Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmandegge View Post
OK, now I get told the internal memory is not a formatted drive, and would I like to format it?

I can still see the files on the SD card, so it's connected, but seems to think the drive isn't formatted?

Grr
Are you looking at the SD card or the Cybook internal memory?

BTW, you should format the SD card to FAT32 using a Windows PC. If you have a Mac, you'll be stuffing a bunch of Mac-specific folders, like .trash, onto it and the Cybook doesn't *like* that. So if you have a Mac, remove those files after formatting to FAT32 and before inserting into the Cybook. (IOW, format the card away from the Cybook. You wouldn't want the Mac to decide to add those *bad* files to the Cybook's memory.)

Also, keep all your ebooks in the \eBooks folder *ON* the SD card. Then life will be good.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I had the issue with the "drive not formatted" (internal memory) as well, can't really tell you how I solved it, I just formatted it again and again until it finally worked...this is a bit of a tricky one, but I got it working, so I guess you will too.

I remember that the trick is to format and mount the drive in the right order, but since I got it working by Trial and error I can't tell you how.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #33
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Am trying now, nothing yet, but will post back if I work it out.

I'm on XP, what did you use to format yours, XP too? Just curious, wondered if it's worth trying it using linux.

@Derek, I do have a mac, but am not using it for this!

Am currently trying mounting and formatting in different patterns

Will report back!

edit - on some restarts it knows the partition is there (have tried fat and fat32), but does not display the files. Windows seems to think the partition is full, bar about 3mb.
Other times on reset the partition is gone and needs creating again!

Am still trying!
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #34
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I used XP too, you could try the following:

Rerun the flashing procedure with the files I posted last, leave the device connected to USB during the process. Once it finishes flashing and goes to the checkerboard copy the needed files/folders over and restart the device.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
madmandegge
Enthusiast

I'll try that next.
I've just put the files to flash again onto the SD card, and now I get the Bookeen boot displayed, but leaving it I get checkerboard.

I've held down the "tick", but the flash fails. Now holding down the tick doesn't seem to do much!

Have just tried again, I get the Cybook Gen3 startup, but now it goes to the checkerboard each time.

Am currently trying the reformating at the checkerboard screen *after* the gen3 bootup logo has appeared

edit -

Okay so that didn't work!

I reflashed, but it was much quicker than before. Only good bit about this time was the formatted internal memory was still accessible without a reformat after flashing!

I shall investigate further... this is making the creation of .stk ebooks look like an easier option! =P

Last edited by madmandegge; 08-27-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #36
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Nothing yet! Will resume my attempts tomorrow morning

Thanks for all the help so far too, especially Derek and Roland
Old 08-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, if you can access internal memory after reflash then everything is fine, just copy over the System Folder (to internal memory of the STAReBOOK) and reboot, that shoudl be it...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #38
madmandegge
Enthusiast

That happened once after a reflash, but I copied it all over, and it still gave me the checkerboard pattern.

Now it's back to unformatting itself every time like it was before

I'll keep trying when I get to work
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #39
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

This is very strange indeed, but I had a similar issue...probably something to do with the slight difference between the STAReBOOK and the Cybook Gen3.
However, I can guarantee that it works and once you have managed the conversion it works flawlessly.

Have you tried formatting with a different tool, the HP USB formatting tool for example? Maybe a chkdsk scan of the internal memory would also help? I did all sorts of stuff and never really knew what really helped in the end.
Maybe I'll try to go back to the stage you are on now and see whether I can get it to produce the error again and then try to fix it again.
No idea whether that is possible, but I'll try.

UPDATE: Try this:

When you are at "Checkerboard Stage", format the internal memory, copy the files over onto the Cybook (maybe just copy the System folder with the icutdl file for now) and then don't restart the device but unplug the USB cable. Now wait. It should restart itself, but not from the very beginning but from the second bootscreen. That just worked for me, but I can't guarantee that it will work for you, worth a try though...^^
Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #40
madmandegge
Enthusiast

OK!
Think I've managed it.
I used the HP tool, already had it on this PC but didn't consider using it
Formatted as fat32, then copied the files over as I had before.

I now get the "CYBOOK GEN3" loader screen with the image, then a

"..." with a picture of the cybook next to it.

It has developed a tendency to turn itself off, but I'm going to leave it charging today and see how it goes...

all! I may update the method if you don't mind Derek/Roland? Just put in the bits I've got, and maybe upload a ZIP file with all the necessary files in one place?

Regards,
Simon
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #41
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Yep, do that.
I upgraded mine in steps, first with the hacked firmware from OpenInkpot then with the stuff Derek posted so my experience is also a bit different from the "normal" one.
Nice to know that the HP tool did the trick though...I also had it installed and just decided to try it...seems that was what made it work.

btw. the switching off is normal, that's the auto power off, you can deactivate that.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #42
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Thinking about it, it makes sense for the HP utility to enable it to boot properly, seeing as it's main purpose is to make drives bootable...

Didn't think of it like that before
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #43
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Well, thanks to a well placed month long vacation I missed all of this until now. Still, so far so good.

I got the firmware updated using DelphiDB's files, and strangely enough for me, it then booted right into a cybook. No checkerboard for me. Bit odd but such is life.

Anyhow, I then kept following instructions, and reformatted internal mem (HP tool), copied over the System folder and fonts (thanks commanderROR), and so far so good.

I'll try it out over the next few days and see how I get on with it,

thanks for all the help and hard work, especially to DelphiDB and CommanderROR. I owe you guys beers,

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #44
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

No Problem...

I hope your cybook now works as smoothly as mine does...

My only concern is that the battery seems to drain faster, whether that is my imagination or the firmware I can't say.
Battery life is still OK anyway...and maybe my battery is showing signs of old age...
Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #45
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
quick point,

for whatever reason my new "cybook" restarted with no files showing as present. It seems that it defaulted to "hide ebooks" causing a few puzzling moments as I tried to figure out what was going on.

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote