Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Coping with capacitive buttons

I know some people out there have expressed annoyance over the capacitive buttons. I myself find them a little too easily excitable and they interfere with the way I hold my DR. Even if I lock some of the sensors, I need to rest my finger outside the active sensor range and then move my finger each time I want to scroll to the next page, check too see if I actually activated the thing, hope I didn't do a 5-page scroll, etc. This might seem like nit-picking, but the entire reading process needs to be smooth and page changes nearly involuntary. Here are some thoughts on circumventing/converting the buttons:

1. Place artificial buttons on top of the capacitive ones: We could place ordinary buttons that either brought the finger close enough to the capacitive sensor to activate it when pressed, or interrupted the field around the capacitive sensor. Anyone know what else besides a human finger activates the capacitive buttons?
I tried touching them with various metal objects (while in contact with the object), but it didn't work. This should ground the field, but I'm guessing that the detection thresholds are particularly adjusted for the human body or something. Perhaps the shape/size of contact matters as well.
An empty plastic medical pill blister works as a button. This actually brings the human finger close enough to interrupt the field when depressed. There are probably other household items that work, or buttons that can be bought at hardware stores. Ideas?
2. Use the Wacom pen button: The more advanced styli come with an extra button. If this can be accessed, we could assign this to a page scroll. The pen has to be close to the DR surface for the button press to register though, not sure how close. Of course, software would need to be written.

Other thoughts:
3. Actually replace the buttons in hardware: We'd need more information before we do anything like this, and many people will not want to open up their DR.
4. Mouse or other device via USB: Neat idea, but we'll need to figure out how to access the USB hardware etc.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
i might be completely off , but don't they called capacitive , because human skin acts as a semi-conductive surface , which enables them? if so , then there would not be anything else to act on them , other than human skin , for obvious reasons.
just a rant , sorry if it does not help at all
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No, you're right. It looks like the skin can activate the button even a few mm away from the plastic however. Our best options are then to either come up with a button than brings our finger within a few mm of the plastic when depressed, or figure out how to grab the Wacom pen button input (and buy a pen with a button).

Of course, contraptions involving severed fingers are also possible, and infinitely cooler.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
LOL , well as a Doctor with knowledge in Physiology , i shall warn you , that as a finger is severed and it's blood supply cut , you would have very little time to use it , before it becomes electrically inert.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
LOL , well as a Doctor with knowledge in Physiology , i shall warn you , that as a finger is severed and it's blood supply cut , you would have very little time to use it , before it becomes electrically inert.
Darn, then its down to hiring someone to turn pages That, or building an evil finger slicing empire.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Darn, then its down to hiring someone to turn pages That, or building an evil finger slicing empire.
Don't dispair. It is not that bad. You have many options left, as I doubt the buttons only react to fingers. I think nose, ears, toes, etc are sufficient. No need to slice off fingers when an ear will do. Oh, and by the way, you don't even have to harm any humans, as technology has progressed already far enough that we can grow human ears on mice You can simple control the DR1000 with a mouse. Wasn't that something people requested before?

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
attila
attila began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
Don't dispair. It is not that bad. You have many options left, as I doubt the buttons only react to fingers. I think nose, ears, toes, etc are sufficient. No need to slice off fingers when an ear will do. Oh, and by the way, you don't even have to harm any humans, as technology has progressed already far enough that we can grow human ears on mice You can simple control the DR1000 with a mouse. Wasn't that something people requested before?

Groen
hilarious
rotfl
attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post

Groen
Ah! After much careful experimentation (and many-a curious glance from passers-by), I was able to confirm that the DR indeed responds to my nose, ears, toes and even tongue, but not my nails, hair or teeth.

In fact, someone over at the iRex forums discovered that it also responds to the Sun! Now all we need is a bunch of parabolic reflectors arranged strategically around our seated position to vary the temperature/light on command. Either that, or we will be fried to a cinder, along with our beloved DR.

Oh the things people do to turn a page...

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-29-2009 at 09:36 AM.