Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Has the screen of your 505 ever broken?
Yes, it has mysteriously broken 12 11.88%
Yes, I broke it 3 2.97%
No, it has never broken 86 85.15%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mysteriously breaking screen

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has had a mysteriously breaking screen on your PRS-505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I've always believed (hoped) that the Sony is less likely to suffer a broken screen because the frame is more rigid metal rather than plastic like other devices.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Actually my wifes broke just the other day. She switched it on and the top right corner is just blank.

She's got my reader now
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
Actually my wifes broke just the other day. She switched it on and the top right corner is just blank.

She's got my reader now
Can you take a photo? Is it blank or does it show lines like it's cracked/ have you contacted Sony about getting it fixed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Only the corner or the complete upper half?

Best wishes,

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

There is 'garbage' in the damaged area of the screen. It looks like what happens when you drag a window in Windows, and the previous positions stay on screen.

Luckily Kovid has increased the size of the top margin. And so I can still read my ebooks (less 180px at the top) for the time being.

The reader was bought in the US last November. I don't think it is worth my time and effort trying to get it sorted now. I'll wait for whatever the Oct 2nd announcement is and see where I go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	16421  
Old 09-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a broken substrate - the thin glass layer under the outer plastic screen has physically fractured.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

Quote:
That's a broken substrate - the thin glass layer under the outer plastic screen has physically fractured.
I'm sorry Harry, I don't speak Hardware.

Does that mean it's fixable? Can I just take out the glass and everything is OK again?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it means it's not fixable. The glass substrate is the actual "screen" on which the image is displayed.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

Bugger!

Oh well. I'll just keep formatting the books with a 180px top margin for the time being. I'll eventually get a replacement, but I was used to a lot smaller screen with my PDA than what I have with my reader, even with the damage.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Any idea how it broke?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #12
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

No idea. It is the wifes reader and it was in an overnight bag when it broke. But then so was mine.

It obviously took a knock somehow.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Quote:
There is 'garbage' in the damaged area of the screen. It looks like what happens when you drag a window in Windows, and the previous positions stay on screen.

Luckily Kovid has increased the size of the top margin. And so I can still read my ebooks (less 180px at the top) for the time being.

The reader was bought in the US last November. I don't think it is worth my time and effort trying to get it sorted now. I'll wait for whatever the Oct 2nd announcement is and see where I go from there.
Mine is about in the same boat. I had it resting on top of my laptop. My son knocked them off the table and the laptop landed on top of my reader. I too, will wait for the October announcement to decide what to do.

My screen has slowly been getting worse. Most of my content I generate myself, so I just increased the top margin. I'll post a pic later, but it's almost completely unreadable now.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #14
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
My PRS-500 is doing exactly the same thing in the lower left corner. I've alway had it in the leather cover, in my handbag, right near a fragile camera and iPod touch. No shocks in my recent memory, no damage to the other instruments.

And to make matters worse, I HAD an extended warranty that I unwittingly "blew" last Spring to try to improve the battery life, to no avail, then found out they only do one service, bascially, and then you're high and dry.

Then, just outside the paltry 90-day refurb warranty period, the glass layer fractured, mysteriously, with no apparent cause. Crummy refurb. My original screen was flawless at 1+ years, then this one fails at 4 months. You be the judge.

Now I've still got a 2-week battery life AND a broken screen. And no more warranty.

- The Inspector

(See photo below -- note lines extending all the way across the bottom, and there are also some faint lines extending up the left side that aren't evident in the picture but are getting progressively worse. Can't even read the battery meter any more.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3896.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	16714  
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Now I've still got a 2-week battery life AND a broken screen. And no more warranty.
That's too bad. Why would you return something that was giving you a "two week" battery life? Does any other gadget you have last that long on a single charge?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote