Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Fuzzy Text

I noticed on my Nook ST as I turn pages the text gets fuzzier and fuzzier until it does a full screen refresh. Is this normal?
readingwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
I noticed on my Nook ST as I turn pages the text gets fuzzier and fuzzier until it does a full screen refresh. Is this normal?
Yes, but it should not be that noticeable.
Are you running firmware version 1.1? Because that version improved the screen a lot.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes I updated to 1.1.

I like the third font on the list, Amanasi or whatever it's called, but I can't use it because after a couple page turns it gets so fuzzy as to be distracting. The default font, while perhaps not getting as fuzzy, maybe because the font isn't as thin, still gets noticeably fuzzy after just a couple page turns.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yes I updated to 1.1.

I like the third font on the list, Amanasi or whatever it's called, but I can't use it because after a couple page turns it gets so fuzzy as to be distracting. The default font, while perhaps not getting as fuzzy, maybe because the font isn't as thin, still gets noticeably fuzzy after just a couple page turns.
The text should not get so fuzzy that it is distracting. If you live near a B&N store compare your reader with one of the demo devices. Perhaps you should replace your NST?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
readingwonder
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't have a B&N in town. I wish I did. After our Borders closed I even talked to B&N and tried to convince them to build a store here, as our local Borders was always profitable. But alas.

I think maybe I'm being too picky on this issue. I looked at another Nook ST and it looks like its fonts get equally fuzzy.

I think for one, the clarity of the fonts, on close inspection, aren't as much improved over my Kobo Wifi as I thought they would be.

Another thing, I know the newer Pearl e-ink screen does have increased clarity and resolution over the previous model of screen, but that advantage seems to be lost after a few non-refreshed page turns. It's a shame you can't set the frequency of screen refreshing.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a B&N in town. I wish I did. After our Borders closed I even talked to B&N and tried to convince them to build a store here, as our local Borders was always profitable. But alas.

I think maybe I'm being too picky on this issue. I looked at another Nook ST and it looks like its fonts get equally fuzzy.

I think for one, the clarity of the fonts, on close inspection, aren't as much improved over my Kobo Wifi as I thought they would be.

Another thing, I know the newer Pearl e-ink screen does have increased clarity and resolution over the previous model of screen, but that advantage seems to be lost after a few non-refreshed page turns. It's a shame you can't set the frequency of screen refreshing.
You can if you are willing to root and use coolreader for reading. It allows you to set page refresh etc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
readingwonder
Enthusiast

I also understand that if you root the Nook you can install a Kindle app and read Kindle books on it that way too. But even though I work with computers professionally, I'm still not brave enough to root the Nook.

Perhaps if they release a new version of the e-ink Nook sometime I'll get that and play around with rooting this one .

I've had so many little issues with this particular model though I think I'm going to take it back and get an exchange. With this one, the little plastic bag it came in was already ripped open to begin with, so add that to these little issues and I'd just feel more comfortable with an exchange.

I did take a moment to do more thorough research on Kobo Touch vs. Nook Touch to make sure, considering I'm taking this one back, that I exchange it for the one that will work best for me, and after doing my research the Nook is still best for me.

I just wish they'd add / modify three things:

1. Remove recommended reads from the home page and add recently read books instead.

2. Add the ability to delete books, especially side-loaded books, directly from the Nook.

3. Add the ability to set how often the screen fully refreshes.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
If I look up close at my nook ST the fonts look a little fuzzy too, like news print or printed paper does (which is part of why eink looks "better" reading wise than LCD or CRT pixels). I don't notice it at all unless I am holding the nook ST about 6 inches from my face though.

That said, one of my hopes for the next generation eink screen is 768x1024 resolution, 6 inches still and 256 shades of grey with maybe double the contrast (split equally between white point and black point). Color is all nice and everything, but not at the expense of a lot of money, reduced contrast, lower battery life (though it probably won't impact it too much) or the same/reduced resolution.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote