Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Linux-based ebook device and able to modify the software?

Hello.

I'm quite interested about getting an ebook reader device for easier long reading off all kind of technical documents and my own scanned books. The problem is that I see too many different alternatives and still not clear certain things.

I use Linux and I would like the most Open ebook reader device available out there. I mean possible to modify and hack the software on it, able to put my own software is an interesting advantage for me. Having a community that also updates software in an unofficial way (new apps, newer kernel, fixing bugs) is also a plus too.

I would use it also for other stuff like Interactive Fiction, the digital equivalent to the Choose Your Own Adventure books and other kind of non-linear literature novels. I found a port of Gargoyle for iLiad, so this gets quite interesting too.

iRex iLiad seems quite interesting in the hardware but is expensive. The plus is that has the best screen and a touch one. I would like to know the advantages over other ebook devices and disadvantages, and know if any of them are solved in an unofficial way. I see some people ports and develops software for this device so is another big plus too.

Sorry for my inaccurate English, but I can't find a community in Spain about this kind of devices. It seems people don't like to read and prefer to pay more money in the long run with physical books and some kind of romantical-materialist thing.

Best regards.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
timofonic,

If reading technical documents is what you do most, then the iLiad is your best choice. I know it's considerably more expensive, but all the other readers suffer from the smaller screen which makes it almost impossible to work with complex documents. But if you want to stick to one of the other readers, I can tell from personal experience that cacapee' pdflrf tool works quite well for converting complex PDF files for the Sony Reader screen.

Right now, the iLiad is by far the most "open" system when it comes to changing the firmware. So if you like messing around with Linux, you may want to consider this.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
From what I've read, of the various epaper devices, the Iliad is the only one which will meet your needs. None of the others seem to be open to 3rd party software development (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), whereas the Iliad seems to have a small but enthusiastic Linux community developing new software for it. I'm a Linux user too (though not a programmer) and after researching for a while am about to buy an Iliad, more or less of the reasons you say above. The Bookeen Cybook is running Linux, but they don't presently seem to be opening the device up to outside developers, and the Sony and Kindle seem to be entirely proprietary.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
From what I've read, of the various epaper devices, the Iliad is the only one which will meet your needs. None of the others seem to be open to 3rd party software development (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), whereas the Iliad seems to have a small but enthusiastic Linux community developing new software for it. I'm a Linux user too (though not a programmer) and after researching for a while am about to buy an Iliad, more or less of the reasons you say above. The Bookeen Cybook is running Linux, but they don't presently seem to be opening the device up to outside developers, and the Sony and Kindle seem to be entirely proprietary.
They're all running Linux, even for the Sony and the Kindle, it's Linux under the hood.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amazon is reportedly working on an SDK for the Kindle.

"The Kindle Application Platform team is building the platform and SDK enabling developers to implement, deploy and manage applications for the Kindle."

What that means exactly for any home-brew community I'm not sure. It's not clear if it's going to be any open platform (hopefully) or not (most likely).

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sof/528585942.html
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm this is interesting.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote