Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nook glowlight at £49 in UK

Nook simple touch with glowlight is discounted to £49 in UK (While supplies last).

Details here:http://uk.nook.com/.

This time, it seems that the retailers have them in stock. Since I am not in UK anymore, I guess, I will have to bump my friends.

After getting Nook simlpe touch for £29 pounds and realising how great a deal it was, I am not going to let this go by. Also, after installing coolreader and goldendict into NST, I am not going to go with anything other than an android (at least hackable/installable) ereader.

So, this is perfect for me.

Last edited by iamosam; 09-26-2013 at 06:37 AM.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I bought one of these when they were last discounted, down to £70.

It's an OK reader. The backlight is nice in low light level conditions, although it's a little uneven. At £49 it probably is worth the extra £20 quid over the non-lit model.

But I think that people must be prepared for the possibility of losing support rather more quickly than if they (say) bought a Kindle.

I haven't tried out any of the android hacks on my reader. perhaps I should. Certainly I've found the built-in software only barely adequate for side-loaded books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Nook simple touch with glowlight is discounted to £49 in UK (While supplies last).

Details here:http://uk.nook.com/.

This time, it seems that the retailers have them in stock. Since I am not in UK anymore, I guess, I will have to bump my friends.

After getting Nook simlpe touch for £29 pounds and realising how great a deal it was, I am not going to let this go by. Also, after installing coolreader and goldendict into NST, I am not going to go with anything other than an android (at least hackable/installable) ereader.

So, this is perfect for me.
I shied away from the glow light when it was 70 pounds, mainly because I'd heard bad things about the front-light. I think even at fifty pounds, I'd rather save my money to put towards a better lighted screen.

I did buy two Nook STs which I rooted, and I agree, I don't want to go back to a limited and closed interface. There are developments of installing Debian Linux on Kobos. For now I'm okay with a rooted Nook ST and a clip-on light.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I quite like the Simple Touch, despite a couple of annoying niggles (deleting books, and relative lack of font sizes), but since I already have one, it's hard to justify another fifty quid on a lit version. Not a bad deal if I didn't already have 3 ereaders, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd also add that Nook might clearing out stock to make way for new hardware...
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'd also add that Nook might clearing out stock to make way for new hardware...
If rumors are correct B&N will have something coming out in October or November. Don't know if that's an eInk device or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's an OK reader. The backlight is nice in low light level conditions, although it's a little uneven. At £49 it probably is worth the extra £20 quid over the non-lit model.

But I think that people must be prepared for the possibility of losing support rather more quickly than if they (say) bought a Kindle.
I spend almost 45 EUROs for the NST-nolight including shipping (Had to get it from ebay as the stores had no stock). Even at that price that felt like a real steal. This is my first ereader, and I am an avid reader. So, with excellent battery and a solid body, this was one of the best spend money. No issues whatsoever.

So for me at least, price diff. is less than £10, which considering the benefits of the light, is completely justified.

A kindle sells at £109 currently, you could buy 2 glowlights with that kind of money and still keep £10 for a movie or dinner. There might be some users who are willing to shell out that much money for a closed platform, but for me, I would rather have 2 glowlights.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
considering the benefits of the light, is completely justified.
The only thing is you ignore the negatives of the light on the Nook. The screen isn't as clear as the standard Nook ST and it's more susceptible to damage (the light guide layer appears a bit fragile).

As for comparing it to the Paperwhite (or the Kobo Glo/Aura for that matter), the screen isn't as good, and it has less resolution, and the light isn't anywhere near as good. It's a lot more versatile though. There are far superior ereaders available, but if you aren't that bothered, the one area the Nook is streets ahead of the others (apart from it's hackability) is of course, value for money!

If I had the option of the Nook ST and the Nook ST with Glowlight, I'd go for the one without the light every time though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
As someone who owns both the Glowlight and the non-glow version I would say that the current £20 (UK price) difference would justify going for the Glow version. The light is more than good enough for reading the text on the screen and that is really all that matters.

The unevenness of the light has not been an issue to me although I was in my local Argos when someone took their Glow back and the light was apparently faulty but returning it in that case is the obvious solution.

Several of my neighbours bought the non-glow and had a play with the Glow when we had a coffee/ereader morning. NOT ONE of them made a comment on the screen being less clear than their non-glows. If the screens are side-by-side in strong light (with the glow OFF) it is just visibly less sharp but even if I had known about that at the time it is such a tiny difference that it would not have affected my purchase in the slightest. The surface film that carries the light is more likely to be damaged than a glass panel but glass panels were supposed to be easy to break and I've never managed to break one. Touch wood.

Finally, a rootable device that can be used in the dark without making your eyes water. The world moves into a new era.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Fair comment banjomike, I'd still personally choose the non-lighted version, but you give a compelling argument against my view!

I wonder how much of an impact the cheapness of the Nook's is going to have on the sales of the Kobo Aura and the new Paperwhite?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

If I hadn't already bought two non-glows, the further price reduction of the glo would have been tempting. Previously it was 70 pounds.