chain. Sony is a Japanese company first, and a US one second. She might not know what is being planned, and would certainly have no influence over it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #66
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Well,

If sony doesn't go the Frontlit HD-E-ink way, they are potentially killing their ebookreader business. Now they wouldnt be that stupid.

If you add everything thing up (the lack of innovation from T1 to T2, the slightly larger case and the current market situation) sony must add a Frontlight HD display to their T3. Everything else would be way out of the ordinary and extremely stupid..

Also to give an explanation of the slightly larger Case: The Kindle Paperwhite uses a capacitative touch technology versus the Sony T3 that will probably use Infrared Touch like its predecessors. Now adding a light layer with LEDs on the top or bottom of the T3 would make the case a little bit larger, especially if it uses Infrared technology since that requires a small distance between display and case.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #67
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghero View Post
From this picture:

It is very hard to see clearly, however, I think I see (at the bottom edge): micro usb port, microSD slot, power button. (also, can't see it clearly, is that a headphone jack left to the "power button"?).

All other sides/edges of the device I have seen from the leaked picture so far, are clean (beside page turn buttons). So those three things at the bottom edge, I think, has to be the essential stuffs like micro usb port, microSD slot and power button, because otherwise, you can't find them at elsewhere on the device.

The interesting thing is, while I look at all the pictures that leaked from FCC, I cannot see a dedicated front light button. So base on this observation, if the observation is correct, then I suspect it to imply one of the below 2 possibilities:

1. It has no front light.

2. It has a front light, but the front light is controlled softwarely like KPW (assume sony did not alter the image to erease the light button).

Another personal feeling I draw from pics, is that, the screen seems to be front lit:

The same picture above, if it is not altered, it seems the screen has the front light on, interesting thing here is, the background is blue. As we all know, most front lit screen on the market has bluish looks (at least on camera). So I suspect sony added the blue background deliberately, to dilute the bluish front lit screen (try cover the blue background with your hand, and only look at the screen), so people cannot draw a front lit conclusion easily, to protect prs t2 sales.

Also the pic below:

This picture seems to me, is a front lit screen with the front light off (or at the very minimum, compared to the enviromental lighting). The observation is the contrast. The screen with a front lit layer will appear to be darker (than non-front lit) with the front light off, and this picture is a perfect demostration of the point for me. However, since there is no non-lit screen side by side to compare, I can only draw this observation by feeling, which I suspected it to be a front-lit screen with light off.

So summerize all the current observation above and so far, my guess is: The screen is a front-lit, but probaly entirely controlled by software.
Wow, there's a lot of hopeful speculating going on here. Sony is using blue backgrounds to try and hide the positive aspects of their new ereader? Sony has done some stupid things in their time but I'm not sure they would even go and do that. If they wanted to hide the bluish tinge why wouldn't they just turn the front light off or set it to the lowest possible setting?
I really can't see Sony hiding specs just so that people will continue buying T2s. If people know there's a new reader they're not going to buy a T2 no matter whether the T3 has a front light or not. More than likely if people don't see evidence of a front light then they'd probably give up on Sony and go buy a Kobo or Kindle reader which would be the exact opposite of that they want.
If we're just speculating based on feelings then I'm going to go ahead and say that Sony will come out with a new reader with a 1024x768 screen and NO front light.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #68
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Unhappy

I loved my Sony ereaders, I had the 505, the 600 and the 650. I moved to Kindle as it was much cheaper, and now read on a Paperwhite. If Sony did add a front light then I'd be tempted back as long as the price was comparable with Amazon, but if not.....well its all very sad.......
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #69
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I loved my Sony ereaders, I had the 505, the 600 and the 650. I moved to Kindle as it was much cheaper, and now read on a Paperwhite. If Sony did add a front light then I'd be tempted back as long as the price was comparable with Amazon, but if not.....well its all very sad.......
I'm in a similar position, not happy with the PW and looking around to replace it. I had Sony 300, 350, 650 readers, Kobo Touch and Glo before buying the PW. Hoping to return to Sony but no light will mean my going back to Kobo instead.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buggy is maybe the top word I'd use to describe Kobo's firmware. You never know what's going to break in the next firmware release. And sometimes they break things and don't bother to fix them.

I was considering getting an Aura HD but then in one of the firmware releases, they screwed up big time and blew that sale. Then when I was back to considering again, the T3 is mentioned, so it's just time to sit back and wait and see what we get.
I've always thought that they just don't know how to fix things, but maybe you are right and they just don't bother.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #71
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Another Sony is the only thing I would currently consider for my next ereader (up against what everyone else has out right now), with or without a light. I'm not really interested in a frontlight, but I'll take it if it's on the T3. I'm not ready to buy yet, but I do occasionally look around to see what's out there when new models are released, and nothing else really interests me.

But then, my T1 hasn't had so much as a hiccup, and shows no signs of slowing down, so by the time I actually need a new one, the entire landscape could be different.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #72
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well my first ereader was the PRS-300 so I have some fond memories with Sony. I've become quite enamoured with the kindles since and will most likely carry on with Amazon for my main reader. One thing I will give to Sony is that their build quality is second to none.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am wanting a new Reader even though I do like my 650. I have a nook STR that I got at Radio Shack's dump the nook sale for just over $20. I don't like it much. I'm just keeping it as a spare in case I need it. At that price, it's worth it. the biggest issue I have with the nook is the font handling is very poor. The same font viewed on the nook is lighter then the same font on the 650. Plus, there is space at the top that's left open when the header is displayed. The nook has some very poor design choices. Plus, the shape just doesn't work as well as a rectangular shape.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #74
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am wanting a new Reader even though I do like my 650. I have a nook STR that I got at Radio Shack's dump the nook sale for just over $20. I don't like it much. I'm just keeping it as a spare in case I need it. At that price, it's worth it. the biggest issue I have with the nook is the font handling is very poor. The same font viewed on the nook is lighter then the same font on the 650. Plus, there is space at the top that's left open when the header is displayed. The nook has some very poor design choices. Plus, the shape just doesn't work as well as a rectangular shape.
Hack it.
Install a good reading app. Coolreader, MoonReader, Sony's... Whatever floats your boat.
The hardware is still funky but at least the software will be good.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hack it.
Install a good reading app. Coolreader, MoonReader, Sony's... Whatever floats your boat.
The hardware is still funky but at least the software will be good.
I'm tempted to root the nook so I can replace some of the fonts with what I like in a weight that looks OK on the nook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote