Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Problem side loading goggle e-books and ADE - Kobo Touch

I'm having problems trying to load some past purchases from the goggle book store and wondering if anybody else is having the same problem or found a solution?

Goggle downloads a file with a <title>-epub.ascm extension and I have not found a way to side load them to my Kobo Touch. If I try to open with Adobe Digital Editions the file type is grayed out and ADE won't allow me to add them to my library.

Also, no luck with dragging them to the Kobo application. They don't show up in the library after restarting.

Any help - greatly appreciated!

fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Sounds like your problem is not with the Kobo, it's between Google Books and ADE. Are you sure that these books were purchased with the same ID that your copy of ADE is currently registered with?

As far as I know, the acsm file is just a link to download the epub book. ADE handles acsm files just fine for me for both DRM and free non-DRM epub books, so I've never tried anything else. Is there another way to download via the acsm file for non-DRM epub books?

Last edited by FJames; 06-30-2011 at 11:15 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Have you tried loading the acsm file through the experimental Kobo Touch web browser?
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
The ascm file is not the book, it is a file used to manage digital rights for the book. To use the ascm file, either open it in Windows Explorer or drag and drop the file on the icon for Adobe Digital Editions on your desktop. Either method should initiate a process which will automatically open Adobe Digital Editions and add the book.

I am assuming that you have authorized your copy of Adobe Digital Editions to your computer. If you have not, then, you must do that first.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe563; 06-30-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=FJames;Are you sure that these books were purchased with the same ID that your copy of ADE is currently registered with?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not sure. I did register my kobo with ADE. I am not sure where an Adobe ID comes into play with an e-book purchase, other than when you try to load it.

I'm thinking about deleting my current ADE and reinstalling but I'm not sure if that will play havoc with my current ID number or just allow me to start new from scratch?
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Have you tried loading the acsm file through the experimental Kobo Touch web browser?
I just gave that a try, but no luck. Using the browser interface with kobo is difficult and I can't get to the "read on your device" where you would normally start a download from goggle.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
hmmm interesting
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The browswer does seem to have limitations such as scrolling on a larger screen then what is displayed

regards

jack
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
The ascm file is not the book, it is a file used to manage digital rights for the book. To use the ascm file, either open it in Windows Explorer or drag and drop the file on the icon for Adobe Digital Editions on your desktop. Either method should initiate a process which will automatically open Adobe Digital Editions and add the book.

I am assuming that you have authorized your copy of Adobe Digital Editions to your computer. If you have not, then, you must do that first.

Regards,
Joe
When I attempt to open an acsm file, I get the normal "open with?" dialog, I then select Adobe Digital Editions. ADE will then open but without the book. If I attempt to open it using the menu option, acsm files are grayed out and cannot be selected. It will also reject any acsm files when attempting to drag and drop.

However any standard epub file with or without drm can be loaded to ADE and then side loaded to my Kobo Touch without issue.

So, it appears to me that ADE at least in my case will not recognize acsm files.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Just for giggles because you mentioned it I did try to download an ASCM from my library at kobo. IT asked me download , so i selected continue nothing happend.

CAn you adivise?

regards

jack
Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

"If I attempt to open it using the menu option, acsm files are grayed out and cannot be selected."

That is expected since ADE only directly recognizes EPUB and PDF files.

"So, it appears to me that ADE at least in my case will not recognize acsm files."

If that is the case you should be getting an error message when you try to open the acsm file. Is that happening? Also, what operating system are you using?

Last edited by Joe563; 06-30-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Joe & Jack,

I am going to try again using one file and report back my results. I downloading all the books in my goggle library and then moved them to Dropbox before I tried uploading any file. If the ascm file works simply as a 'pointer' to an epub file then maybe simply moving the files around before opening may defeat the 'pointing' mechanism.

maybe?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Just for giggles because you mentioned it I did try to download an ASCM from my library at kobo. IT asked me download , so i selected continue nothing happend.
Maybe you'll see the epub file on your reader?
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
"If I attempt to open it using the menu option, acsm files are grayed out and cannot be selected."

That is expected since ADE only directly recognizes EPUB and PDF files.
No, ADE reads acsm files. If I borrow an ebook from the public library, they give me an acsm file and I then have to open that with ADE to download the epub.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Joe563

I copied one of my acsm files into the Dropbox folder on my PC and opening it still activated the loading process into ADE.

You should definitely try to load more than one acsm file to see whether you get different results. If you get the same results then it indicates a general problem such as more than one Adobe ID rather than a specific problem with a ACSM file such as a corrupted file.