Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
DisableGraphics
DisableGraphics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8
Can I update permanently $PATH?

I'm trying to install some python apps using pip (downloaded using the get-pip.py script, runs perfectly), but I have to update manually the $PATH variable every session I run in kterm (a lot), which is more of a pain than I've previously anticipated. I've searched for a /root folder (doesn't exist), looked in /home (only a yocto folder, probably related to the Yocto Project (they build embedded linux) with a gazillion subfolders (got tired after the 4th~5th)) and looked in /etc for something similar to a .bashrc or .ashrc and found nothing.

As the python for kindle installer updates the path (python is available from whatever folder in kterm can't think of other reason), there must be a way to update the path (tried inspecting the install.sh script, found nothing).

What kind of black magic is this and how can I obtain this forbidden knowledge? Is is because of the mrpi?
DisableGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisableGraphics View Post
What kind of black magic is this and how can I obtain this forbidden knowledge? Is is because of the mrpi?
It's a simple symlink in /usr/bin for the python executable itself, and a custom patch in Python for the PYTHONHOME & co crap.

I don't quite remember how the stock ash is built, but I suspect a ~/.ashrc would work... the caveat being that $HOME is on a tmpfs, IIRC ;p.

Barring that, /etc/profile probably works, but I suspect the stock OS might be using that, in which case modifying it would perhaps be ill advised .

If you've got USBNet installed, and you can tell kterm to switch to ZSH, all the configs are hosted in the userstore, so you can safely tweak the zshenv (in usbnet/etc/zsh, IIRC).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
path, pip, python