Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
mhguda
mhguda began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Lifedrive
merge library from two computers

Hello,
I'm using calibre on two different computers, and I have different libraries on both, but there is some overlap. On one computer I tried to merge the two libraries by combining the folders and files in my calibre library folder, but I did not copy over the metadata.db file from the second computer. When I open calibre, it only sees the books from the one library, not those that I added. How do I merge the two libraries, so that both are complete?
Is there a way to merge the two metadata files? When I tried to check it for correctness in the preferences|tools like it says in the manual, this process exited with an error. I've tried external db editors but I'm having no luck. Can anyone here help me out?
mhguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
You can export all books from each library (by doing "Save to disk"), and then import all books into a new, empty library. This will preserve all tags etc. If the overlapping books are identical (same files), you shouldn't lose any files.
Be careful if you have any files that are not on the list of supported extensions (pdf, lit, epub, txt, zip etc). If you added a file that Calibre doesn't recognize (like a .tar file, for example), then it will be saved during the export, but it will not be imported into the new library.
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhguda View Post
Hello,
I'm using calibre on two different computers, and I have different libraries on both, but there is some overlap. On one computer I tried to merge the two libraries by combining the folders and files in my calibre library folder, but I did not copy over the metadata.db file from the second computer. When I open calibre, it only sees the books from the one library, not those that I added. How do I merge the two libraries, so that both are complete?
Is there a way to merge the two metadata files? When I tried to check it for correctness in the preferences|tools like it says in the manual, this process exited with an error. I've tried external db editors but I'm having no luck. Can anyone here help me out?
Save to disk all your files from your smallest library. (I assume you haven't changed options on the Prefs|Add/Save|Saving Books. If you have, turn on the two options that start with "Save") Then use the Add Books option to add those files to your larger library. Calibre only knows about the books in the metadata.db file.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote