Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Real competition with the jb/jbl... Augen's "The Book"

First of all, I'm quite fond of my jbl and has absolutely no intention to get something else. I've been reading everyday on my commute to and from the city.

That said, here is something new that's possibly going to kill a lot of the ebook readers out there.

http://www.egollas.com/us/augen/inde...mart&Itemid=53

If you surf the net, the battery lifespan is about 4 hours or so. If you have it on ereader mode, the battery will last about 8 hours. And it's got colored screen. So, for now, that's about the only advantage the jb and jbl have over this new puppy.

Another thing to notice is it's only got 1 font style, so this will drive some people crazy...

Formats it can read: TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, EPUB.

The starting price for this new puppy is about $129.99... I mean $130. God, I hate how they keep putting that 99 cents in there.

Edit.

PS - This new pupp just hit the market next month (July). Also, in a few months they will be available in major retails like kmart, menards, hsn, ecost, lakeside, etc. I'm thinking because they will make it so affordable and so readily available this new puppy will kill a lot of the other ereaders out there. Just sayin'...

Last edited by jblitereader; 06-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I know there are a lot of people out there who hate (to borrow a phrase from Alton Brown) "unitaskers", but I don't see the advantage of having an ebook reader that can browse the web.
I have a netbook running windows XP that can handle any web browsing I want. I played around with it for a short time as an ereader for books and comics. I also recently acquired an A81 tablet running Windows CE that I have been playing around with for light web surfing and trying as an ereader.
I still find myself doing all of my major reading on the JBL. The size, battery life, reflective screen, and ease of use makes it my overall favorite. I don't see myself getting an ebook reader that lets me surf the web, listen to MP3s, play videos, and take notes as I don't seem to jump back and forth between these different tasks too often.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
If you surf the net, the battery lifespan is about 4 hours or so. If you have it on ereader mode, the battery will last about 8 hours.
The 8 hours is a nonsense compared to JBL... Charging on every fourth day? Bad joke...
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
The way I read even with the net turned off I'd be charging it at least every other day.
And at times every day.

My JBL gets me a solid week.

Also what screen does it have? Doesn't look like reflective TFT nor E-ink.
I'd have to see how it compares to jetbook before I'd even consider it.

The day may come when they come up with a "all in one" device that does it all.
But I don't see this as being that device, not yet. Close perhaps in some ways.
Until that perfect device arrives I much prefer a dedicated reader, that does one thing well. It doesn't have to do anything else, as long as it does that one job perfectly.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
The 8 hours is a nonsense compared to JBL... Charging on every fourth day? Bad joke...
But people already have to keep recharging their readers when they use the more popular ones like kindle and nook. I know its a disadvantage, but I'm just saying that I can see people being more attracted to the augen's device more than the jb/jbl.

Just the other day on the train, someone asked me if my jbl was the new ipad
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
... but I'm just saying that I can see people being more attracted to the augen's device more than the jb/jbl.
If the battery was better, I'd be attracted too... But the 8 hours is ridicolous (compared to jbl)
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I'm getting close to 30 hours of reading time with the common NiMH rechargable AA
Batteries, in the JBL. So, 4 to 8 hours would be quite a change. Still, if you were to
normally keep it on a battery maintaining charger stand and only had it off the stand
while it was in use, you might find it handy around the house. Sorta like a power
screwdriver. (Although, mine are never charged up when I need them.)

My PDA/GPS doesn't last too long, with the WiFi or Blutooth going, (better than the
four hours I'm sure, but it only has a 3.5" touchscreen). It has a charger stand and
I can easily keep it charged up all the time when I'm home, or in the car. I seldom
get to spend that much time away from home or the car.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote